Middle St. Vrain w/COTTORA and FJ Cruiser Trail Team Sun. 8/17

subzali

Hard Core 4+
It sounded to me like the Trail Team would only be available Saturday. I'm loving that you guys are wanting to step up and you're getting people psyched about it! Chris, if you want to talk to Colin and see what his thoughts are, just make sure that he knows that I'm also talking with Jon Robichaud of Action Marketing Group, just so we don't get wrapped around the axle. I will try to see if Sunday will be okay for Jon if you want to do the same with Colin, that way we can get a good answer.

I think Kelly Flats is a good idea with you guys leading it! :thumb:

Caribou Sandstorm

Hard Core 4+
Sunday is a no go for me.

Sat is the only day I can do something.

I saw your post in the Blue room, the only thing is Subzalli was mentioning cutting the TTT guys loose and having them join another club's event if we could not get enough RS guys for an event. This was a previous coordination betwen Subzalli and the TTT guys.

So I think it is slightly premature for us to post up in the blue room. I was waiting to get Subzalli's input before posting anything official. Kind of his call.

It sounded to me like the Trail Team would only be available Saturday. I'm loving that you guys are wanting to step up and you're getting people psyched about it! Chris, if you want to talk to Colin and see what his thoughts are, just make sure that he knows that I'm also talking with Jon Robichaud of Action Marketing Group, just so we don't get wrapped around the axle. I will try to see if Sunday will be okay for Jon if you want to do the same with Colin, that way we can get a good answer.

I think Kelly Flats is a good idea with you guys leading it! :thumb:

As soon as we know what day I'll post it up in the official trail post thread on the blue room. Let me know if Sunday works as soon as you can...

Bill and I haven't been to Kelly Flats yet..but we'd be up for leading it. Shouldn't be a problem.

We're quite alright without the trails team...and if the trails team isn't going then it doesn't matter if it is Saturday or Sunday.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
So does that mean you're okay with a Saturday run? If it's Saturday the TTT will go for sure, but if it's Sunday I'm not sure they can swing it...

Sunday is a no go for me.

Sat is the only day I can do something.

I saw your post in the Blue room, the only thing is Subzalli was mentioning cutting the TTT guys loose and having them join another club's event if we could not get enough RS guys for an event. This was a previous coordination betwen Subzalli and the TTT guys.

So I think it is slightly premature for us to post up in the blue room. I was waiting to get Subzalli's input before posting anything official. Kind of his call.

Well there should be a pretty big number of potential Rising Sun members.

as for premature.. we were already planning to do this trail on Sunday anyways...so I'm having the thread changed now. Let people know that it's possible the trails team may join.

Caribou Sandstorm

Hard Core 4+
Thanks Matt, sorry for jumping in on this, kind of your turf.

I will call Colin in a bit and see what they can do.

I am out for Sunday, yes had planned on Sat when I spoke to Colin yesterday.

I thnk the RS folks in here also planned on Sat. But if Sunday is preferred by the RS folks, then I will let Colin know.

So does that mean you're okay with a Saturday run? If it's Saturday the TTT will go for sure, but if it's Sunday I'm not sure they can swing it...

I'm just looking out for the people who havent' had the opportunity to go with the Trails Team. I can only go Sunday... A few of us CO fjr's had this trail already set for Sunday.. it really doesn't matter if the trails team goes or not.. I'd like to plan a pot luck kind of lunch also... that'd be nice.

I'd really like to get these two organizations together... that's my main goal!

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Not at all Chris, I welcome your input and since you already have contacts with the TTT that helps a ton! Besides, you're more excited about the FJ Cruisers than me anyway, and that's what we need to make these kinds of events happen!

Athenaceleste, with the Sat./Sun. thing, I still haven't heard whether Sunday is available for the TTT. Since you already have other people planning on Sunday then I'm trying to stay with that, I just wanted to be clear on it because if the TTT can't make Sunday work for them then I guess the next best thing is the ORS BBQ. Their schedule is a little more rigid than most of ours (at times), so I would naturally default to that. And I would think that if people haven't run with them before and they would like to then they might as well. We'll wait to either hear back from Jon or Colin and see what their thoughts are.

Thanks Matt, sorry for jumping in on this, kind of your turf.

I will call Colin in a bit and see what they can do.

I am out for Sunday, yes had planned on Sat when I spoke to Colin yesterday.

I thnk the RS folks in here also planned on Sat. But if Sunday is preferred by the RS folks, then I will let Colin know.

Sweet...let me know. No pressure. I changed the thread title in the blue room.. and I'll notify as soon as it's confirmed. I've been trying to get the CO fjr's to be a part of other organizations and I feel this would be a great opportunity.

I had a wonderful time with Ricardo and Jeff on Sunday... you guys rock!

Caribou Sandstorm

Hard Core 4+
Sounds good, I think our goals are the same. I just wanted to check with Matt first before announcing a run.

If Sunday works best for most that will be great, too.

I will catch up with the TTT guys another time.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Jon is good for Sunday. So we will probably have them show up at ORS for the BBQ Saturday and then run Kelly Flats with y'all on Sunday. Cool?

Sweet, thank you so much guys for setting this up! :thumb:

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
So....Kelly Flats on Sunday?

How many trucks?

Chris sorry to see you cant make it. I will have to see if i can now since it is moved to sunday. I really want to meet the TTT guys but will see. Odd question i have is on the bypasses is there any tight areas that i will get the sides scratched up? thanks.

Kenny

Tch2fly

Rising Sun Member
No worries Kenny, I just looked it up on Traildamage.com, click on trails and then you will see it.

Looks like the 2 features have bypasses. So you can look and see if you want to try it or go around. Also says stock vehicle can do it.

Hope you can make it!

Not trying to scare anybody but I think the Traildamage report is older and may not be representative of current conditions (I have a cabin nearby and ran it 2 weeks ago)

I won't say a stock vehicle can't make it (an FJC is very capable) but it is getting rougher and rougher each year. The trail consists of loose rocky climbs (very much like the beginning of Chinamans) with very easy sections of smooth dirt/gravel roads.

Yes, the two main obstacles have bypasses but the Heartattack Hill bypass is getting really torn up and is almost as bad as the hill.

The Chutes is aptly named as a short but tight section of rocks and I would plan on bypassing it unless you want body damage.

Edit: There are only a few sections where the brush is close to the trail ... shouldn't be a huge concern.

:( Wish I could make it but I'm taking friends to the Dunes :D
Enjoy:thumb:

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
In for now. I just have to get the truck to start. No big deal.
Starter fluid and a lighter.

It will either start, or reseat all four beads at once. You could sell tickets.

So an honest opinion

Not sure if i am still in. I know Matt said in the begining an easier run not to discount the hard core guys:

What I'm thinking - An easier trail like Switzerland, Coney Flats, Yankee Hill or Kingston Peak where we can get some easier/short/scenic wheeling in but you could make a lunch/training stop to do some recovery/spotting technique type stuff too! I will need someone who's interested to be somewhat of a leader for this, as I will not be available that weekend, but please post up if you're interested, if you want to be a trail leader for the day, and any ideas you have for the event!

Not to sound like a winer and i hate them also i just don't want to tear it up or make the ride miserable for everyone else who is set up and want a challenge and have to wait for a stocker like me to get off a big rock. So an honest opinion here would be great. How tough is it? 33s a minimum with lockers? 31s with driving skill and lockers? on a 5 scale what number? don't want to get there and make it a long day for me and everyone else wishing i had my Jeep done with 35s and plenty of travel. Chris it may be white but still have to bring it home and answer the what happend question. Really want to meet the TTT gang but not at the expense of a new ride. Thanks.