Snow and Pizza Run Sat. Jan. 25th, 2020 Yankee Hill

bh4rnnr

Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant
So, really, really want to go to take pics. Was originally planning on driving the 4runner and let Root drive so I can take pics, but don't have any rear recovery points. Being a big run, rather not hold up the group. If there is a chance Root and I could get a ride for the run that would be awesome!

:beer::beer:

HoneyBadger

Rising Sun Member
So, really, really want to go to take pics. Was originally planning on driving the 4runner and let Root drive so I can take pics, but don't have any rear recovery points. Being a big run, rather not hold up the group. If there is a chance Root and I could get a ride for the run that would be awesome!

You can ride with me if you’d like.

FJCDan

Rising Sun Member
In

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee
I will happily trade the weathertech mat for a 6 pack. Hoping to get a bit more for the factory one.

It does have two small holes in it from the rear seat latches catching.
I can do a six pack. Any preference which six pack, or you want me to choose something nice?

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee

Oh_shift

Rising Sun Member
Hope this guy shows up or one of you have some on your rig!
B98007A7-A64D-4D6D-B5A8-B3CF3F21D993.jpeg

DFE42268-C77D-436B-B187-F1F6D94C7B14.jpeg

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee

KC Masterpiece

Hard Core 4+
Not sure about the snow conditions but we did just have that recovery in the same area last weekend that I would rather not repeat. We saw quite a few stuck vehicles along the trail.

I think it will be a pretty safe and fun day with a decent sized group.

stusic

Land Use Coordinator
Why do you think there were so many stuck vehicles?

I pride myself on understanding my situation and self-recovery. Be it in climbing, alpinism, backcountry snow camping, and (now) 4x4ing, I like to know that I can get myself out of the most likely situations I'll encounter.

Until I have the recovery gear necessary to self-recover, I won't be going out alone in anything questionable. Until I'm prepared. I fear that many of those people who get stuck are unprepared to rescue themselves, be it ignorance, lack of equipment, unclear limits, overconfidence, etc. that's driving the poor decision making.

That's half the point of why I'm going on this group trip: the risks are greatly reduced because there are so many well prepared and knowledgeable people, my naietivity (sp?) is compensated for and will (hopefully) keep me from doing something terribly wrong.

Educating the public 4x4 community seems like a win-win for everybody; emergency services aren't taxed with preventable calls and the rescuee saves a massive tow bill, but there's a lot of challenges and even then it often doesn't work as intended when applied to other activities.

So, to reask and add to the original question: why do you think so many people get stuck and how do you think we could educate people (as an organized group) to prevent it from happening as often?

Dirt Claude

Any pre-run reports on snow conditions? Last year was kind of optimal....deep snow in some spots but passable mostly.

Jeff - My boys and I ran Yankee Hill three weeks ago with an 01' Tacoma on 33s and a Mini truck on 35s. The trail received an inch of snow the night before which helped with traction on some of the longer climbs. Entire trail was snow packed with little effort to get to the top.

At the top, there was only one set of tracks running through the middle. We made several new tracks but the snow was 2-3' deep and very crusty on top. If you broke through and didn't have momentum you were quickly stopped in your tracks.

Dropping down the backside into Alice was awesome! We broke trail all the way down with 2-4' drifts. The last 1/4 mile before hitting the main road was a complete winch fest. It took us two hours to get out on the backside..

Attachments

• 20191228_112446.jpg
    20191228_112446.jpg
    603.1 KB · Views: 185
  • 20191228_145331.jpg
    20191228_145331.jpg
    628.9 KB · Views: 177
  • 20191228_150055.jpg
    20191228_150055.jpg
    636.9 KB · Views: 182
  • 20191228_104220.jpg
    20191228_104220.jpg
    633.5 KB · Views: 168

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
Thanks for the report Brad. Looks like similar difficult conditions to what we have seen in the past. Good job making it all the way thru. That last straight section coming into Alice has given our group problems and delays in the past. Probably wont take the main group down thru here again.

There are rumors that Uncle Ben will show up with Wild Rice. So he can take some of the larger built guys out ahead.

I actually don't have anyone going with me this time. So Perry - you and Root can ride with me. It's gonna be fun!

LXBRADY

Hard Core 4+
Very interesting
[QUOTE="JadeRunner, post: 339092, member: 17"

There are rumors that Uncle Ben will show up with Wild Rice. So he can take some of the larger built guys out ahead.

[/QUOTE]

bh4rnnr

Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant
Thanks for the report Brad. Looks like similar difficult conditions to what we have seen in the past. Good job making it all the way thru. That last straight section coming into Alice has given our group problems and delays in the past. Probably wont take the main group down thru here again.

I actually don't have anyone going with me this time. So Perry - you and Root can ride with me. It's gonna be fun!

Thanks Scott for the offer!

Will send you a pm.

DanTheMan

Rising Sun Member
Re-directing focus on the 2020 thread. I'll have a 4 seats open in my 4Runner if anyone else wants/needs to ride along with someone.

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee
About the only thing I don’t own are recovery tracks. Hope I won’t need them.

Attachments

• A28E98EA-36CF-4E0F-860B-2229CFE8A197.jpeg
    A28E98EA-36CF-4E0F-860B-2229CFE8A197.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 164