Live from CM11

sleeoffroad

Hard Core 4+
It's my understanding he had several experienced people who looked at it who said they thought it was safe to run. Maybe they were just chipped versus totally broken off.

Not wanting to start an argument, but if the teeth was even chipped something caused it to happen. Lost preload on the pinion or carrier? Deflection? Cap bolts bent? Any number of reasons, but it does not just happen on it's own. That means the diff was compromised. Yes, stick it in to get off the trail or get out, but to leave it like that before the event and then be signed up for hardcore trails does not make sense.

We go to great lengths to do tech inspections to make sure you do not end up with trucks that break on the trail and leave people stranded and cause inconvenience for other people. OK if you want to run like that on your own time and your own trails, but not when you are signed up for trails and leading them.

Sorry Tom, you might have gone by others advice, but I still think it was a bad call.

DanS

Rising Sun Member
Here's a few from Elephant Hill on Saturday....

eh5.jpg

eh3.jpg

eh 1.jpg

eh4.jpg

eh2.jpg

More after dinner...

Dan

Not so live..... :hill:

<shameless vanity>
Did you by chance get any shots of a dark gray tacoma on that hill?
</shameless vanity>

84cruzer

Trail Ready
<shameless vanity>
Did you by chance get any shots of a dark gray tacoma on that hill?
</shameless vanity>

Afraid not but have seen the dark grey Tacoma and the silver 4runner of TX4runner's in some of my videos. Working on getting some more of those posted to you tube. I will post up links ASAP :hill:

Here is another one of my vids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZE5ACcTMSk

Enjoy! :hill:

Caribou Sandstorm

Hard Core 4+
Any more pics on the flopped 40?

How did you guys recover it?

Gary, your spotting on Hell's was incredible! I saw the video, never saw that line at the top, really smooth!

Brady, what trails didn't you do? Pretty nice run of trails this year, jealous...

Myself and my family had a blast once again at CM2011! Thanks so much to all the Rising Sun guys that make it happen!!

My own little CM2011 report:

Prepping for the Swell Overnighter:
IMG_0260.jpg

Pie Iron Cooking in the Swell:
IMG_0261.jpg

Swell, day 1:
IMG_0273.jpg

Lone Warrior Campsite in the Swell:
IMG_0296.jpg

Dinner in the Swell:
IMG_0294.jpg

IMG_0293.jpg

Evening in the Swell:
IMG_0308.jpg

Friday, Metal Masher:
IMG_0379.jpg

IMG_0380.jpg

IMG_0386.jpg

Saturday, Seven-Mile Rim:
IMG_0468.jpg

Seven-Mile Rim trouble:
IMG_0485.jpg

wesintl

RS Moderator
It's called "coming in HOT!"

Any more pics on the flopped 40?

How did you guys recover it?

Gary, your spotting on Hell's was incredible! I saw the video, never saw that line at the top, really smooth!

Brady, what trails didn't you do? Pretty nice run of trails this year, jealous...

If you click on the link under the pics I posted earlier there is as close to frame by frame of the roll as I could get. At the end of the album are some pics of the damage he sustained.

Recovery was fairly easy. He was at enough of a side angle that we just pushed it back over. After a once over on the damage and some pushing and pulling on the front clip he gave the starter a couple bumps to make sure it wasn't hydrolocked then fired it right up. Not one single puff of smoke. He then drove it up the bypass and to the top of the hill where he changed out the right rear tire (wheel bent?) and gave it a through inspection. He finished the trail (as far as we went) and other than some minor rubbing of the fan on the shroud when the body flexed he had no problems.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
It's called "coming in HOT!"

Yes indeed! And that's precisely what happened. I was leader that day. The driver was great during and after recovery, the folks on the run were superb in executing a perfect recovery. (For example, just after this photo was taken we assigned one participant to watch and keep the area below the vehicle clear of all people in case it rolled) Discussions were had and will happen again with that driver to make sure that does not happen in the future.

Incidentally, after this recovery we used dead branches to erase all off-trail tire tracks and footprints and smoothed out the sand (no crypto, just sand) so that you could barely tell anything had occurred. Again, the driver and folks on the trail all worked as a team and it was great to watch. Better if it had never happened though! :cheers:

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
Not wanting to start an argument, but if the teeth was even chipped something caused it to happen. Lost preload on the pinion or carrier? Deflection? Cap bolts bent? Any number of reasons, but it does not just happen on it's own. That means the diff was compromised. Yes, stick it in to get off the trail or get out, but to leave it like that before the event and then be signed up for hardcore trails does not make sense.

We go to great lengths to do tech inspections to make sure you do not end up with trucks that break on the trail and leave people stranded and cause inconvenience for other people. OK if you want to run like that on your own time and your own trails, but not when you are signed up for trails and leading them.

Sorry Tom, you might have gone by others advice, but I still think it was a bad call.

No worries, for what it is worth it was before CM started. I was planning on putting the new diff in Wednesday night but as luck has it it broke that day. I was to replace it on Monday but then the Whiskey came out so Tuesday but then well.............:rolleyes:

The hub breaking was bad luck and or ??? I think the nuts came loose judging by the way they moved in the wheel hub.

DanS

Rising Sun Member
I He finished the trail (as far as we went) and other than some minor rubbing of the fan on the shroud when the body flexed he had no problems.

Jon also drove it home to Albuquerque without incident.

Looks like between HDC folks all of the body panels are accounted for, save the windshield frame. He needs and early style windshield frame, if anyone has one. Rumors of a '71 at the YodaYard, but that's as much as I know there.

I offered to go check it out or pick it up for Jon (since I drive down to ABQ regularly as it is), but no word on whether it's real, or what kind of shape its in.

Dan

Yes indeed! And that's precisely what happened. I was leader that day. The driver was great during and after recovery, the folks on the run were superb in executing a perfect recovery. (For example, just after this photo was taken we assigned one participant to watch and keep the area below the vehicle clear of all people in case it rolled) Discussions were had and will happen again with that driver to make sure that does not happen in the future.

Incidentally, after this recovery we used dead branches to erase all off-trail tire tracks and footprints and smoothed out the sand (no crypto, just sand) so that you could barely tell anything had occurred. Again, the driver and folks on the trail all worked as a team and it was great to watch. Better if it had never happened though! :cheers:

I kinda wish I'd gone to help with the recovery to learn something about recovery, but the dog and I did catch a nice nap in the truck while we were waiting on everyone. So, :cheers: indeed :p:

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee