• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

Stolen Catalytic Convertor

MountainGoat

Club Treasurer
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
So I was down at Performance Muffler on South Broadway today and learned that Scotty there has been making, selling and installing stainless steel cable anti theft devices for cats. Sounded similar to the ones referenced earlier in this thread. Tammy (the receptionist) told me they have sold a few hundred of them since January. Didn't ask what they are charging for them.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
@Crash sorry I did the install the other day. Pretty quick and easy. Covers the cats decently. You could get a sawzall on the back but not the front.

IMG_5869.JPG
IMG_5871.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5853.JPG
    IMG_5853.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 192

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Looks pretty decent Daniel and I hope it does the trick for you. I'd like to stop by and give it a look sometime, okay? It is super nice to have our 100 next to the house under security lights now.

SteveH

Hard Core 4+

J1000

Rising Sun Member
Just saw this worthless sack casing our neighborhood going from parking lot to parking lot at 1mph filming cars with her phone!!! Reported it to Englewood police they say they will try to get officers here to find her asap.

VDW-654? Can't quite make it out.

Attachments

• PXL_20210701_023312284.jpg
    PXL_20210701_023312284.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 194

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
Just saw this worthless sack casing our neighborhood going from parking lot to parking lot at 1mph filming cars with her phone!!! Reported it to Englewood police they say they will try to get officers here to find her asap.

They could also be looking for a fresh set of rear coils springs. The sag is real!

AlpineAccess

Hard Core 4+

Sounds like the same behavior that I saw in our neighborhood a few weeks back!

Nice snag on the picture - can almost see the whole plate.

giphy.webp

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
I don’t park my land cruiser on the street anymore. Only up our pretty deep/protected driveway. Even if I have to do a little car shuffle. My land cruiser would be the easiest target on the street.

CORunner

Wincher
Our vehicle got hit last night.... not the Land Cruiser, but my wife's Prius. Crazy too since the Prius sits so low. I could barely fit my head under it to check. They must have jacked it up.

Was parked on the street in front of our house in Congress Park. It is pretty busy since we are a block off Colfax Ave. Crazy.

My Land Cruiser was parked on the street for months with no issue (too tall to fit in the garage). The Prius was only on the street two nights. Normally park it in the garage.

Reading online, the Prius is targeted because it has more precious metals compared to a regular cat.

3rdGen4R

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Our vehicle got hit last night.... not the Land Cruiser, but my wife's Prius. Crazy too since the Prius sits so low. I could barely fit my head under it to check. They must have jacked it up.

Was parked on the street in front of our house in Congress Park. It is pretty busy since we are a block off Colfax Ave. Crazy.

My Land Cruiser was parked on the street for months with no issue (too tall to fit in the garage). The Prius was only on the street two nights. Normally park it in the garage.

Reading online, the Prius is targeted because it has more precious metals compared to a regular cat.
Prius have been hit the most since this all started. You can get a guard for around $150 when you are ready that isn’t to hard to install. We are ordering our guards later this week.

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
My wife got a text today from from what appears to be a cat thief looking to sell. I’ll leave the guy’s phone number for all to see. His first message was the he had “cats for sale” or something, which my wife thought were kittens. She erased the text and then he sent back what’s pictures below. My question is where are the thieves selling the cats???

F7B29D06-C1DA-4D97-B6D6-2F70BC1B0428.jpeg

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
See the original question on this thread. 😁 I would inform the police of this text.
Ah I remember. I read this thread a while back and forgot somebody mentioned the cats being shipped to China. We’re probably going to send it to the police, but then what will they do? Probably nothing? Has anybody heard of the police recovering a cat or busting the thieves?

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Ah I remember. I read this thread a while back and forgot somebody mentioned the cats being shipped to China. We’re probably going to send it to the police, but then what will they do? Probably nothing? Has anybody heard of the police recovering a cat or busting the thieves?
Yes they do. It's organized crime not random so it's going to be either by luck they pull over the right guy with a burned out tail light or a detective somewhere unraveling it with tips.

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/202...rs-found-piled-up-san-bernardino-living-room/

https://www.register-herald.com/new...cle_b1d784c7-1e6d-5fdf-b244-06bc31b0929d.html

https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2020/07/21/catalytic-converter-theft-raid-elk-grove-300k-cash/

https://www.wfmj.com/story/43032165...verter-theft-ring-in-grove-city-and-butler-co

And right down in the Springs they got a stolen car ring recently.

https://www.kktv.com/2021/03/13/several-arrested-in-prolific-car-theft-ring-in-colorado-springs/

Last edited:

J1000

Rising Sun Member
The Englewood police were very interested when I called and reported the suspicious behavior. The officer drove by our front door less than 5 minutes later. He also called me and asked for more info and said he wants me to keep reporting it because they are taking it very seriously. I'd definitely try to either get more information like an address or just turn that info over to the relevant PD.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Yeah I'd report that. I reported some suspicious person outside our place (with good details) and ended up being a good lead for them and turned into a series of phone calls and apparently it was helpful for the detective to figure out a long winded theft spree near us. Anyhow it might not go anywhere but I wouldn't consider it a waste of anyone's time to do it, it's legit good info.

Also, For the record, the text nothing to do with me lol :) Not this marco

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
(970) 200 0877 comes up as GJ.
Land Cruiser friend John Ferguson is GJ PD.
I can send you his number or call GJ PD and specifically ask for him.
Wait, doesn't @DaveInDenver live in GJ. What is his ###? He seems to know a lot about this ...

AlpineAccess

Hard Core 4+
Police officer in Loveland (crime prevention dude) I spoke with as a follow up also told me it seems more organized than years past. Adding to that, a family member in law enforcement(now working up in the midwest), said they have broken up several groups this year but that its rare to lock up anything more than a few low level habitual offenders who could care less about another misdemeanor charge or a few weeks in jail.

I guess they fractionalize the work. Pay a guy to go video cars and send the video to a burner. Person with burner maps what he wants to hit and goes and steals a few cats before dropping them somewhere (bed of a truck, trailer, etc.). They leave that location alone for awhile, before the next person is sent to just grab the vehicle or trailer deliver it somewhere. Then they are brought to a legitimate/illegitimate recycler/processor who breaks them down to get the internals before exporting; which to me seems like the best place to catch this stuff?

Supposedly it's tough to pin felonies on it because the guy breaking them down, the guy driving the cats, the guy videoing cars, etc. can plead some level of ignorance to their involvement. The person who can catch bigger charges are the actual cat cutters but its still not like they are stealing a car, breaking into someone's home, etc.

This is probably nothing new, and isn't really that organized I suppose; but it does seem a lot harder to get to the bottom of than a guy cutting cats off a few cars and showing up at a recycler for cash the next day with no proof they own the parts they are holding.

Last edited: