The Maze, Canyonlands, November 2011

84cruzer

Trail Ready
Ouch!! Sorry to hear that Chris. What about all the bling that you have installed, can you buy it back from the insurance company?

CardinalFJ60

Rising Sun Member
back in the day...

when I was rear-ended a million years ago in my Flintstone-mobile I politely asked when the guys were going to tow away my car so I could get some "personal arifacts". .... like wheels, stereo, wiring, etc... ;) the tow truck driver usually doesn't know the difference or care.

Christo has a white 100 for you.

Woodsman

Trail Ready
This is craziness. It just wasn't that bad and if it were running with the new ECU . . . again, I just don't see how they could total it. It's not as though it was completely submerged in a bad-ass flood or something. Oh well, it is what it is I guess. Sorry that it turned out this way Chris.

sleeoffroad

Hard Core 4+
Insurance companies have learned their lesson with flood cars. They don't want this to become a money pit. I would check what the buyback would be and offer it to the someone in the club. However, they don't know the extend of the damage and they can not determine it. I would have said if it started right up, then ok, but they are already experiencing issues with ECU and other components. So where is it going to end. Not a gamble they are going to take.

Last thing they want is to have to strip it down and put a new harness in it due to corrosion. I think part of it is the issue with warrantee on the work already completed. Dealership could also be on the hook.

PS, we do have a white 100 you can buy.
See member for sale section for a link. We might even trade that 4Runner if you get it back from the insurance. We can use the drivetrain.

FJCDan

Rising Sun Member
:(:(:( Bummer Chris, That sucks!!

OilHammer

Hard Core 4+
PS, we do have a white 100 you can buy.
See member for sale section for a link. We might even trade that 4Runner if you get it back from the insurance. We can use the drivetrain.

That's the amazing part of this with the ins company. I checked the intake and dipstick and saw zero water intrusion into the drivetrain. The instrument cluster was never underwater, and the majority of the elec components have already been changed out....only thing left is harness. Well, there could be sand in the muffler and cat, but that's not rocket science. For what the ins company wants for it, it would be an interesting project to take the body off and sell that back to the wrecker. Take the rolling frame with drivetrain, and put one of those FJ43 aluminum bodies on it. Might even do a SAS while you are at it.

Also, his truck was in the water for only a couple of minutes, whereas a "flood" car could be sitting for an hour in water. I just find it hard to believe it's toast....but if the ins company was offering me a way out of a commodity car for little loss, I would jump on the opp to get into a 100. :)

wesintl

RS Moderator
well, now you can make a serious offer on the AMC Eagle. :D

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
Wow - that's crazy they want to total it. Sorry to hear. Must be karma - someone wants to get you into a Cruiser....

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
My wife is sitting over my shoulder right now and just said "that was a short love affair wasn't it?"

Hahaha. You married well.

Sorry about your truck, but it will end well eventually.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member

OilHammer

Hard Core 4+
Maze trip III!!!!
Okay, maybe not. We weren't that far from it though.

Woodsman

Trail Ready
why has the recovery video not been posted yet:mad: or did I miss it somewhere?

I spoke to Chris yesterday. Since insurance is involved we are thinking that putting video (showing the event from start to finish) on the net may not be a good idea. A few still pictures should be safe though. Is this being too careful ?

This makes me wonder how my insurance would handle such as event. I did ask if I was covered when off road and was told the only disclaimer was that I was not covered if "racing" or using the vehicle in a "competition style event".

wesintl

RS Moderator
^that was Barry...

Last edited: