Stolen Catalytic Convertor

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee

subzali

Hard Core 4+
I’ve had good work done pre-CARB regs at AA. Scott and everyone else are always very friendly and they are happy to show me their work. I was quoted on a new new car from them and I simply can’t afford it at the moment. I’m looking around for something used or a 49-state cat to get through emissions in my 60 (fingers crossed).
Yeah $950 each (what I got quoted) plus the exhaust work is hard to swallow.

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
Yeah $950 each (what I got quoted) plus the exhaust work is hard to swallow.
Yeah, I think AA finally caught on to what pricing is nowadays and adjusted accordingly. No offense to them, they are still rock solid folks, just charging a lot more now. I had him quote me a simple exhaust on my 1970 C10 and it was going to be over $1k!

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
Yeah, I think AA finally caught on to what pricing is nowadays and adjusted accordingly. No offense to them, they are still rock solid folks, just charging a lot more now. I had him quote me a simple exhaust on my 1970 C10 and it was going to be over $1k!
My quote was $850 plus the CARB cat (~$1000). I’ve bought three complete Land Cruisers each for less. Folks should get paid for their work, Scott and his crew are no exception, but I don’t have the cash for that kind of thing right now.

ScaldedDog

Hard Core 4+
Some possibility those who created the problem will un-create it, though with more big brother crap associated with even that effort:

The feel-good transaction tracking nonsense will do nothing, but there's a slim possibility the market could be freed of the CARB restrictions on cat sales. I'd think any D up for reelection this year would have to at least consider supporting this.

Mark

TacoDane

Rising Sun Member
Got to work Friday to find some tweaker had done a botched hack job on my work truck exhaust.
So my quad is down (that I use to plow my driveway). And my work plow is on limited duty. $2,000 worth of damage for some druggie to get a couple hundred for a cat.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220306-184902_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220306-184902_Gallery.jpg
    474.3 KB · Views: 106

AlpineAccess

Hard Core 4+

BritKLR

Rising Sun Member
It's just a change in bidness models.......kinda like Walmart versus Amazon.

4D83CC01-92F4-42DB-BABE-C473E7D0AE08.jpeg
55FE04F4-F769-4066-B05D-CD3B61A22545.jpeg

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
Sounds like the consensus for a deterrent is for a skid plate of sorts and no one here is really in the business of doing it. Not profitable. Understood.

I park around Sloan's lake, Lo Hi and Belmar enough and the risk is high. So I'm looking at getting a Talons Garage skid (380.00 with shipping) for my 2016 Tacoma and a cheaper Cat Security one amazon (160.00) one for my kids Prius.

The Runner doesn't get out of the garage much and would have to be custom. I saw the custom one in Trails that a club member made. Steve - post up yours if you fab one up. Daniels is the bomb. Nice to have friends. I could pay my nephew to fab one up since he's got welder and could do the job with some scrap metal I suppose.

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
Also posted in the stolen at DIA since it is the same type of situation.

I am the latest victim of the CAT STEALERS!!! I parked my 80 series at the RTD bus park and ride near flatiron mall and took the bus to DIA. When I returned back and started my truck, I knew immediately what happened. My dash camera picked up the entire event, which took less than 30 seconds for them to cut my 2 cats and drive off. My cats were welded together due to a hole I could not get to stop, so they would be very easily identified, if anyone cared to do so. I have reported this to the police and to USAA, but I'm sure their estimate will come back super light.

I am hoping to replace all the way up to the header since they cut the end of the Y downpipe as well. It was nice that they did leave me my 02 sensors which were new(er) and OEM Toyota. Has anyone used a shop on the north side for OEM exhaust or cats? Or should I look into using the shop down south? Obviously they are going to have to find CARB compliant Cats for this...or get approval to not use.

It's kinda crazy that they took 29 year old CATS with likely VERY LITTLE platinum left in them? I'm sure my cats were about ready to give out anyway ;)

TIA for any recommendations on how I should go about getting a good estimate on replacement of most of the exhaust, as I can't really drive the truck all over the place with how loud it is right now!!!

IMG_7515.jpeg

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Also posted in the stolen at DIA since it is the same type of situation.

I am the latest victim of the CAT STEALERS!!! I parked my 80 series at the RTD bus park and ride near flatiron mall and took the bus to DIA. When I returned back and started my truck, I knew immediately what happened. My dash camera picked up the entire event, which took less than 30 seconds for them to cut my 2 cats and drive off. My cats were welded together due to a hole I could not get to stop, so they would be very easily identified, if anyone cared to do so. I have reported this to the police and to USAA, but I'm sure their estimate will come back super light.

I am hoping to replace all the way up to the header since they cut the end of the Y downpipe as well. It was nice that they did leave me my 02 sensors which were new(er) and OEM Toyota. Has anyone used a shop on the north side for OEM exhaust or cats? Or should I look into using the shop down south? Obviously they are going to have to find CARB compliant Cats for this...or get approval to not use.

It's kinda crazy that they took 29 year old CATS with likely VERY LITTLE platinum left in them? I'm sure my cats were about ready to give out anyway ;)

TIA for any recommendations on how I should go about getting a good estimate on replacement of most of the exhaust, as I can't really drive the truck all over the place with how loud it is right now!!!

IMG_7515.jpeg
Straight pipe and clamps for now.
Go for the OEM cats if insurance is paying for it.

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
I was wondering if Toyota can even do this? Do they have CARB compliant Cats for the 80? Also, since sections of my exhaust have been replaced in the past, there are no flanges or sections any more. There is only the connection above the Y to the manifold, and then its all just welded the entire way back. I don't even know if toyota will do this without replacing the entire thing? It will be interesting to see USAAs estimate...I'm sure it will be 1/3 of what it will actually cost and I'll have to provide them with estimates. I can't really drive it all over with the way it is.

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I was wondering if Toyota can even do this? Do they have CARB compliant Cats for the 80? Also, since sections of my exhaust have been replaced in the past, there are no flanges or sections any more. There is only the connection above the Y to the manifold, and then its all just welded the entire way back. I don't even know if toyota will do this without replacing the entire thing? It will be interesting to see USAAs estimate...I'm sure it will be 1/3 of what it will actually cost and I'll have to provide them with estimates. I can't really drive it all over with the way it is.
OEM or Carb... That's what it is

Lastresort576

Hard Core 4+
Man Im jealous. Everyday before I replaced my cats I was hopeful someone would take mine so I could get insurance to cover them. Either way, with emissions being so picky with how the cats are functioning, Im happy youre more than likely going to get a win out of this!

Crash

Rising Sun Member
You must have a very low deductible if you’re thinking insurance coverage will pay for it all. 👍

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
You must have a very low deductible if you’re thinking insurance coverage will pay for it all. 👍
In Colorado, it pretty much pays for itself to keep a low Comprehensive deductible. Someone is always F-ing with your chit it seems! Whether it be God or the godless!!!

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
Just wanted to come back to publicly thank the idiot thieves who stole my cats…$300 for new MrT exhaust system from the manifolds back. I mean EVERYTHING NEW!!! Same price for parts ($3300+) as aftermarket installed, what my insurance paid…I’ll have to install myself but it also gave me a chance to do a few other “while I’m there“ items.

IMG_7603.jpeg

IMG_7601.jpeg

IMG_7600.jpeg