• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

Middle St. Vrain w/COTTORA and FJ Cruiser Trail Team Sun. 8/17

Sorry to nag and ask a lot of Questions. Just one bad experience here and this is what happens. Just need all the info i can get. Thanks.

FJBen

don't worry. It's not that hard at all. There are only 2 obstacles like was said. Heart attack hill which isn't that bad. With a-trac or a rear locker piece of cake.

The chutes is completely bypassable. I bypass it...it's only like a 40~60' section of tight rocks that attacks bigger bodied rigs. To me, not worth it. In a 40 or mini/jeep samurai piece-o-cake. You can get the bigger rigs through with work and careful driving...but I'll pass.

you have nothing to worry about on this trail. I honestly think moody/crystal is the same. I have zero body damage on an 80 on this trail.

no need to fret at all.

My old 55 in the chutes.

piginthchutes.jpg

subzali

Hard Core 4+
The TTT took Chris through the Rubicon with almost no damage, I'm sure they can get you through Kelly Flats no problem! :thumb:

I don't believe it's that hard (and we had a discussion of what "that hard" means in the Holy Cross thread, so take it with a grain of salt) of a trail; I've never been on it but I imagine my FJ40 on 31s with a rear locker would be more than adequate, I'm just not going to be able to make it for other reasons.

Have fun guys/gals!

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
I enjoy wheeling and I am scared of Heart Attack Hill. To this day I have never tried it...

FJBen

I enjoy wheeling and I am scared of Heart Attack Hill. To this day I have never tried it...

really? wow...maybe growing up in Walden has removed to many braincells :lmao: I don't think it's that bad at all. Even the hardest lines.

here's a few pics from a few years ago. Pablocruise is in a few...

There is an "easy" route the whole left side. The middle and just to the right of the tree are dug out more. The right is a medium line.

Attachments

• MVC-535F.JPG
    MVC-535F.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 191
  • MVC-536F.JPG
    MVC-536F.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 196
  • MVC-537F.JPG
    MVC-537F.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 196
  • MVC-539F.JPG
    MVC-539F.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 201
  • Picture 028.jpg
    Picture 028.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 197

Tch2fly

Rising Sun Member
This is a great example of how different people "rate" a trail.

I like the trail because of the proximity to my cabin. It has gotten progressively rougher over the last couple years. I don't like the type of trail it has become.
There are very few sections of exposed rock that require spotting or "crawling" (the major exception is The Chutes) and I enjoy slow crawling types of trail (less throttle - more brain).
There are several steep, loose, rocky climbs, one long section is called Heartattack Hill (traction control of some sort is needed), the others are sections of the bypass (should not need locker). I don't really enjoy "scrambling" up a loose rutted slopes but it isn't necessarily "difficult". (more throttle - less brains is why the trail looks like it does) Once you get to the top of Heartattack hill (either method) the trail is very sedate unless you attempt the chutes.

Thanks everyone. I know it is totally judgmental about what it hard and how to rate a trail. The rating is just a starting point and can and will always change. I know it is totally a opinion base sport that is why i like getting all the feedback. Since i don't know the trails yet i can make a call base on what i see and you guys tell me. Some of you know about my July 4th run of hell. Not fun but i did trust the Trail leader and got stuck in a 1 mile car wash of trees and had to come back threw it because the trail was closed half way up the mountain. At least i got the same strip on both sides. This is after i asked him questions about the run and he said i will be OK. This is why i ask more questions than normal. When i had my Jeep it did not matter as much and i knew the area. There is a ride and driving style for every trail. Everyone i have met with the RS club has been great and up front. Not like the last group. Looks like a fun run and i want to make it. have to see what my Sunday entails. thanks again for all the feedback.

Kenny

Looks like i am in. will you be posting the details?

Caribou Sandstorm

Hard Core 4+
Hi Kenny,

Head over to the Blue room at http://www.Fjcruiserforums.com

Then scroll down to the regional forums area, you will see Colorado, click on that and then you will see Kelly Flats, lots of discussion and Athena has some helpful links, etc.

Have a great run and I will see you soon.

Glad to see you make it.. as long as you have faith in the spotter you should be fine. We too, own an FJC and Bill wouldn't spot you up anything he didn't feel you could make.

Thanks. I am not sure if my spotter is coming so i am in trust of others. haha I am pretty good at picking my lines but having an outside eye is always good. Especially since i am still learning where everything is on the FJC. Look forward to meeting everyone.

Thanks Chris, to bad you cant make it. Next time for sure.

Kenny

Just so all of you know..there's been some big debate about Kelly Flats and the driving time .... I thought I would consider coming over here to see if there are any other suggestions. I was possibly thinking of Red Elephant to Empire Loop.. please let me know what you guys think of this run...

Athena

subzali

Hard Core 4+
That would be a possibility since we had our 40s Only Run there just a couple weeks ago, but it was 40s Only. If it's closer for most people (the guys up north aren't really responding at the moment), then I'd say go for it.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Just so all of you know..there's been some big debate about Kelly Flats and the driving time .... I thought I would consider coming over here to see if there are any other suggestions. I was possibly thinking of Red Elephant to Empire Loop.. please let me know what you guys think of this run...

Athena

Red Elephant is awfully narrow. Be prepared to scrape along a lot of trees in your shiny new rigs. It's also a pretty easy trail, and with the trail team there, why not do something more challenging? ;)

Why cant we all get along..... :bowdown: there has to be something we all can do and still have fun. don't ask me because i don't know the trails that well. My knowledge of the area consists of a book guide. Hopefully everyone will agree on something.

Caribou Sandstorm

Hard Core 4+
I still think it is worth while to contact COTTORa and see if they would be willing to let you join their run on MSV.

That way the TTT guys would be able to get a 3 group exposure RS/Colorado FJs/COTTORA in one day and it just may spark an annual event.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Chris, do you want to take care of that? I don't know what MSV is (Middle St. Vrain?) and I don't know the best way to contact them. I'll forward Jon to this thread so he can watch the progress, I will be out of touch all day Saturday so hopefully this gets nailed down before the weekend...