Oh joy, P0401 is back... (and how 80's fail emissions)

corsair23

Hard Core 4+

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Well my plan today is get some fuel additive, and try to put another 200 miles on the 80 this weekend with a new air cleaner. Then get some new gas, warm up the truck and see if I can squeak by on the retest.

At some point I'd like to replace the whole mess, and be done with all the dents & rattles down there, possibly get a little HP gain... but in the mean time if I can pass emissions and keep the CEL at bay I'm ok with putting this one off. I'd rather have a new inverter :)

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
I like that setup and Baktash seems like a good dude...That said, ever since Hulk had the issue with passing with just one cat, I'm thinking you've got to go with two cats :confused:

That is a great setup for normally aspirated trucks! 1 cat is more than sufficient for the sniffer but if the droids at ACC actually look and know how to read the e-info on the sticker under your hood they see that it states (2) 3way cat which means a single will fail a visual. Nothing in the droid manual says the cats have to be the same shape only that both have to be a 3 way so you could use the one in the picture then add a performance type spun high flow after it and still have enough room to go up and over.

wesintl

RS Moderator
my thought when the time comes is to buy his y down pipe and add the 2nd bosal or whomever 2nd cat and stock rest of the way.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Ok I just got back from driving 35 miles, about 45 minutes. Front of the first cat is 615° F, then 616°. the second cat measures 607° then 673°. While I was at it, both diffs measured 97°, the transmission pan 109, oil pan 165 and t-case drain plug 118.5. Once you get under there with the laser thermometer it's hard to control yourself..
You forgot a few things.
1) your forehead
2) your left shoe
3) the cat. No, the furry one.
4) the neighbor's door frame versus yours (leaking heat)

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
1 cat is more than sufficient for the sniffer but if the droids at ACC actually look and know how to read the e-info on the sticker under your hood they see that it states (2) 3way cat which means a single will fail a visual.

I had a single cat that replaced both of the stock units, installed by AA Performance Muffler. Scott said the newer cats are more efficient and he thought it would take care of everything. The droids at ACC never questioned it, but the actual test results caused me to fail. Had the test results been better, I would have passed with 1 cat, no problem. I replaced the O2 sensors, but this didn't fix the problem. Finally, we put a second cat behind the first, and my test results were excellent.

sleeoffroad

Hard Core 4+
The last 4 to five times we took a vehicle to the emissions on McIntire and 58th, the checked the number of cats and failed if it was not right. The one on Wadsworth, did not. Go figure.

I am ready to move to someplace without this BS.

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Businesses feel the same way when choosing a place to locate, and hire folks.

Careful who you vote for.

Bikeman

Hard Core 4+
Regarding the EMS system, I don't like the tailpipe location. You will crunch it. The best tailpipe exit would be a turndown right in front of the rear bumper. Also, I've heard that the EMS system will produce the infamous whistle.

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
So is the predominant issue that 15 year old Cruisers have aging cat's that need to be replaced because they've exceed their service life? Or is it more complicated than that?

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
So is the predominant issue that 15 year old Cruisers have aging cat's that need to be replaced because they've exceed their service life? Or is it more complicated than that?

Sorta.......the problem is that your elected officials don't only want your old cat off the road they want the vehicle it's on off. Beginning of last year the e standard was tightened by 35%. Those quick thinking readers out there quickly realize that their 10-15 year old vehicle was not designed at the factory to meet the new standards......hmmmmm. Now you even procrastinated too long and you can't even take the $4500 Cash For Clunkers money...... So to help the failing economy you need to go further into debt and buy a new vehicle that will meet the new standards so your borrowed money can further bail out failing American auto manufactures! Screw recycling....we have "hope!" :rant:

The NOX standards were reduced even greater then 35%, though not sure where the 35% number came from. I've heard 35% from my manager also, he attends the Air Care info classes on a regular basis.

1992 4runner as an example

2008 test pass maximum measured in GPM (grams per mile)

HC 4.0
CO 25.0
NOX 9.0

2010 maximum readings in GPM

HC 1.2
CO 15.0
NOX 2.5

I'd fix your EGR the correct way and see what your numbers return. Your cats could be ok but your numbers skewed due to the very high NOX readings. Not saying that your cats O2 storage is very good anymore and you still might need cats, just replacing them is masking the real issue of a failed emissions control componet.

Last edited:

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Ran into this last year on the 80 too...My link

Here were the changes from 2007 to 2009 :eek:

E-Tests.JPG

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Sorta.......the problem is that your elected officials don't only want your old cat off the road they want the vehicle it's on off. Beginning of last year the e standard was tightened by 35%. Those quick thinking readers out there quickly realize that their 10-15 year old vehicle was not designed at the factory to meet the new standards......hmmmmm. Now you even procrastinated too long and you can't even take the $4500 Cash For Clunkers money...... So to help the failing economy you need to go further into debt and buy a new vehicle that will meet the new standards so your borrowed money can further bail out failing American auto manufactures! Screw recycling....we have "hope!" :rant:

Not to defend anyone, but wasn't it a Ritter push that got the state emission limits tightened up so?