Raffle Vehicle - parts/donation status 032307

Beater

Hard Core 4+
Team -

I need a report back, via post here, or via pm, or via email, as to where you are with your donation assignment.

I am particularly interested in the following:

Front Bumper
Shocks
thule/yakima
rear deck

etc etc etc etc

thanks in advance

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Tom is finishing the rear deck this weekend and I will be going to inspect it tomorrow for final fitment.
Rodney has been advised of our request.

wesintl

RS Moderator
I'm checking on the ARB status.

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
i've emailed dave gore on the bumper...haven't heard back yet
haven't even had time to call 4togo on the shocks....been hammered at work every day...thinking of just going over there if they're open tomorrow after i get off work.

bh4rnnr

Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant
If theres any numbers I can call, let me know.

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
kevin found a box of parts in his shop, a lot of the stuff he was missing, but he also found that the smog pump is seized and one of the tcase shift solenoids doesn't work.

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
Deck will be done this weekend. Steve is coming over this weekend to make sure it fits before final glueing.

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
If theres any numbers I can call, let me know.

how about randy's ring n pinion.

here's the contact info

we need 4.88 gears and install kits for 58-90 landcruiser

Randy's R&P Mac 800-347-1188 ext. 5576 mac@ringpinon.com

Crash

Rising Sun Member
I have a couple of calls in to friends for replacement parts. The solenoids are still available from Toyota but have to be bought in pairs and the price is over $300!! Ouch. At one time, there was a suitable replacement from a Camry that went for $17 but they have been deleted from Toyota parts books. Between the 3FE list and Mud, no other Toyota solenoids have been found to work. There are a couple of work arounds but I hope we can find an OEM solenoid.
As for the air pump, there is a label on it that says "Do Not Oil" but can we try some pentrating oil to see if it is a simple matter of a little rust forming inside it while it was apart from its system? Toyota's penetrating oil is great stuff as is Kroil.

kevin found a box of parts in his shop, a lot of the stuff he was missing, but he also found that the smog pump is seized and one of the tcase shift solenoids doesn't work.

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
I know there were some wagons down at Yota Yard. Would used work?

74fj40

Hard Core 4+
The smog pump from the 85 FJ60 we're parting out seems to be ok - it's yours if you think it'll work..

Crash

Rising Sun Member

Chris, yes either needed part in used form should work just fine but it has been my experience that the very first thing that gets stripped from a 62 is the pair of solenoids in question. They sit on the passenger side firewall and are a mated pair, usually solenoid body is black and the other a clay red. Air pumps are generally much easier to find.

Crash

Rising Sun Member
The smog pump from the 85 FJ60 we're parting out seems to be ok - it's yours if you think it'll work..

Hi Max!
I don't know if the two are interchangeble but they might be. Thanks!

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
Chris, yes either needed part in used form should work just fine but it has been my experience that the very first thing that gets stripped from a 62 is the pair of solenoids in question. They sit on the passenger side firewall and are a mated pair, usually solenoid body is black and the other a clay red. Air pumps are generally much easier to find.

All it would cost is a phone call. 303-292-5078

Beater

Hard Core 4+
kevin says air pump is now good, but solenoids are needed.

Kipper

Hard Core 4+
no other Toyota solenoids have been found to work. There are a couple of work arounds but I hope we can find an OEM solenoid.

Check your Trails, i think 2 issues ago, the one with the collage of the world travelin' FJ60 on the cover, in the tech section there is a write-up about a different solenoid that works, not the corrola one, not even sure if it's toyota. I'll look when I get home tonight and post up. I seem to remember it only being about a $30 solution. OEM would definitely be preferred for this truck though...

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Ding, ding, ding - we have a winner! Kipper gets a gold star for the week for reading his Toyota Trails and remembering the Mark Whatley tech section lessons. The issue is the Jan/Feb and Mark describes in detail his finding that an FJ60 Air Bypass Valve can be made to serve as the transfer case solenoid. New, the part is still over $100 and doesn't fit the 62 bracket perfectly but we might be able to source one locally and it is still available - hopefully! Most likely, we only need one solenoid. Check out Mark's findings in your Trails and good job Kipper.

Check your Trails, i think 2 issues ago, the one with the collage of the world travelin' FJ60 on the cover, in the tech section there is a write-up about a different solenoid that works, not the corrola one, not even sure if it's toyota. I'll look when I get home tonight and post up. I seem to remember it only being about a $30 solution. OEM would definitely be preferred for this truck though...

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Sorry, nice thought but I raided the whole solonoid array many moons ago. Unfortunately, these units only lasted a couple months too which pissed me off and I ordered brand new array from Toyota. That was $300ish bucks! Silly me then sold the truck just a few months after that to some freaky looking former Texan. (That same guy tore out the ignition swith a couple months after that then sold the truck to a Kalifornian....but thats a whole differant story! ;) )

I have heard that there is a couple retro fit options form other Toyotas but I don't have time to dig. I also know a guy who used two ARB air locker solonoids with just a tad bit of fabricating but with great success.

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
I just called Yota Yard and the guy there said he thought they had them. Can anyone run by there and check:

3134 Walnut St.
Denver, CO 80205

303-297-YOTA
303-292-5078