Live from Cruise Moab

bigbluefj

Honorary Canuck Member
it should get to the cabin's i was around cabin 5 last year but it was weak signal..

leiniesred

Hard Core 4+
Moab rim: There are 2 ways up onto the rim. They don't officially attach on top and...I'll never drive the "minesweeper" trail again. 2 reasons. I think a boulder has finished off the trail for trucks and it is just too much exposure for me.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Moab rim: There are 2 ways up onto the rim. They don't officially attach on top and...I'll never drive the "minesweeper" trail again. 2 reasons. I think a boulder has finished off the trail for trucks and it is just too much exposure for me.

icon_worthless.gif

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Is there just one Internet access point near the office? How far does it reach. I.e. I'm in a camp site near the back fence.

Doesn't reach very far. I'm in cabin 6 and no joy. I'm sitting up near the office to type this now.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Sounds like the crew ran the north half of Fins 'N Things today. Tomorrow we'll probably go do Porcupine Rim. If we have time, I want to go find Chicken Corners (I'm leading it on Thursday).

Weather is warm and beautiful. I'm sitting outside as I type this, past midnight, no jacket needed.

Cheeseman, Ken and Sarah Romer, and I ate at Buck's tonight, just by the entrance to Slickrock. This is my 8th Cruise Moab, and it was the first time I had eaten there. It's gourmet food! Unbelievable. I may eat there again this week. Perhaps the best meal I have eaten in Moab. :)

We hung out with the guys from Tennessee for a while. Woody and Clutchee made it in too. Drank a beer in the luxury Davidson accommodations -- very upscale.

My cabin is dingy and smells like dirt. I opened the windows and it smells less. Or maybe I am getting used to it already.

I'll post some pictures tomorrow.

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
To echo what others have said:
icon_worthless.gif

Beater

Hard Core 4+
ok - I guess I will help you wireless weenies out. Here are some steps to make a reflector to help your laptops wireless signal.

go to the store there on main street, and pick up a small strainer, mixing bowl, or other bowl with as round a bottom as possible. If you can get copper mixing bowl, or stainless steel one, that's even better. Ideally it should be twice as deep as it's diameter. The bowl should also be at least around 4-6" in diameter. If not metallic, grab some aluminum foil and cover the inside of the bowl with as few of wrinkles as possible. working in strips is a good way to accomplish this.

Then, take your bowl and you laptop, and go to a wireless source. go online, and try and locate through google where your INTERNAL wireless antenna is located in the machine. Usually it will be by the hinge or on the sides, but often on one of the corners by a hinge.

Once you locate that, fire up your signal strength utility and position the reflector to where gives you the most signal strength. Once you learn that positioning, the position of the reflector will not change respective to the laptop. You will have to change the orientation of the laptop to find the best linear signal, but the bowl position should remain un-changed.

merry x-mas. you have now built a parabolic range extender.

j

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
ok - I guess I will help you wireless weenies out. Here are some steps to make a reflector to help your laptops wireless signal.

go to the store there on main street, and pick up a small strainer, mixing bowl, or other bowl with as round a bottom as possible. If you can get copper mixing bowl, or stainless steel one, that's even better. Ideally it should be twice as deep as it's diameter. The bowl should also be at least around 4-6" in diameter. If not metallic, grab some aluminum foil and cover the inside of the bowl with as few of wrinkles as possible. working in strips is a good way to accomplish this.

Then, take your bowl and you laptop, and go to a wireless source. go online, and try and locate through google where your INTERNAL wireless antenna is located in the machine. Usually it will be by the hinge or on the sides, but often on one of the corners by a hinge.

Once you locate that, fire up your signal strength utility and position the reflector to where gives you the most signal strength. Once you learn that positioning, the position of the reflector will not change respective to the laptop. You will have to change the orientation of the laptop to find the best linear signal, but the bowl position should remain un-changed.

j

I think everyone should wear a reflector! :thumb::thumb: :lmao:

14922d1203442021-obama-illegals-share-same-message-n522306244_197290_3718.jpg

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
ok - Here are some steps to make a reflector to help your laptops wireless signal.

go to the store there on main street, and pick up a small strainer, mixing bowl, or other bowl with as round a bottom as possible. ...

j
This sucks. It doesn't work. And I can't see the keyboard with it on. And Carrie just laughs at me. Sheesh.

But I don't hear those voices in my head anymore. Hmmm.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Well I am up near the office doing laundry and brought my wife's camera and figured I would upload some pix.

Except I forgot the USB cable.

Yeah yeah yeah, yuck it up. I'm lucky I remembered the laundry.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Well this seems to be the year of the Chili's revenge. Had some new clunks on Fins and I was scared to death it was another broken leaf. But nope... drag link ends (one of the few Cruiser parts on the rig... hmmm...).

Considering the run of loose drag link ends I've been finding in tech the last few years, the joke's on me. :eek: :rolleyes:

Fortunately Nakman is as compulsive as I am, and the used FJ80 TREs he gave me for trail spares are still tight and serviceable.

Don't go there Romer.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
If we have time, I want to go find Chicken Corners (I'm leading it on Thursday).

I wouldn't bother - its super easy to find. Just be sure to hike past the end of the road to the true "chicken corner", making sure to keep kids, dogs and anyone scared of heights away. Its a long way down. The reward on the far side is a view over both sides of the goose neck. For more thrill take the short detour to the start of the Lockhart basin trail - a moderately challenging canyon.

My cabin is dingy and smells like dirt. I opened the windows and it smells less. Or maybe I am getting used to it already.

Air that sucker out! Or buy some of those mirror tree things.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Allright here are a few. Don't want to start you with too much

Mike on Kenny's climb

Randy and Sarah on other obstacles at Fins

Attachments

• Fins 045.jpg
    Fins 045.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 1,124
  • Fins 031.jpg
    Fins 031.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 1,102
  • Fins 006.jpg
    Fins 006.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 1,108

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member

Ok... So which way is the proper way? I'm gunning for Crase on Friday on it.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Hulk - my opinion on Chicken Corners, just baha out there (it's quite a ways of basically a dirt road), over Hurrah Pass, say hi to the Camel Farm, then swing in, get a layout of the parking area, walk to the actual Chicken Corner, and come on back. Also try to research about the movie with the two gals running from the cops who drove their car off a cliff at the end - that scene was filmed somewhere around there and would make for interesting discussion for the participants.

Thanks Romer for the relief! More pics please!

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Hulk - my opinion on Chicken Corners, just baha out there (it's quite a ways of basically a dirt road), over Hurrah Pass, say hi to the Camel Farm, then swing in, get a layout of the parking area, walk to the actual Chicken Corner, and come on back. Also try to research about the movie with the two gals running from the cops who drove their car off a cliff at the end - that scene was filmed somewhere around there and would make for interesting discussion for the participants.

Thanks Romer for the relief! More pics please!

That would be Thelma and Louise. Also, the gas station in Cisco is also famous from that movie!

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Also try to research about the movie with the two gals running from the cops who drove their car off a cliff at the end - that scene was filmed somewhere around there and would make for interesting discussion for the participants.

Its across the river. "Thelma and Louise Point" is an overlook below the Dead Horse State Park overlook (visible across the river from Chicken Corners) and is on the road that takes you up the Schaefer Switchbacks.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
hijack 1: "And if you look closely, you can still see remnants of Themla & Louise's car..."

hijack 2: You guys remember that Simpson's where Homer drove off the same cliff?

hijack 3: I was up on Porcupine Rim once, and made the joke "hey this is where they filmed the Coyote and Road Runner cartoons.." and some girl on a mountain bike said "No way, really?" and she was serious. true story.

[/hijack]

Ok back to the CM pics! don't make me come out there.... :rant:

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
This just doesn't sound practical. As in how do you attached the bowl to the laptop hinge\lid and continue to type and stuff.

j

subzali

Hard Core 4+
you don't have to. you just set the laptop as the focal point of the bowl and it should strengthen the signal. At least I think that's what John is saying.