Moab

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Kipper said:
Is that a for sale sign in the window? Nathaniel, did you get your truck fixed and rolling smoothly? I kept my spare around all week, and felt bad when Dan called me as I was rolling over Vail pass Saturday afternoon saying that you needed one. :eek:

...time for that rear disk brake conversion

Yes, a for sale sign is in the window. Long story.

It wasn't me!! Friends of my sister (and future bro-n-law), tried to go UP wipeout-hill with a 60 almost identical to mine. EXACTLY the same break in the long side axle. Problem was, he couldn't be moved w/o the axle walking out too far b/c of where he was. Had to do it all on the hill.

We looked all over town for someone with a spare, no luck. So I got suckered into letting my 60 be cannibalized for a spare axle just to get him off the trail. Pulled my axle out at camp @ 5pm. Put it back in (not able to drive cause was out of adjustment) at 4 am. Luckily, I wasn't in on helping out at the trail, just at camp. Deja Vu! Still lost a lot of sleep.

Got him back on the road, Slee got him a space on the trailer, and my 60 got trailered home as well.

So now my 60 is in the garage with front wheel drive only b/c I removed the driveshaft in order to spare problems with the out of adjustment 3rd member. The guy who used my axle is already lining up the readjustment of the 3rd member to get her back on the road.

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Groucho said:
EXACTLY the same break in the long side axle. Problem was, he couldn't be moved w/o the axle walking out too far b/c of where he was. Had to do it all on the hill.

We looked all over town for someone with a spare, no luck. So I got suckered into letting my 60 be cannibalized for a spare axle just to get him off the trail. Pulled my axle out at camp @ 5pm. Put it back in (not able to drive cause was out of adjustment) at 4 am. Luckily, I wasn't in on helping out at the trail, just at camp. Deja Vu! Still lost a lot of sleep.

Got him back on the road, Slee got him a space on the trailer, and my 60 got trailered home as well.

So now my 60 is in the garage with front wheel drive only b/c I removed the driveshaft in order to spare problems with the out of adjustment 3rd member. The guy who used my axle is already lining up the readjustment of the 3rd member to get her back on the road.
Darn! I had spare 40 axles at my camp, but only the short side would have fit a 60, the long side would have been...too short. :-(

Convert

Hard Core 4+
Groucho
Hope the jack stands helped :confused: Would have helped more, thought things were under control.
Dan

bigbluefj

Honorary Canuck Member
Thank You

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :canada: :risingsun

Well after a 20 hour drive to Canada i got home at 4am on tuesday i don't know how to start thanking everyone who helped me, i was overwhelmed by everything that happen, i broke down when we got back to camp on sunday evening i was in tear's as i could not conprehend what happen to me this week i made sure before leaving for cm 06 that the rig would be in top shape for the event i don't know what to say but thank you to every on that helped me if i leave any one out i'm sorry to start there's IGE when we broke the pinion she jumped right in and just started tearing thing's apart and when we got in to camp she pointed me in the right direction in takeing my diff apart as i have never done any thing like that before thank you IGE. BEN and BILL i was told by various people that i've had the two best people in camp helping me tear apart and reinstall the ring an pinion and set it up to be perfect by hand thank you guy's, JEFF donated his knuckel kit to the cause that he won on friday night, BEN from slee i believe he had the knuckel that we used to get the truck off the trail, KEVIN where to start he save my ass twice in one week first he had the ring and pinion that we needed and then when we broke on the trail on golden spike/gold bar rim trail's he did everything in his power to get me home on sat night with the trail fix's that we tried but we had to leave the truck at butt scratcher and to return to it in the morning only to find we could not make it out with what we had in our posesion so he modifed the steering arm to work with the knuckel we had after various trip's out to the trail head we got the truck moible and back to camp i owe every one so big if i have taken parts or order parts or any thing from any one please bear with me and i'll get thing's sorted out hear and get every one repaid or replaced when i can thank you all again as one man once said I'LL BE BACK i have the part's list in my head already ...

kevin

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Convert said:
Groucho
Hope the jack stands helped :confused: Would have helped more, thought things were under control.
Dan

No worries. They were very needed. We got a lot of help from folks trying to get both myself (to avoid using my axle) and dustin, the other 60 guy, an axle to get him going. Nakman got us started on info for Kipper and others to get parts, Ige and Daniel scoured both campsites, Chris H and Bob helped by checking folks as they got to camp, Paul May (wasatch cruisers)did some looking, Cheeseman got us in contact with a couple possibilities, almost had an axle from Joe C as well as Proffitts. Everybody did a little bit, so we didn't have to do so much. So to all--THANKS! :thumb: :beer: :robbie: :beer2: :risingsun

Kipper

Hard Core 4+
I think next year, I'll volunteer to be the guy that sits in camp with all the spares everday and waits for someone to radio in for parts, welder, air tools, etc, and deliver whatever is needed, where ever it is needed.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Kipper said:
I think next year, I'll volunteer to be the guy that sits in camp with all the spares everday and waits for someone to radio in for parts, welder, air tools, etc, and deliver whatever is needed, where ever it is needed.
That could be kinda fun except it probably would be wise to stay sober during that time. :rolleyes: :bowdown: :flamingo: :confused: :kipper:

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Chris Hatfield and I were talking about this. Maybe we would have one RS member per day assigned to be the main contact for any accidents, breakage, etc. We could even have a place to store spare parts (long side 60 axles anyone?)

Kipper

Hard Core 4+
Uncle Ben said:
stay sober during that time

that would make it a very difficult job, but the offer still stands. I could even have spare steamed milk and suger for 80 owners. :homer: :weld:

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Hulk said:
Chris Hatfield and I were talking about this. Maybe we would have one RS member per day assigned to be the main contact for any accidents, breakage, etc. We could even have a place to store spare parts (long side 60 axles anyone?)

That's what I'm talking about! I plan on donating several parts to CM for the future. If we all did it we would have a great supply and an easy way for folks to find stuff. Also, someone (Nakman?) had a brainstorn or inventorying what parts other folks brought with them. That would REALLY help!

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Kipper said:
that would make it a very difficult job, but the offer still stands. I could even have spare steamed milk and suger for 80 owners. :homer: :weld:
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :bowdown:
chef.gif

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Also, someone (Nakman?) had a brainstorn or inventorying what parts other folks brought with them. That would REALLY help!
Right, the idea was everyone would "turn in" their spare spares to the trailer, to be inventoried (maybe in exchange for a free gift or something?) but then trail leaders would get an inventory of what parts were available, so they'd be able to decide to send someone back, or limp something out, or leave it, etc. A benefit for loaning your spares is if someone uses it they buy you a new one, perhaps. Needs to be ironed out a little, but the idea could work well I think... :birf:

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
nakman said:
Right, the idea was everyone would "turn in" their spare spares to the trailer, to be inventoried (maybe in exchange for a free gift or something?) but then trail leaders would get an inventory of what parts were available, so they'd be able to decide to send someone back, or limp something out, or leave it, etc. A benefit for loaning your spares is if someone uses it they buy you a new one, perhaps. Needs to be ironed out a little, but the idea could work well I think... :birf:
I remember we had talked about it prior to the event, and I was intending to drop off the axles that Kevin brought me (thanks Kevin!). When I found out that no one else was leaving their spares in the trailer, I just left them in my camp.

Spares I normally carry in my rig:

Birf
Coil
Fuel filter
Fuel pump
Distributor
Lock Right

New addition this year:

Tie rod ends

3rd member, axles and driveshafts are kinda big to carry on the trail, I figure they're more like "send somebody back to camp" type items.

IanB

Kipper said:

This year I stayed in camp with a large supply of spare cold :beer:, just in case. I got your back. :lmao:

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Rzeppa said:
3rd member, axles and driveshafts are kinda big to carry on the trail, I figure they're more like "send somebody back to camp" type items.

I don't know, what with all the axles that have been breaking lately, might not be a bad idea to carry them with, I guess the only downside is you really need to have all four shafts to be covered! :eek: . Maybe you could get by with just the rears and hope the birfs break before the front inners do? :confused:

Let's see, two 60 series rears (long side right?) have broken recently, and Farr broke which side last year? Was that long side too?

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
subzali said:
I don't know, what with all the axles that have been breaking lately, might not be a bad idea to carry them with, I guess the only downside is you really need to have all four shafts to be covered! :eek: . Maybe you could get by with just the rears and hope the birfs break before the front inners do? :confused:

Let's see, two 60 series rears (long side right?) have broken recently, and Farr broke which side last year? Was that long side too?
long sides are more apt to break with the torque.

wesintl

RS Moderator
This year I carried every inner axle part except for the long side and I had that sitting at camp.

No knuckle or 4.88's though :(

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
nuclearlemon said:
long sides are more apt to break with the torque.

Correct. There is also a growing trend lately it seems. The long sides constant torque loading and unloading is showing it's stress on these 200k + mile axles! :eek: