• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

Middle St. Vrain w/COTTORA and FJ Cruiser Trail Team Sun. 8/17

subzali

Hard Core 4+
EDIT: Sunday, August 17
Middle St. Vrain/Coney Flats
Meet at 9 AM at the Camp Dick trailhead

see this thread for more detailed information

Also see this web site to sign up (not necessary)

Yo!

Just got a call from the Trail Teams and this next weekend, the 16th, they are FREE and they were hoping to do something with RISING SUN!

No plan yet, I told them the Triple Bypass had been canceled, so he was thinking maybe we could do a local run of some sort. I threw out the thought of whether they would be interested in doing a spotting/recovery/safety event, maybe in conjunction with a trail run, and he said that would be a great idea.

SO - if YOU could tell the TOYOTA FJ CRUISER TRAIL TEAM what to do, how, when and where to do it, what would you tell them? He's hoping to have a go/no go by Monday the 11th, so if there's any interest please post up and let's try to get something nailed down!

Again, it's a chance to possibly test drive an FJ Cruiser, get information/training/schwag from a very capable group of off-road drivers, and maybe enhance our image as enthusiasts in the eyes of Toyota so that they will bring back solid front axles!...

Okay that last one was made up, but still!

What I'm thinking - An easier trail like Switzerland, Coney Flats, Yankee Hill or Kingston Peak where we can get some easier/short/scenic wheeling in but you could make a lunch/training stop to do some recovery/spotting technique type stuff too! I will need someone who's interested to be somewhat of a leader for this, as I will not be available that weekend, but please post up if you're interested, if you want to be a trail leader for the day, and any ideas you have for the event!

Last edited:
Trail Team Event

Matt,

Just seen your post and I be interested depending on trail. If it is light and no pinstriping i am most likely in. Just need to check the schedule. I am kind of new to the area and not sure of the best trails to suggest so i dont think i would make a good trail leader but have done it in the past for Jeep events. The other thing is i am not a RS member. I have done Swizterland but don't know the others you mentioned. I did look at Moody Hill but it was not open yet when i was there. Not sure how tuff that one is. It is listed as moderate. I will let you know if i am a definate or not.

Kenny

Trail Team Event

Hello,

I have been following the triple bypass thread closely hoping something would be suggested as an alternate to run with the trail team since the passes are still covered with snow. I'm looking to do some trails with some folks and with the trail team. I'd like to suggest Coney Flats and Middle St. Vrain as a possibility. Whatever you all decide I look forward at the possibility of hooking up with you and possibly joining your club. :thumb::thumb:

Lee

Last edited:

Caribou Sandstorm

Hard Core 4+
Hey Matt,

Sounds good, I am guessing Ron and crew are headed back from Kentucky through Colorado and onto LA..

They were just with us in Ouray for the Ouray summit. Knowing the Triple is off, what about doing Devil's punch bowl On Saturday with lunch and camping in Crested Butte/Lake Irwin and then Pearl Pass into Aspen from Crested Butte on Sunday?

We could meet in Glennwood at 10:00am on Saturday, make it to CB for lunch/set up camp and then back over to Aspen for lunch and out via Glennwood Springs? Home by 5:pm on Sunday?

I am guessing this would give great footage of mountain views and the Toyota marketing folks would like the Glenwood/CB/Aspen footage, as well.

If you like I could also probably get a few cruiser heads to tag along..

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Iron Chest.

The FJC's will have an opportunity to demonstrate self recovery. :thumb:

Caribou Sandstorm

Hard Core 4+
Colin called me today from the Trail Teams and they are looking forward to a Rising Sun Club Run this weekend. It could be a Friday over nighter or just a Saturday run (our choice). Either way they are open, probably no need to make a definitive decision today on what trail, if we still want to noodle on it for a day.

They are driving back from Kentucky, in Oklahoma today.

They will be in Denver all week.

The following weekend they are doing an expedition from Wyoming to Grand Lake. That is posted in the Blue room under trail runs..

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Off Road Solutions is having a rally this weekend, that's another possibility. There's been a couple ideas thrown out, and a couple maybes on attendees (BTW nobody needs to be a Rising Sun member to join on a trail run with us, in fact a trail run/event is a prerequisite to joining the club!), but is anybody willing to choose what's going to be done and lead it?

Chris, the reason the Triple Bypass was called is just because Schofield (Devil's Punchbowl) and Pearl Pass had too much snow. Crystal/Moody is fun, but who is willing to drive that far on this short notice? Same with Iron Chest, considering Iron Chest is a much more difficult trail. Coney Flats/Middle St. Vrain is good too, I just don't want there to be a disappointing turnout if we set up a trip for them, and right now I only see two or three hands raised. I'm not trying to be pessimistic, I'm just saying that ORS already has an event going on where the Trail Team can market their vehicles if they want (and that's a big part of it IMO), whereas not a whole lot of people are jumping at the bit from our club right now.

I can call ORS and see if they would be interested in the Trail Teams joining them for the day at the BBQ.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
I'd be willing to go on a run with everybody this weekend, but I don't feel like i am in a position to suggest routes, or lead at this point.

Nay

Hard Core 4+
Wasn't the trail team coming out in Sept to do a Chinaman's reunion run of sorts? Does this replace that slot?

subzali

Hard Core 4+
They aren't available in Sept. for the Chinaman's Run. That's why we're hoping to catch them now.

Is anyone up for Kelly Flats on Sunday.. if anybody is interested..I can start throwing the plans together..meeting time, place, & etc.

Chris Sand Storm... are you interested?

Nay

Hard Core 4+
They aren't available in Sept. for the Chinaman's Run. That's why we're hoping to catch them now.

Short notice for a "major" run to get to OCG, but that was a great event last time RS did it with the Trail Team. Just a thought, not sure if I'd be able to make it, and gas prices are a crimp for a lot of folks for a trip of that distance, but figured I'd bring it back up :beer:

Caribou Sandstorm

Hard Core 4+
Ok So we have 3 or 4 RS folks giving a thumbs up and a few more..Plus there are a few on the blue room that are also interested and I am trying to get them interested to joining RS. So this would be kind of a cool thing.

I am guessing we will get about 10+ folks in all, which would be plenty.

Matt, if you are ok with it maybe I can speak to Colin (or you can call your contact) and ask him if they want to do a half rising sun/colorado Fjs run on Kelly Flats for Saturday or they can hook up with the ORS folks.

We can give them a choice.

Bill or I can lead the Kelly Flats run and I can coordinate. between here and the Blue room.

The run needs to be Saturday for me, can not do Sunday. Bill/Athena is that a deal breaker for you?

Your call Matt.

Im for saturday

So far i am in unless something major stops me. My only question is what is Kelly Flats like? Where is it? I am stock and i am not into tearing it up or getting it bent or stratched up. not yet at least. :D what is the recomended equipment for this trail? I am still learning the area so the geography is a bit strange for me yet. I dont know anywhere else to suggest. I know of a few places near Estes i wanted to explore but not sure if it is a trail system or not and if it is open. Thanks.

Caribou Sandstorm

Hard Core 4+
No worries Kenny, I just looked it up on Traildamage.com, click on trails and then you will see it.

Looks like the 2 features have bypasses. So you can look and see if you want to try it or go around. Also says stock vehicle can do it.

Hope you can make it!

Ok So we have 3 or 4 RS folks giving a thumbs up and a few more..Plus there are a few on the blue room that are also interested and I am trying to get them interested to joining RS. So this would be kind of a cool thing.

I am guessing we will get about 10+ folks in all, which would be plenty.

Matt, if you are ok with it maybe I can speak to Colin (or you can call your contact) and ask him if they want to do a half rising sun/colorado Fjs run on Kelly Flats for Saturday or they can hook up with the ORS folks.

We can give them a choice.

Bill or I can lead the Kelly Flats run and I can coordinate. between here and the Blue room.

The run needs to be Saturday for me, can not do Sunday. Bill/Athena is that a deal breaker for you?

Your call Matt.

I've got all taken care of in the Blue Room..but I've had a few pm's asking for Sunday. These people haven't had the opportunity to "roll" with the Trails Team yet..so if we could keep them in mind that's great..otherwise here's the link for the thread in the blue room.. and the rsvp is on there as well..

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/colorado/67117-trails-team-run-8-16-8-17-a.html
Yes it would have to be on Sunday...and I'd like to make some other accommodating plans for the lunch and what not..

Last edited: