Oh joy, P0401 is back... (and how 80's fail emissions)

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Alright, alright, I get it now... so two years ago I would have passed no problem, but because the rules changed now I no longer pass? So my truck that two years ago was A-OK according to the State of Colorado air quality standards today is deemed to be over-polluting.

Kind of like making an older house meet today's building codes when it gets remodeled? Ok this is a little political now isn't it..

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Alright, alright, I get it now... so two years ago I would have passed no problem, but because the rules changed now I no longer pass? So my truck that two years ago was A-OK according to the State of Colorado air quality standards today is deemed to be over-polluting.

Kind of like making an older house meet today's building codes when it gets remodeled? Ok this is a little political now isn't it..

Very good Grasshopper! :thumb::thumb:

word_kung_fu.jpg

Crash

Rising Sun Member

Home insurance companies have been sticking it to us for more than 20 years, in my experience, in the exact same way. It goes beyond the Republicrat/Demopublican divides.

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
Speaking of ritter, you have three days to order stuff off the internet before you have to pay taxes.:mad:

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Speaking of ritter, you have three days to order stuff off the internet before you have to pay taxes.:mad:

Jeebus, and I heard an advert on the radio yesterday saying to contact your local legislators to squelch an effort to tax music played on the radio? Didn't catch the full gist of the story so if anyone knows, please fill us in. Christo, you are going to have to move father away that from the Front Range to get away from this BS as you were mentioning recently. :confused:

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Didn't catch the full gist of the story so if anyone knows, please fill us in.
Colorado HB10-1193

A BILL FOR AN ACT CONCERNING THE COLLECTION OF 101 SALES AND USE TAXES ON SALES MADE BY OUT-OF-STATE RETAILERS.

Bill Summary

Section 1 of the bill relates to current law requiring a retailer to collect sales tax from a person residing in this state only if the retailer has sufficient connections with this state. Commencing March 1, 2010, section 1 articulates a presumption that any out-of-state retailer that has a referral relationship with an affiliate has an obligation to collect sales tax. The bill specifies that the presumption may be rebutted by the out-of-state retailer if the retailer can show that the affiliate with whom the retailer has such a relationship did not engage in active solicitation. The bill defines an affiliate as a person residing in this state that solicits business by means of a public forum in this state.

Section 2 specifies that, for purposes of any efforts to collect use tax, the executive director of the department of revenue may issue a subpoena to any out-of-state retailer if the out-of-state retailer refuses to voluntarily furnish specific information when requested and may take the out-of-state retailer's testimony under oath. If the out-of-state retailer fails or refuses to respond to the subpoena and give testimony, the executive director may apply to any judge of the district court of the state of Colorado for an attachment against the out-of-state retailer for contempt.

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Colorado HB10-1193

A BILL FOR AN ACT CONCERNING THE COLLECTION OF 101 SALES AND USE TAXES ON SALES MADE BY OUT-OF-STATE RETAILERS.

<snip>
Thanks Dave, but I was looking for info on the taxation of music played on the radio. I bet that you know the answers, or will shortly, on that issue too.
Hey, did I leave my cooler there the other night? The contents are probably long gone but that's cool.

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
Wow - I feel partially responsible for sparking this political debate in the Tech forum.....:eek:

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Might have to have the guy with the "powah" split this thread :D

I know I will want to refer back to this thread in an attempt to remember what to do when my LX and 80 fail emissions (which seems almost inevitable)...

That said, the politics behind why my trucks fail an arbitrary test down the road (and the tangents taken) is interesting but for sure those discussions belong over in the political forum...

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Thanks Dave, but I was looking for info on the taxation of music played on the radio. I bet that you know the answers, or will shortly, on that issue too.
Hey, did I leave my cooler there the other night? The contents are probably long gone but that's cool.
Contents are very much intact. Didn't realize there was Keystone in there until the next day, so it was already warm. 'Course that probably won't make it taste any worse. :) You also left your gloves I think.

BTW, not familiar with taxing radio music but I know Radio 1190 was concerned a year or two ago about the way royalties would be collected on streaming music. Don't think it impacted broadcast radio, but I dunno.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
thread.gif

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Might have to have the guy with the "powah" split this thread :D

I know I will want to refer back to this thread in an attempt to remember what to do when my LX and 80 fail emissions (which seems almost inevitable)...

That said, the politics behind why my trucks fail an arbitrary test down the road (and the tangents taken) is interesting but for sure those discussions belong over in the political forum...

I tried to move most of this page and half of the last page, but I'm not a mod over in Poli-ville, so couldn't do it.

But I was at Checker today, picked up a bottle of Lucas fuel injector cleaner for $10.83 including tax. Guy behind the counter said that's the best stuff, and if you were close on NOx you'll pass with this stuff for sure. Go fill up, run half of it down, then take the test. So that's the plan...

Then while I was there another dude was in there with a CEL asking if they had an OBDII card reader. Same guy behind the counter said they can't pull codes anymore due to liability reasons. wtf? :confused: I overheard them and said "hey man I'll pull your code for ya, let's go" and out to the parking lot we went. Turns out he's in a 1999 Taco, first thing he says is "is that your 80?" :D And he happens to have a 40 at home.. go figure, small world huh? So Lars if you're reading this welcome back to the forum man. :cheers: Also I hope you get your PO171 figured out, a solution probably better left to a different thread.. ;)

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Hey Tim...

There is a thread over on MUD titled "Colorado Emissions Failure" - In short a guy in Colorado was buying a '94 FZJ80 but the 80 was failing NOX...

Here was his follow up:

Thought I'd bring the thread to a conclusion. Seller had new cats put on and it passed with a 1.7 NOX. I'm pretty sure he had it done at the dealership and he said the mechanic told him that they had been seeing a lot of 80 series in the shop with these issues since the NOX limit dropped from 9 to 4.

Seller also said the dealer, who had earlier in the process replaced the oxygen sensor, told him that a failed oxygen sensor took out the cats because the engine was running too rich.

But in any case, I'll be picking it up in the next few days.

I have a feeling that many of us 80 owners will be replacing cats and O2 sensors over the next couple years, if they haven't already been replaced.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
I have a feeling that many of us 80 owners will be replacing cats and O2 sensors over the next couple years, if they haven't already been replaced.
Minitruck guys too, O2s at least.
Most of us used to wait until they threw a code. But they are marginal waaaaaay before that. I am deciding whether an O2 would pay for itself in improved mileage alone. Maybe not right way, but probably can't wait toooo long.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
I am deciding whether an O2 would pay for itself in improved mileage alone. Maybe not right way, but probably can't wait toooo long.

I've had the same "wonderings" :) - I've been told you don't replace the O2 sensors until they throw a code...Makes sense but if they gradually reduce their effectiveness and start affecting mileage a little more every year, one would think new O2 sensors could at least pay for themselves over their lifetime, if not more than pay for themselves :confused:

It seems though that it is almost prudent to replace both the cats and the O2 sensors together though if there is a chance a bad O2 sensor will burn out a cat...