Stolen Catalytic Convertor

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
(970) 200 0877 comes up as GJ.
Land Cruiser friend John Ferguson is GJ PD.
I can send you his number or call GJ PD and specifically ask for him.
Wait, doesn't @DaveInDenver live in GJ. What is his ###? He seems to know a lot about this ...
Can't be me, my Sawz-All is the old kind that you gotta plug in.

"Pardon sir, might I borrow your garage outlet and a few extension cords?"

The 200 prefix in 970 comes from a block first issued to ClearTalk (Flat West Wireless) so it's likely a burner, probably Boost Mobile. Knowing where it came from seems like an important thing to tell the cops.

And if it did in fact come from a Boost in GJ that would concern me since converter theft isn't yet a major problem here that I've heard.

Besides with US50 closed during the week and I-70 seemingly under mud more often than it's not getting from here to Denver just ain't easy no more.

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
@Inukshuk Thanks for the GJ tip.
@OHUZJ100 If I didn’t have to worry about cat thieves (she has no car) I’d probably spend most of my time thinking about kittens too. Seems much more enjoyable. My cat has been temporarily removed due to clogging (and not ready to spend $$$$ for a CARB cat), so until I figure out a good plan for that I may just spend more time thinking about kittens.

3rdGen4R

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Police officer in Loveland (crime prevention dude) I spoke with as a follow up also told me it seems more organized than years past. Adding to that, a family member in law enforcement(now working up in the midwest), said they have broken up several groups this year but that its rare to lock up anything more than a few low level habitual offenders who could care less about another misdemeanor charge or a few weeks in jail.

I guess they fractionalize the work. Pay a guy to go video cars and send the video to a burner. Person with burner maps what he wants to hit and goes and steals a few cats before dropping them somewhere (bed of a truck, trailer, etc.). They leave that location alone for awhile, before the next person is sent to just grab the vehicle or trailer deliver it somewhere. Then they are brought to a legitimate/illegitimate recycler/processor who breaks them down to get the internals before exporting; which to me seems like the best place to catch this stuff?

Supposedly it's tough to pin felonies on it because the guy breaking them down, the guy driving the cats, the guy videoing cars, etc. can plead some level of ignorance to their involvement. The person who can catch bigger charges are the actual cat cutters but its still not like they are stealing a car, breaking into someone's home, etc.

This is probably nothing new, and isn't really that organized I suppose; but it does seem a lot harder to get to the bottom of than a guy cutting cats off a few cars and showing up at a recycler for cash the next day with no proof they own the parts they are holding.
Isn't this organized crime basically?

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Scott at AA Performance Muffler quoted $1900 for two new catalytic converters for my 80. Makes a belly plate sound like cheap insurance.

Last edited:

AlpineAccess

Hard Core 4+
Isn't this organized crime basically?
Yeah, it sounds that way for sure - but I suppose the x they are solving for in the equation is who's getting it to buyers and who's ultimately profiting from the raw material. At this point I can't find anything to learn about that, but I'm sure it's interesting.

powderpig

Hard Core 4+
Was talking to Jeff at Boulder muffler. The new Carb complaint laws have jacked up cost real hard. He no longer stock cats, he orders them
in because of the need to be ultra specific on the replacement(computer program tells him what cats to use and where). He use to carry 29 different high quality cats(loaded with more PM, same as CARB complaint(with out the laser tag), but only costing 300 installed). He quoted me to install 2 cats on a 95 80, the same as Matt, 1900 where two cats were like 600, 3 times the cost because of the CARB numbers on the cats. Not right in my mind. As for the 80 series, ON the 95-97 two different part numbers and the numbers can not be mixed up during the install.
Simply crazy what the State Government has done to Local people.

gungriffin

Rising Sun Member
If someone steals my cats, that would be a problem for future me. I would just weld in a test pipe while I figure out a cheaper solution. Given that I just smoged my 100 a few months ago it would be a while before I need to smog again. I would also probably just wait until a road trip to have new cats installed somewhere a little less crazy about CARB numbers.

CORunner

Wincher
Our vehicle got hit last night.... not the Land Cruiser, but my wife's Prius. Crazy too since the Prius sits so low. I could barely fit my head under it to check. They must have jacked it up.

Was parked on the street in front of our house in Congress Park. It is pretty busy since we are a block off Colfax Ave. Crazy.

My Land Cruiser was parked on the street for months with no issue (too tall to fit in the garage). The Prius was only on the street two nights. Normally park it in the garage.

Reading online, the Prius is targeted because it has more precious metals compared to a regular cat.
Thought I would follow up on my earlier post. Prius cats are hard to get since in the Front Range it either has to be CARB compliant or OEM. 6 week backlog at the Toyota dealership.

Local shop, Mile Hybrid Automotive, had an order in to Toyota and was able to get it in 3 weeks. This place was top notch.
https://www.milehybridauto.com/

They must deal with this a lot since they knew the procedure with insurance and worked directly with our adjuster. Deductible was $250. Cat was $2,100!!!! Plus O2 sensor and labor was $2,900 total. Also had them install a cat guard. Ironically, it is about the same price as the deductible. More for peace of mind.
https://www.amazon.com/Cat-Security...T71L2C1/ref=pd_lpo_2?pd_rd_i=B08T71L2C1&psc=1

For my Land Cruiser I just pulled the trigger on a full set of aluminum skids from ASFIR. They are having a double sale right now. 15% off using the code MUDDERS15 (ends Aug 31) and also 50% off shipping.

Got a full 3 piece set of skids for $854. Normally would be $1,288. Shipping from Israel is fast. Ordered them yesterday and should arrive by Friday.

SteveH

Hard Core 4+
I plan to build a cat converter guard for my 2000 4Runner, unless anyone knows of a decent aftermarket part I can bolt on. Ideas? I'm planning to mock up something with cardboard and then weld it up and bolt it on.

subzali

Hard Core 4+

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
96 LX450 got cat-nipped sometime between Sunday night and 3PM this afternoon. In Sloan's lake. Grrrrrr :mad:
:mad::mad:🤬🤬🤬😡😡😡🤬🤬🤬

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
From :mad: to :) in two hours and 10 minutes! I :love: :love::love::love::love::love: our Land Cruiser Community!

I meet tomorrow with a local guy doing an LS swap on a 97. And as we got talking, he can use the brown dash I recently got from someone else disposing of a parts stash!

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
From :mad: to :) in two hours and 10 minutes! I :love: :love::love::love::love::love: our Land Cruiser Community!

I meet tomorrow with a local guy doing an LS swap on a 97. And as we got talking, he can use the brown dash I recently got from someone else disposing of a parts stash!
I don't know if this applies to your situation Daniel, but I saw this when I was researching my exhaust options:
1645195513167.png

This is where laws like this don't really work. I understand the intent is to keep shops from selling and installing used stuff but for the average Joe dealing with stolen cats, what is the lesser of two evils? If they can't afford a new CARB compliant cat, then they are just supposed to ride the bus? Oh yeah, the bus routes were SIGNIFICANTLY reduced last year so public transportation ( the stuff we all pay for through taxes ) isn't really an option either.

I guess this technically keeps me from using the cats I pulled from my Hundy and was planning on installing on the 80 for the swap?

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
I don't know if this post should go here or maybe in another thread...

How does one know what universal catalytic converter to buy? I know that in accordance with the new laws, it has to be CARB compliant, but there are pretty significant price differences even within the same manufacturer. It looks like magnaflow offers the most options but a CARB compliant, 2" in/out, stainless steel cat goes from ~$200 to past $1200. This hurts my brain.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
I don't know if this applies to your situation Daniel, but I saw this when I was researching my exhaust options:
View attachment 102113

This is where laws like this don't really work. I understand the intent is to keep shops from selling and installing used stuff but for the average Joe dealing with stolen cats, what is the lesser of two evils? If they can't afford a new CARB compliant cat, then they are just supposed to ride the bus? Oh yeah, the bus routes were SIGNIFICANTLY reduced last year so public transportation ( the stuff we all pay for through taxes ) isn't really an option either.

I guess this technically keeps me from using the cats I pulled from my Hundy and was planning on installing on the 80 for the swap?

Guess I better edit that first post ....

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
I smell a business opportunity for a fab shop...@TheHoneyBadger and @Squishy! ?
They are good at it, but its not a moneymaker.
I wrapped 10' of 1/4 uncoated wire rope around the cats and frame on a visiting old CJ. I feel that any deterrent is useful.

IMG_9032.JPEG

IMG_9039.jpg

IMG_9063.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_9031.JPEG
    IMG_9031.JPEG
    688.5 KB · Views: 92

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
They are good at it, but its not a moneymaker.
I wrapped 10' of 1/4 uncoated wire rope around the cats and frame on a visiting old CJ. I feel that any deterrent is useful.

View attachment 102121

View attachment 102122

View attachment 102123
Are those the guys that started their own fab shop recently? I need to install a cat on my 60 and probably ought to have some additional protection in place since it’s still fairly accessible above the skid plate. I could definitely get a cordless grinder in there if I really wanted to.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
I don't know if this post should go here or maybe in another thread...

How does one know what universal catalytic converter to buy? I know that in accordance with the new laws, it has to be CARB compliant, but there are pretty significant price differences even within the same manufacturer. It looks like magnaflow offers the most options but a CARB compliant, 2" in/out, stainless steel cat goes from ~$200 to past $1200. This hurts my brain.
Whatever Scott at AA Performance will tell me to buy, that's kinda where I'm at.

For @Cruisertrash , Scott mentioned that OEM cats are more of a target than aftermarket cats. So that makes me feel a little better, but in the dark at night a thief would probably just take whatever is there and figure it out later.

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
Whatever Scott at AA Performance will tell me to buy, that's kinda where I'm at.

For @Cruisertrash , Scott mentioned that OEM cats are more of a target than aftermarket cats. So that makes me feel a little better, but in the dark at night a thief would probably just take whatever is there and figure it out later.
I’ve had good work done pre-CARB regs at AA. Scott and everyone else are always very friendly and they are happy to show me their work. I was quoted on a new new car from them and I simply can’t afford it at the moment. I’m looking around for something used or a 49-state cat to get through emissions in my 60 (fingers crossed).