• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

The 15th Annual 2023 40's Only Run: Oct. 15

What would your preference be for the 40's only run in 2023?

• Saturday in August

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Sunday in August

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Saturday in September

Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Sunday in September

Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Saturday in October

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Sunday in October

Votes: 8 34.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
We are set!! Sunday Oct. 15, meet in Rollinsville at 10am, wheels up at 10:30. Meet at the little coffee shop on the east side of the road at the Rollinsville turn off from 119. This will be an easy fall colors tour, mostly smooth dirt roads. We will head up Rollins Pass to the Moffat Tunnel, then backtrack a bit to take Mammoth Gulch (a little rougher but no worries) to Apex, which we will take to the little reservoir for some lunch (make sure to bring something!!) then out through Central City. Depending on the crew, we might explore a little or hit the Nevadaville loop on the way home. All FJ40's are welcome, member or not.

GMRS 7, I will have a couple extra radios as well.

Please let me know if you will be attending, I will shoot everyone my cell number also.

Confirmed:
@timmbuck2
@Capriblue45
@Cruiser45
@OlGreyMare
@Jcbmx

Maybe:
@MtnAddict
@PVCsnorkel
@tancruiser
@madorbit - you better be here! :)
@fjc man
@hitchhiker Jake, just drive home from Moab saturday night and come up sunday morning!!!!!
@JohnnyP
@maxpowerzz
@PWCO70cruiser

1697053863762.png

Thanks for setting this up last year @nakman.I hope by starting the discussion earlier this year we can get more rigs out there!

Decisions:

There was a push by some last year for a Sunday run instead of Saturday. I am up for either, thoughts? I am starting this early as I would like to have as many 40's show up as possible. We "only" had about 5 rigs last year, I know we can do better. :) My first 40's only run was 2009 and we had almost 20 rigs!

(Ken @Romer , don't sell your 40 just quite yet!! I would love to see it on the trail one more time.)

Date? Historically the 40's only run has been in the Late summer and Fall...but not too close to the Spooky Night run. I am a geek and had to go look at all the 40's only run dates and times. :rolleyes: Our first 40's only run was 2007 thanks to @MDH33 Thanks Martin! This would be the 16th Annual run but it was canceled in 2012 due to "knee surgery and disinterest". Dates have been as early as July 31 (2010) and as late as Oct 1 (2022).

Other runs we have to watch out for:

Ladies Only Aug 26
Eclipse Trip Oct 13-15

Weather has been pretty crazy lately...and I know we have had snow issues even in Sept. but seeing the fall colors behind a big group of 40's is pretty awesome! I think it is a little early to nail down a specific date, but I will put up a quick poll to start nailing down a date.

Feel free to comment, critique, or just tell me how badly I am messing things up. :drink:

UPDATE:
OK all, how does Sept 23-24 look for everyone? Thanks to a good idea from @nakman, I think we could combine at least the 40's Only Run in as well as another work day at Jenny Creek and/or Kingston.

Saturday: Everyone and anyone - run Jenny Creek work day, then group camp on Mammoth Gulch somewhere.
Sunday: 40's Only Run - Kingston. Could also be the second work day run on Kingston.

UPDATE 2:
YES! Definitely happening.

The official run will be Sunday morning, probably Kingston or somewhere near there. Some will be coming up Friday or Saturday and we will have a group camp site somewhere around Kingston, Mammoth Gulch, etc. I will prob head up there this weekend to plan the camp sites. Saturday we will probably do some exploring etc. Come one come all! :)

I am available this weekend after all.

Most other weekends work for me, but want to get as many 40's involved as possible. We also had I think 3 new or potential new members this month who have 40's, and I stopped to help a guy last night with a 40 problem who might join, too!

:)

Thanks all

Last edited:

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
this run always makes me wish i had a 40.

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
I am sure there will be plenty of extra seats...or a few months to go buy one!! ;)

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
x2 for Sunday so @Rzeppa can go.

hitchhiker

Rising Sun Member
I would like to go (weather pending) the 40 overheats if it’s too hot outside either Sunday or Saturday

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
Depends on schedule but I would like to ride along with someone and take pictures. Glad to see this getting posted.

hitchhiker

Rising Sun Member
In the event I go I would appreciate the opinion to ride along with some in case the 40 overheats and can’t do the trail

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
In the event I go I would appreciate the opinion to ride along with some in case the 40 overheats and can’t do the trail
There is always an extra seat, would love to have you join us.

gr8fulabe

Rising Sun Member
I was going to post up to see if anyone wanted to make it a two day overland camping type of run. Point to point of some sort, with camping in the middle. Any interest in that?

Old40Dog

Rising Sun Member
Late September or early October works for me. Will do camping in any event because of the distance.

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
I definitely would be up for a 'pre run' Saturday and camp, then the 'official' run on Sunday. Anything that gets more 40's out there!

MtnAddict

Rising Sun Member
I think early Oct would be good…? Just got the cooling system completely redone, so really looking forward to this one.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
When did Rising sun become a ageism club?
Ha! :p I'll be excluded then as I'll be 50 next month!

I'll be watching the thread for details on the trail and dates. Would love to try and get back out there for another 40's Only Run.

MountainGoat

Club Treasurer
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Ha! :p I'll be excluded then as I'll be 50 next month!

I'll be watching the thread for details on the trail and dates. Would love to try and get back out there for another 40's Only Run.
You are welcome to stay at our place if you make it out Martin. But you will have to let me ride along with you on the run in exchange. :hill:

JohnnyP

Rising Sun Member
Watching this with interest, just moved down down to Broomfield from Bozeman. My 40 has been on previous Rising Sun 40's only run's when it was owned by Bob Paul. I'll be driving it down it down sometime soon. Hopefully I'll be able to make it!

First 2 photos are from the 2011 40's only run (Thanks Martin for those photos) and the last one is how it currently sits.

i-L8NMD2m-XL (2).jpg
i-6kVr7gc-L (1).jpg
PXL_20230518_022246452.jpg