Staff member
IMG_0398.jpeg

IMG_0399.jpeg

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
cccd4a28-c6b9-4e8b-ba86-06d25872d703-jpeg.118148

I contemplated doing this back when I was still living in semi-rural Missouri. I think guys usually leaned out of moving cars with baseball bats to smash mailboxes -- I figured a concrete-lined mailbox would cause injury for sure.

My Mom had our mailbox custom painted with cows. When it got smashed, it broke her heart. People can be such assholes.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru

I contemplated doing this back when I was still living in semi-rural Missouri. I think guys usually leaned out of moving cars with baseball bats to smash mailboxes -- I figured a concrete-lined mailbox would cause injury for sure.

My Mom had our mailbox custom painted with cows. When it got smashed, it broke her heart. People can be such assholes.
While unlikely in Missouri the phenomenon of losing mail boxes can be due to snow plows. I've notice that some are built in a way that seems meant to deflect as much as simply reinforce.

Cement filled, it would be slightly satisfying to see a dent like this and a broken bat a few yards down range. The person had the broken wrist coming. But then again someone drifting over and hitting it who's otherwise innocent and having it go through a windshield. Yeah, I dunno.

Last edited:

subzali

Hard Core 4+

BritKLR

Rising Sun Member

When I was in High School our house was on a street that was a short cut between the school and the burger joint that everyone hungout at. At least once or twice a year our mailbox either got hit or run over, which I always had to fix....always pissed my dad off.
Fast forward 7-8 years and I get a pissed off call from my dad that someone had hit his truck and fled the seen. I hop into my Patrol car and run over to the house. Sure enough the top of his tailgate and a portion of the bed rail is bent and damaged...looking at the scene what had happened is he had installed a 5 inch solid steel post, into concrete, 4 feet down and mounted his mailbox on it. We'll someone came around the corner, drifting and lost control. They went through the neighbors yard, trenching it and then hit the mailbox post which bent slightly causing the vehicle to launch up into the air clipping the top of the tail gate and bed rails and then landing hard leaving a debris and broken oil pan oil trail down the street! I followed the oil trail through the neighborhood until it went dry and never found the car!
.......I made my dad take that damn thing out before someone got hurt!

KC Masterpiece

Hard Core 4+
In this day and age im pretty sure the mailbox bandits would just lawyer up and sue the homeowner. In most states they probably would win with the right judge even though they were destorying property.

I managed a property where we always had kids jumping a fence to use hot tubs afer hours. They wanted to put up barbed wire or some equivalent deterent. We were told by counsel even with signage the HOA could be held libel for injuries to trespassers.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
In this day and age im pretty sure the mailbox bandits would just lawyer up and sue the homeowner. In most states they probably would win with the right judge even though they were destorying property.

I managed a property where we always had kids jumping a fence to use hot tubs afer hours. They wanted to put up barbed wire or some equivalent deterent. We were told by counsel even with signage the HOA could be held libel for injuries to trespassers.
I wonder about a barbed wire fence. A tall fence, topped with pointy stuff where you put up a warning sign. "Your honor, the barbed wire is to prevent pigeons from sitting on top and fouling our pool." That's just legitimate enough cover story it might work.

Last edited: