Jenny Creek Workday August 24th 2019

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Howdy folks, we have once again arrived at a date with the Boulder Ranger district for the Jenny Creek annual workday. This year I will have my almost 2 year old daughter (Mila) with me since my wife will be out of town and I will be taking care of her. I would really appreciate it if somebody who is coming would sign up to be my right hand person. I't would be a great help for me so I could watch her and not have to focus 100% on the workday and take off early if she's getting beat.

WHO- This event is open to anybody who can make it. You do not need to be a member of Rising Sun to attend. Kids and dogs welcome, just make sure they are being watched and not in harms way. Leashes for dogs.

Stuckinthe80s - Nic Jones
Paparoot - Ken Davidson
RayRay27 - Ray Romero
BerettaMato - Beretta
ajordan1975 - Andy
Fisher67 - Todd
On The RX - Adam
60wag - Bruce
LARGEONE - Paul Larger - Maybe

WHAT - Jenny Creek Trail Workday. We collaborate with the Boulder Ranger district to do general trail maintenance, post and cable repair, signage, campsite cleanup, illegal route management, and many other things. This is one of our adopt-a-trails that we have done a lot of work on to keep open and this is our opportunity to work with the Ranger District to continue to do so.

WHEN - August 24th. Its a Saturday, I hope it works for most folks... I know several work on Saturdays/The weekend and I am sorry.

WHERE - Jenny Creek Trail (808.1) https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd530033.pdf GET YOUR OHV PERMIT, they are now required and the money goes directly towards keeping trails like this open. This is a requirement for doing this run since Jenny Creek is a trail. Here is the thread on it: https://risingsun4x4club.org/xf/threads/ohv-permits-required-on-full-sized-vehicles.25153/page-2

MEETING PLACE - Lets meet at the turn off for Rollins Pass Rd. We did that last year and it worked out well. Exact location is here: https://goo.gl/maps/egxJWKyoCKo
Some feedback last year was that we could get started a little earlier so for this year lets plan on meeting at 8:00AM and we can get started airing down and doing the tailgate talk ASAP. Once were done we can head up to the trail proper. I'm hoping we won't be down there more than 30 minutes or so, so we'll be rolling out by 8:30am. CB channel 4 and HAM 147.420

Bring plenty of water and a lunch and plenty of snacks to stay energized and eat as you go. It will be manual labor so have your work gloves, wear some boots, bring a few trash bags, and some basic hand tools (like a shovel maybe) if you have them. We will be doing trash pickup along the trail as well as any post and cable repair, signage, or trail maintenance that needs to be done. I will figure out if we need cement or any other consumables and post up or acquire them. I will also share a more specific plan as it develops and we talk to the Boulder Ranger District more.

As always, bring rain gear, sun screen, and again plenty of water.

Let me know if you think you can make it.

See ya'll up there!

Last edited:

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I should be able to make it

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
I'll be there!

And I'll be your Huckleberry Marco!

RayRay27

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I should be able to be their as well.

AimCOTaco

Cruise Moab Committee
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I won't be able to make this due to a schedule conflict unfortunately but thanks to those who are committed to the workday, it's sure to be both fun and productive. Big THANKS to Marco for leading and continuing to liaison with the Boulder Ranger District on the clubs behalf!

rover67

Rising Sun Member
No Problem Andy.

FYI I have an email in to Boulder Ranger District sharing what we found on our pre-run and confirming the date.

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
I'm a maybe on this...gotta get a hall pass and an OHV sticker.

Fisher67

Rising Sun Member
Sounds great. Count me in. Have always wanted to check out the Needle's Eye Tunnel.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Thanks for posting up folks, working on solidifying things with the BRD.

I will be there and I got your back. Let me know what you need me to do.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Thanks Beretta! I think we are set. I think my wife's folks will be driving in to watch Mila (they are awesome, I am Lucky) so I may actually not have her there with me after all.

It sounds like the Boulder Ranger District folks will be bringing buck and rail material and I will get some concrete and a few buckets.

My plan is to run the trail then do the majority of the maintenance at the top end near Yankee Doodle. We have a section of Buck and Rail near the Boulder Wagon Road to repair and some post and cable to fix up. Mainly straightening posts, adding a bit of concrete to stabilize, and tightening cable. If any of you have a crescent wrench or two bring it (tightening cable), and a spare bucket for water and small shovel (concrete mixing) bring it also. That way we can split into a few groups once at the top and get the work done quickly. Typically we rig up a winch cable with the posts to straighten them if needed so a tree strap and pulleys are helpful also. I have a few of those items so we really only need like one more pulley/truck with winch/tree strap setup. We'll likely split into a few small groups of 2-3 to get the work done.

It goes like this:

Post and Cable - pull post straight, stabilize with rocks, maybe add some concrete. Tighten/loosen cable as needed.
Buck and Rail - straighten bucks, remove old bucks, cut new bucks to size, drill and screw new rails to bucks

If we finish with enough time/good weather we'll walk out to the Needles Eye Tunnel (1 mile round trip from end of road) and/or forest lakes. Twin Trestles are another 1/2 mile past the tunnel if we want to walk there as well.

Attached is my sketch of what we'll be doing. I know its pretty rough but it helps me get people on track.

Attachments

• JC_Workday.pdf
    85.9 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Well, I'm sorry, but I have to miss this. Emergency trip to Texas.

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
I can donate as many buckets as you need. Just give me a count and I'll grab a stack from work. Also, not sure if it would help, but since I work for a company that tests concrete, I can get concrete cylinders as well as cement blocks with the grouted voids drilled out to 4" diameter. Two voids per block. If anyone wants something like that ( for anything) or they can be used as a base for posts let me know and I will set them aside before they make their way to the dumpster. I have seen people make many things out of the test cylinders, ie retaining walls, fire pits, ect.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Alright Folks, I need a little help getting ready for this. my week has bee rearranged for me.. I ended up having to go out of town last minute today and won't be back until friday night after stores are closed. I was planning to get some concrete and two buckets at a HW store and bring them up with me in the 60 but now I can no longer do that since I'm not around till late friday.

Can somebody get 3 bags of whatever cheap concrete you can find and somebody find 2 buckets to bring up? All we need the buckets for is to add water to the concrete we throw in the hols for the posts.... so it's nothing fancy there.

Adam, thanks for the offer on the blocks, but for this we typically throw in some concrete (and dirt or rocks) and just mix water around the post with a stick/shovel and call it good. Maybe a few buckets are easy for you to bring up?

Anyhow, if you can help with this part of it, post up what you can do so we know who has what.

Thanks,
Marco

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Alright Folks, I need a little help getting ready for this. my week has bee rearranged for me.. I ended up having to go out of town last minute today and won't be back until friday night after stores are closed. I was planning to get some concrete and two buckets at a HW store and bring them up with me in the 60 but now I can no longer do that since I'm not around till late friday.

Can somebody get 3 bags of whatever cheap concrete you can find and somebody find 2 buckets to bring up? All we need the buckets for is to add water to the concrete we throw in the hols for the posts.... so it's nothing fancy there.

Adam, thanks for the offer on the blocks, but for this we typically throw in some concrete (and dirt or rocks) and just mix water around the post with a stick/shovel and call it good. Maybe a few buckets are easy for you to bring up?

Anyhow, if you can help with this part of it, post up what you can do so we know who has what.

Thanks,
Marco

I'm back in! No longer need to go to TX.
I need to pick up my permit still, but i can also pick up the concrete and a two buckets.

Fisher67

Rising Sun Member
I need a permit as well. Any good places to purchase one in central Denver?

Thanks,

Todd