• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

nakman's 60 build

CardinalFJ60

Rising Sun Member
Then I hit a snag, but kinda expected this one. My hood lifter spring doodad hits the switch when you lower the hood.
View attachment 90985

So that thing is off for now, I've already got the lifter struts so next mod is to give the hood some gas strut lifters, but right now my little plastic panel is in the way of the screw hole that all the ih8mud threads show to use. So I need to either move that, or find another way to mount the lifter, or figure something out. I'm sure I can figure it out, until then I'll just not run a spring on that side.
FWIW. I put my solenoid on that black cover thing on the firewall. I can't tell how big that controller is.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
FWIW. I put my solenoid on that black cover thing on the firewall. I can't tell how big that controller is.
yeah thought of that... my other plan B is to move that circuit breaker to right next to the battery, then the winch switch could slide down and it would all work. Hey where's your radiator overflow? same spot?

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Oh whoa.. does it ever over flow? does it drip onto the starter?

that's a man style compressor shelf though.. dig it. something like that is on the list here, but way down...

CardinalFJ60

Rising Sun Member
nope. so far so good. that compressor shelf was a 15min. brainstorm with Jim Beeden back in the days of Solid Rock Off Road made from scrap in his garage. there are factory threaded holes in the frame we attached it to. (y)

BritKLR

Rising Sun Member
Awesome build! Love the paint ship as well!
Here's one I built about 11 years ago. Solid place to install your compressor with easy access to air up your tires. Cheers.
AE1C60F7-6896-46F6-A4D2-58AFD3D6CFF9.jpeg
6FE3F517-1DD0-412E-93AB-06E93B4DF660.jpeg
F3BB7803-5361-407E-A56B-F5B4ACDF680B.jpeg
43C26D46-B3D0-458A-9B6B-4B4A14350008.jpeg

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Today I made a jerry can holder for my 2nd swingout. My rear bumper came with 2 arms, the second shorter one had nothing on it, the idea being over time I could add whatever bolt-on accessory I desire. And my first desire is to carry extra fuel and water, in anticipation of some extended desert time this spring. So the product was a combination of 2 cheap gas can holders, a repurposed prototype ladder, and a couple hunks of angle.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XYZJD5Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 is the can holder

So basically I bolted the 2 can holders together. then I cut a couple pieces of angle, and chopped up the ladder to make a little shelf that would rest on top of the swing-out arm. Zapped that all together, then I welded the can holders to the ladder. True to form, 75% of my welds are fairly decent, some I missed altogether, but there are enough of them that even if a few crack there should be plenty of good welded meat holding these bits together, I'm not worried. The 2" angle is kind of nice also, in that I was successful in producing a tight little slip fit down and around the swingout arm, so this actually will slide down and stay put under its own weight, and doesn't even jiggle. I then drilled and tapped threads for 4 M8 bolts, which will keep the can carrier down tight to the swingout arm, but there's almost no load on the bolts as it's just not possible for this thing to twist or lift up. On to the pics...

IMG_3276.jpg
IMG_3277.jpg
IMG_3278.jpg
IMG_3279.jpg

fyffer

Rising Sun Member
Darned, just read the whole thread (took a while) that is one of the the sweetest looking and built 60 I've seen. Love to check it out for real, so much good work I'd love to replicate. But priorities/funds/location and tools pending, hope to get there myself someday. Great work Tim. Sweat, blood and tears. SWEEEEET

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
@fyffer thank you! yeah it's been a fun project for sure, happy to show it off anytime. It'll be at Cruise Moab if you're there?

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
Hey Tim, I just finished reading through the entire build. Its a beautiful truck, thanks for documenting the process.

I was curious about the sound deadening...did you notice much difference? Would you do it again, add more, whatever? Thanks!

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Hey Tim, I just finished reading through the entire build. Its a beautiful truck, thanks for documenting the process.

I was curious about the sound deadening...did you notice much difference? Would you do it again, add more, whatever? Thanks!
HI Scott, yes 100%, would have been worth doing more also. I bought the cheaper "cargo area" kit which didn't come with as much as the other kit, would have been nicer to really do the insides of all 4 doors, and the insides of the rear fenders. If you knock on the body with your knuckle you can hear a significant difference where the dampening is.. and it's definitely quieter inside as a result. Very happy with the product.

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
Thanks @nakman I am thinking about doing it on my 100. Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing your 60 in action at CM!

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Getting a few last minute mods knocked out before Cruise Moab... I hooked up the circuit breaker for the rear power, and ran 4ga wires back along the passenger side to power it. It's nice to have those wood panels, makes screwing on stuff like this pretty easy, and I don't have to hesitate about putting a hole through something original. I also added a solar charge controller, which I'll pair most often with a 120watt foldable panel. this is the right amount of sophistication I want for solar- I can leave that panel plugged in all the time if I want, then when I deploy it it'll just hang from one of my roof rack bolts.

IMG_3412.jpg

IMG_3413.jpg

That fuse block now allows me to hook up my Ham Radio, which is a used FTM-350 I picked up a few years ago. So that's got power now. Still using a mag mount antenna, I have the cable & antenna I want to run but still need to design a fender mount bracket... not gonna happen super soon so I'll just run the mag mount for a while, not ideal but nbd.

IMG_3402.jpg

The radio body is behind the e-brake, so the speaker essentially pointed right at me. And I used an angle bracket bolted through where the lock used to be on the Tuffy console to mount the head unit. This allows me to rest my arm on the console when manipulating the radio, and still provides clearance to access all my usb chargers below it.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
This week I made a coffee table. Materials were some 1/2" flat stock from Home Depot, and the biggest cheapest butcher block cutting board Walmart had to offer... also some weld nuts and gussets taken from stock, I already had the paint. So I think I'm into this for $20..

There are some side channels on those jerry can holders I bought, so I zapped the weld nuts to them outside the existing holes.

IMG_3440.jpg

Here's the table frame all welded up...

IMG_3441.jpg

And the cutting board top.

IMG_3442.jpg

Put those two together and I've got a little coffee table. it is stable enough to hold up a beer as long as no one bumps into it, but on grass or dirt I can just spear those legs down into the earth to gain more stability. I don't mind it being a little on the shaky side, keeps the weight down and I didn't want to build a chair or stepstool, this is a coffee table.

IMG_3443.jpg

Not sure how much it'll get used in deploy position anyway... as the whole point was to add it to the jerry can side of the swingout. the legs slide down into those channels on the sides of the jerry can holder, and some thumb screws go into those weld nuts to hold it in place- gravity and friction already does that, but just in case I get crazy I don't want to lose my table out on the road...

IMG_3444.jpg

Good spot for some carrots and hummus when out on the trail, great height for standing or sitting on the tailgate. And when closed, it doesn't really stick up into the window, or stick out any further than the tire.

IMG_3445.jpg

I made something similar for the 100, and used it a lot- great platform to boil water in the morning, great surface for signing waivers, to snacks at break time, making lunch, then happy hour. Set up time is 0, as it's always there, but if I remember to keep some wipes with me it's better if you clean it off first... and of course this will be central when the awning is deployed.