• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

PSA Advisory about "recovery rings" especially this one

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
If you are thinking of buying or using a recovery ring, please just don't.

This newest one https://yankum.com/products/offset-winch-ring is the worst offender. They boast: "dissipates the heat and friction on to the winch line as it slides around the ring. This allows the heat to spread out and reduces centralized heat/friction." :eek: :eek::eek: Nope, just nope. You want to keep heat away from synthetic line.

Just use a pulley block. They work.

Thank you.

Lastresort576

Hard Core 4+
I saw these and also wondered why reinvent the wheel on this one, to save weight from a snatch block? silly.

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
Heat is also bad for rock climbing soft gear but we have ropes sliding on metal all over the place without significant heat buildup, we rarely use pulleys (really only for setting up mechanical advantage for hauling). I'm extremely skeptical that this puts any appreciable amount of heat into any section of winch line. Perhaps worth emailing them though and see if they can give you any hard test results.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
For a normal pulley block setup I'd have to agree, these always felt little off to me. Like this setup:

winchringsnatch_1024x1024@2x.jpg

But if you just need to alter the winch line path a little bit, this one doesn't look so bad:
yankumorangejeepwinchingwithsnatchring_1024x1024@2x.jpg

But then again why not just run the line through the bow shackle. :confused: I dunno.

KC Masterpiece

Hard Core 4+
Drat. I just bought two of these. The local shop told me they were better than snatch blocks for synthetic line.

dan1554

RS Moderator
Staff member
Do they get physically hot? Definitely concerning if so.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Heat is also bad for rock climbing soft gear but we have ropes sliding on metal all over the place without significant heat buildup, we rarely use pulleys (really only for setting up mechanical advantage for hauling). I'm extremely skeptical that this puts any appreciable amount of heat into any section of winch line. Perhaps worth emailing them though and see if they can give you any hard test results.
1) Climbing loads are MUCH lower than vehicle winching. That's why. Most climbing rigging never need to be rated past 25kN (while not directly comparable to weight, about 5,600 lbs rated) or hold loads over a few hundred pounds. Often you use a 10:1 safety factor to hold a human overhead. We use higher loads and lover (3:1 or 5:1) safety factors for horizontal movement.
2) Why use a system that adds any heat to a heat sensitive line? Zero benefit to these rings. If you tell me that its because they are lighter, go weigh your truck.

For a normal pulley block setup I'd have to agree, these always felt little off to me. Like this setup:
But if you just need to alter the winch line path a little bit, this one doesn't look so bad:

But then again why not just run the line through the bow shackle. :confused: I dunno.
Bow shackles have even less surface area and will focus more heat.

Drat. I just bought two of these. The local shop told me they were better than snatch blocks for synthetic line.
Return them. Serious. The shop is wrong. Rings are not better, just different. All the evidence is against "better". Its just marketing. People will say "they're fine" - sure, probably most of the time, but why start with equipment you are making excuses for.

The ARB 20,000 LB pulley block is a very good one for our sized trucks. A jeep or mini-truck could be ok with a 15,000, but better to have more margin with a 20,000. Master Pull is good. Safe Xtract is great and mostly overkill for us. Don't buy on Amazon.

Will a ring mostly work? Probably. But why use a lesser practice when the best practice is easy to obtain? To save 4 lbs in your 5-7,000 lb truck? If heat does fail a rope it will be under that time when you have the highest load because you are in the sketchiest situation. And we have not even talked about failure to retain the rope under slack condition.

Also, you will be going against at least one rope manufacturer's recommendation. The following information is from the manufacturer of Amsteel Blue, one of the best and most common ropes. Amsteel is HMPE. Critical temp is 150F. "High temperatures can be generated when ... running them over stuck or non-rolling sheaves or rollers." That means don't run synthetics over non rolling sheaves. A ring is a sheave. A pully spins on an axle. A ring does not harm winch rope when the ring rotates. Using rotating rings the heat is generated against the soft shackle going through the hole. Still bad and wholly unnecessary. We don't know the actual heat tolerance of "Amazon" and off brand ropes. (use link above or Google "Samson Rope Warning Insert")

1684776376363.png

Last edited:

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
I'd want to double check but using this website, https://www.omnicalculator.com/physics/tension
If the angle is 10 degrees and there is a 2,800 lb pull to move that jeep, you are putting 500 lbs on the point on the ring.

That soft shackle is rigged incorrectly. Load is best placed against the rope below the noose. That way you do not rely on knot strength. , Further reducing credibility of this seller. Again, not horrible, but why do it when best-practice is easily achieved?

If you use a pulley you don't need a soft shackle in this rig. You get a better pull angle (closer to rock) and one less potential failure point.

DanS

Rising Sun Member
I don't think they are useless, but I'm with Daniel--seems like unneeded heat and friction.

That said, I'd be real tempted to take a worn out line and a ring, do a test with an IR thermometer to see just how hot they are.

That said, I'd bet you could use a ring with synthetic line while spraying water on it and it'd stay pretty cool.

Dan

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
That said, I'd bet you could use a ring with synthetic line while spraying water on it and it'd stay pretty cool.
So add a spray bottle full of water to your kit and stand right next to a winch line under load (or if winching solo stop/start repeatedly as you run back and forth with water?
.... Asking for a friend. ;)

dan1554

RS Moderator
Staff member
I get the concern and I think, without seeing data of rope wear, that it's valid. I'd still like to see a test and some data. If I was a YouTube personality this would be a great topic and probably net some views.

KC Masterpiece

Hard Core 4+
Im thinking about this more. Is the ring supposed to remain static during the recovery?

I thought that the that the ring spun on the soft shackle and since both were a relativley low friction material heat would be minimal. I do see how regardless of the friction coefficient when we are talking over 10k lbs of load things change quite a bit.

I do have an old synthetic line and some rings I would be happy to donate to an experiment. In my last recovery attempt we snapped a winch line which gave me a much better appreciation for the physics involved in recoveries. In my defense that ship had sailed before I got to the party.

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
Depends on the application with climbing. A figure 8 is only used for short repels where a rack with rollers is used for longer decent to keep from glazing the rope.
I assumed that those rings had a center ring, bearing, and outer ring. Apparently they are just a metal ring? I will stick with the device that causes the least amount of friction.

MonPetiteShoe

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
It looks like the center feature is off set specifically so that the ring won't spin at all on the soft shackle. See: Yankum product description: "The off-set center hole stops the ring from rotating on the soft shackle attachment." Don't f*ck the soft shackle, f*ck the winch line.

Let's do some experiments... Data, Data, Data. We need a couple rigs, a thermometer, and a dash of reckless abandon.

That product description has a few red flags. My favorite is the "ALL (snatch blocks) do the same thing, anchor to a soft shackle where the soft shackle allows the ring to spin along with the winch line as it goes around it. This puts all the friction on the soft shackle holding the winch ring."

...Yes, that is what soft shackles were supposed to do. I'd rather replace a soft shackle than a winch line.
I'd rather swap a soft shackle out for a bow shackle because a soft shackle failed. I'd rather not see a failed winch line while I'm trying to recover.

Maybe people like keeping their recoveries spicy. Maybe people like replacing winch lines per-maturely.

Last edited:

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member

DanS

Rising Sun Member
So add a spray bottle full of water to your kit and stand right next to a winch line under load (or if winching solo stop/start repeatedly as you run back and forth with water?
.... Asking for a friend. ;)
You just need a super soaker. That way you'll be super safe!

Dan

60wag

Rising Sun Member
Do you need to de-rate synthetic winch line when wet? I think that is the case for conventional rope. For sailing, the rating of a line drops when wet, probably for climbing too.