• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Soliciting interest: 2020 trails, events, skills

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
Hello Rising Sun!

I'd like to get feedback from the membership on what trails you would like to run, events you would like to have, and skills you would like to learn or improve in 2020! Based on the feedback we receive @DaughterofMendo and I will do our best to make these things happen.

Please post up your ideas and desires!

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
I'd like to run, maybe lead Barbour Fork again. I've run it twice, first time by accident, second time leading our annual Father's Day run a couple years ago. I'd like to learn the trail better. I know Spring Creek, Slaughterhouse Gulch and Bill Moore Lake inside and out. I used to lead our annual Father's day run on Spring Creek for a couple decades, but the trail has become too rough for stockers. I really like trails that aren't too much of a drive to the trailhead from the Denver area. I'd like to learn Argentine Pass, Kingston Peak and Jenny Creek, our 3 adopted trails. I have run each of them once, but am not familiar enough to lead them. I'd like to become familiar enough to lead them.

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
I am interested in organizing a northern co trails run focusing on Kelly flats, green Mountain and sevenmile. I have run these trails before and would consider leading or tailgunning. Bill Burke training is on my list as well, beginner and advanced. I know i just missed the boat on this one but was hoping it would come back around. Also a side note, General Air is offering welding classes for hobbyist, mig and tig. I can always use some help improving my not exactly stacked dimes and am signing up for this soon as i need to fab up a rear bumper asap

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
I am interested in organizing a northern co trails run focusing on Kelly flats, green Mountain and sevenmile. I have run these trails before and would consider leading or tailgunning. Bill Burke training is on my list as well, beginner and advanced. I know i just missed the boat on this one but was hoping it would come back around. Also a side note, General Air is offering welding classes for hobbyist, mig and tig. I can always use some help improving my not exactly stacked dimes and am signing up for this soon as i need to fab up a rear bumper asap
@DomOfTheDead, can you post the link to the welding classes? Let's see if we can get more RS members involved in that!

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
I was thinking about this earlier this week.... are there any rockhounds in the group? I would be interested in some paning/sluesing or mining of minerals. Does anyone know of any trails that would access some good places?

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Are we including Volunteer stuff here?

If so we need to schedule another Triple Survey Run, That seemed to work well last year and was fun. also days for each trail we support. The actual dates for the Work Days will have to be coordinated with the ranger districts once the season starts up. Also good to note that the Triple Survey Run was about as early as we could get to the top of Argentine last year in case we are thinking of proposed dates.

So (with links to last year's events just For You I):

Triple Survey Run (or individual events)
https://risingsun4x4club.org/xf/thr...tine-trail-cleanup-prerun-aug-3-4-2019.28255/

Argentine Pass Volunteer Work Day
https://risingsun4x4club.org/xf/thr...-kingston-peak-work-day-september-14th.28308/

Kingston Peak Volunteer Work Day
https://risingsun4x4club.org/xf/thr...-kingston-peak-work-day-september-14th.28308/

Jenny Creek Volunteer Work Day
https://risingsun4x4club.org/xf/threads/jenny-creek-workday-august-24th-2019.28128/

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I've been thinking about putting together another family weekend run, similar to the ghost town run. The objective would be remote wheeling with excellent camping, cooking, and campfire. Kids and spouses welcome. Need to figure out a weekend this summer where I can make this happen.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member

rover67

Rising Sun Member
I've been thinking about putting together another family weekend run, similar to the ghost town run. The objective would be remote wheeling with excellent camping, cooking, and campfire. Kids and spouses welcome. Need to figure out a weekend this summer where I can make this happen.

Been thinking about the same. Kinda like we used to do 5-10 years ago where it was lots of spouses and kids and we cooked in Dutch ovens. Farnham was good at putting those together. Anyhow Mila is a good age now where I could help

BC9392

Rising Sun Member
I would like to see us categorize trails that members have run and recommend. i.e. Scenic - no challenge, Level 1 - some obstacles: stock 4Runner, 80, etc, Level 2: - requires equipment, lift, tires, etc. Level 3 - Requires experience & more equipment. Put all this under "another tab" called Recommended Trails. Don't do as another f..ing thread that gets buried in a pile of s.... (I'm not opinionated:) I just hate the Forum BUT know it can be made better) Under each recommended trail we could add notes from people that have run it. I will take responsibility for compiling if I can get members to provide info.

I'd also like to see a Tier Rating system that allows us to do trails and increase our knowledge of what to do on trail and our knowledge of what our rig is capable of. I start off in Tier 1 (newby runs) and "work" my way up to being more advanced. My Level is posted with my handle. I am attaching an outline of a possible system. I want to do runs and learn - but I'd also like to get to be able to lead runs know the level of the trail and level of who is going to show up.

Attachments

• R&S Tier system.doc
    27.5 KB · Views: 194

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Why re-engineering the wheel here? Like Marco says, Charles Wells' description and ratings are traditionally the guideline for difficulty we've used and it's usually about right for Toyota 4wd trucks.

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
I would like to see us categorize trails that members have run and recommend. i.e. Scenic - no challenge, Level 1 - some obstacles: stock 4Runner, 80, etc, Level 2: - requires equipment, lift, tires, etc. Level 3 - Requires experience & more equipment. Put all this under "another tab" called Recommended Trails. Don't do as another f..ing thread that gets buried in a pile of s.... (I'm not opinionated:) I just hate the Forum BUT know it can be made better) Under each recommended trail we could add notes from people that have run it. I will take responsibility for compiling if I can get members to provide info.

I'd also like to see a Tier Rating system that allows us to do trails and increase our knowledge of what to do on trail and our knowledge of what our rig is capable of. I start off in Tier 1 (newby runs) and "work" my way up to being more advanced. My Level is posted with my handle. I am attaching an outline of a possible system. I want to do runs and learn - but I'd also like to get to be able to lead runs know the level of the trail and level of who is going to show up.
  • Have you familiarized yourself with the Trip and Events Report section?: https://risingsun4x4club.org/xf/forums/trip-and-event-reports.4/
  • The search function is also useful:
    RS-Search.JPG
  • We also have the newby runs that Jackson leads and we have trail leader training with Bill Burke. These items are on the RS Calendar.

And as @rover67 has mentioned there are lots of guides that cover the majority of trails in detail.

Lastly, if you are keen to do the things you suggest RS needs, feel free to put together a proposal and tell the club how we should modify what we are doing to add more value for the membership. The club belongs to all, so feel free to volunteer! :)

Last edited:

3rdGen4R

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Me and my wife plan to run the Kokopeli this year sometime after Cruise Moab. I'd be more than willing to run this if there is enough interest.

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
Are we including Volunteer stuff here?

If so we need to schedule another Triple Survey Run, That seemed to work well last year and was fun. also days for each trail we support. The actual dates for the Work Days will have to be coordinated with the ranger districts once the season starts up. Also good to note that the Triple Survey Run was about as early as we could get to the top of Argentine last year in case we are thinking of proposed dates.

So (with links to last year's events just For You I):

Triple Survey Run (or individual events)
https://risingsun4x4club.org/xf/thr...tine-trail-cleanup-prerun-aug-3-4-2019.28255/

Argentine Pass Volunteer Work Day

Kingston Peak Volunteer Work Day

Jenny Creek Volunteer Work Day
https://risingsun4x4club.org/xf/threads/jenny-creek-workday-august-24th-2019.28128/

@rover67 I have added these events to the 2020 Rising Sun Calendar as close to the 2019 events as I could (Triple-1/2 Aug; Argentine/Kingston-12 Sept.; Jenny Creek 29 Aug.). Are you going to lead these again? :)

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+

the tier system has to be based off of experience, not equipment requirements. Stock trucks can do almost all the trails in the area. Drivers are the limiting factor. You can get a novice driver in a built truck that is WAAAAY out of their league and have a very bad day on the trail. A skilled driver in a stock truck shouldn’t be limited from joining on a hard trail either.

J1000

Rising Sun Member
My goals for this year are to do a bunch of wheeling and camping. I am new and don't know very many trails at all so I'm at the mercy of others to show me around. Looking to find trails that will challenge me and my truck.

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
My goals for this year are to do a bunch of wheeling and camping. I am new and don't know very many trails at all so I'm at the mercy of others to show me around. Looking to find trails that will challenge me and my truck.
@J1000 / Jimmy, watch the RS Calendar ( here ) and the 4 Wheeling and Events Staging Area here. Also, if you have not done one of the Noobs Runs that Jackson ( @jps8460 ) does plan on attending that. We have one on the RS calendar for May 30, 2020 (its not in the 4 Wheeling and Events Staging yet).

Lastly, if you've done the Noobs Run you may want to consider doing the Bill Burke Trail Leader training. That is really valuable. Check that out here.