Lithium battery setup for fridge?

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
Hypothetically, if you parked at Cruise Moab with a back door window cracked, how many days would your 75AH battery keep your fridge running? without charging it (solar, engine, or otherwise)
I’ve always been able to get 3-4 days running an engel 45 with the protection jacket/cover with any of my group 31 AGM batteries (100AH) over the years as long as I manage interior truck temps. Cracked windows or open truck if I’m nearby.

personally I can’t imagine a 3rd battery over adding solar.

Last edited:

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
personally I can’t imagine a 3rd battery over adding solar.
Yeah that's where I am also... if I didn't already have the 2nd battery I'd be a little more into it. The other reality is, I've never gone more than 2 days before needing to drive again. Maybe retirement will change that, but that's not gonna be this summer...

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
I‘ve survived 15 years with a single battery running a fridge. Never killed it anywhere other than my driveway where it sits parked for extended intervals. I’m going to add solar this summer and I’m wagering I will be able to remain parked indefinitely if I’m not thumping the stereo.

dan1554

RS Moderator
Staff member
I'm running my fridge on a dedicated 30ah lifepo4. It needs to be charged daily, but with panels and/or driving, it will last indefinitely. That said, 100ah is on my list, along with a DC-DC converter (currently running off alternator, which has insufficient voltage).

I used an adjustable thermostat with a contact closure to keep the isolator solenoid open below freezing.

gungriffin

Rising Sun Member
I came across this company the other day. As I understand it, they are one of the big importers of lithium batteries. Less than $600 shipped for a 230Ah battery with high and low temp protection and a built in optional heating pad port. The BMS allows for 200 amps so you could easily run a 2kw inverter. Seems like a pretty good deal. Weight would be about 40 lbs depending on the enclosure that you choose. These batteries are getting pretty amazing. At this price, the battery cells alone are about $158 per kWh of storage. It would be easy to build out a 30 kWh storage bank for a house for less than $6,000!

Also, you could easily run a Induction cooktop with a 2000w inverter. That is my plan for in my 100 series camper build out.

Camo80

Rising Sun Member
Food for thought. I have two completely separate my systems. No dual battery. I have a my Dometic CFX3 40 liter refrigerator. It consumes about 1 amp/hour and I keep it at 36 degrees. The battery will power the refrigerator right about 40 hours +- 5. I power the refrigerator with Dometic 40 AH lithium iron phosphate battery. It has worked great! I camp for and day or two in the same place and use SOLAR PANELS to recharge the Dometic battery. Yes it is compact, simple & expensive. It is rated for 2000 cycle and has a built-in controller allowing you to connect your solar panels directly to the Dometic battery. In the shade/partial sun, using the solar panels, I can charge the Dometic battery when it's down to 25% to 35% remaining to 85% to full charge in 4-8 hours. It is a very modular system and gives me flexibility to use the refrigerator anyplace! The power was out at the house for 2 days. The solar panels and battery saved the steaks and ice cream in the freezer.

Solar Panels
Both my brother and I use EcoFlow solar panels I use 110 watt and he uses 130 watt

EcoFlow Battery
Battery alternative to Dometic is the EcoFlow Power Station.

Solar Extension Cords
I also use a 20 foot solar "extension cord". This allows me to leave evening in place inside the LC to charge the battery.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07X1K5DVB?ref=ppx_pop_dt_b_product_details&th=1

Dometic Battery
https://www.backcountry.com/dometic-40-ah-portable-lithium-battery.

Connecters
To connect the solar panels to the domestic battery, I used Powerwerx to make an Anderson connecter to a MC4 solar cable. cost $15 ish