• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Jimmy's Electric Adventures

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee

Heckraiser

That would be super cool if they made a steering axle as well.

J1000

Rising Sun Member
@J1000
Have you seen this?

I haven't but that is awesome. Definitely something I would love to play with if I had the budget. That is theoretically the ultimate EV 4x4 axle and could reduce a lot of the efficiency loss in the drivetrain, provide lower cg, and probably lighter in the end. Definitely need's a steering version like Heckraiser says.

J1000

Rising Sun Member
I never really posted an update after Moab. It's been over a month already. I guess I'll provide a rundown of how the EV80 performed.

I showed up to CM with my wife, Jasmin, and the 80 in tow behind my 100 and we set up camp. I did the night run and Gold Bar Rim in my 100. I only planned on doing one run in my EV80 but in hindsight I should have done more. On Friday I did Wipe Out Hill which was the Gamiviti sponsored run so of course the Gamiviti EV80 had to run it. It was the perfect maiden voyage for the truck with a good mix of challenging obstacles and also easy going trail and sandy roads. The truck really performed awesome, I was really impressed.

The Good:
-Suspension, brakes, steering were all excellent. I was not wanting for more steering power which was a pleasant surprise.
-The truck climbed everything, no shortage of torque in Lo-Lo. It can start from a stop on steep incline with no problem at all.
-Nothing broke!
-Nothing got hot. Blackbox doubler got warm but could still hold a hand on it. Motor and inverter were practically ambient.

The Bad:
-Offroad range was less than anticipated, only about 30 miles. Might be different on a hard packed CO trail vs. UT sand.
-CDL was not engaging. My last minute jerry rigged wiring didn't work. As a result I had a lot of wheelspin on the front axle but was still able to climb up most obstacles on the first try. Front weight bias probably helped.
-Battery mounts (old 1FZ motor mounts) cracked and came apart. I think this is the only damage.
The Chademo fast-charger plug didn't fit through my grill :( First time I tried to test it was in Moab.

I ended up driving around the town of Moab in the EV80 at least once per day and probably put 70-80 miles on it. On Monday I did Baby Lions Back a couple times because I've never done it. Honestly, it was a good test and gave me confidence in the ability to start from a stop on a very steep incline with high stakes. It is a really good match to Moab and I was able to charge at public charge stations and go walk to lunch or the car show or whatever and the whole week in Moab I spend less than $5 on charging at the hotel! All other charging was free. If my truck had more striking range it would be such a perfect fit for Moab or other 4x4 towns like it. I definitely think this concept has tons of potential. I can't wait to expand this truck's capabilities. I've already got some big things planned.

Here are some more photos of the EV80 including some really great shots at Wipe Out Hill by @bh4rnnr

Q4l5Rdz.jpg

DxlNCMr.jpg

JpxUepb.jpg

fOOOLhD.jpg

1UzE7CW.jpg

80Bt8dD.jpg

Ez9rebd.jpg

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
awesome! Curious how the solar panel did on the trail relative to charge and distance or was that in the 30 mile range. Wondering if all you had was the panel, how long to full charge.

gungriffin

Rising Sun Member
Doesn't the 80 have about 25 kwh of batteries in it? That seems like a reasonable mi per kw given that you were wheeling.

With the 400w of solar on the roof it is cool to think that you get about 2 free miles per day just from solar.

J1000

Rising Sun Member
awesome! Curious how the solar panel did on the trail relative to charge and distance or was that in the 30 mile range. Wondering if all you had was the panel, how long to full charge.
I have an EcoFlow Delta Pro solar battery in the back of the truck which is charged by the solar. Then I can plug my EVSE into that and charge up. The solar battery is 3.6kwh so I can get about 10% charge for the main battery off it over the course of a couple hours. It definitely works but it's just an experiment. With 400watts of solar it would probably take 2-3 weeks to charge fully. I also bought an EcoFlow portable AC which I can run off the EcoFlow Delta Pro and have AC in my truck with no range penalty. So for accessories like that it might be pretty useful.

EcoFlow Delta Pro: https://amzn.to/3QimeLR

EcoFlow Wave AC: https://www.ecoflow.com/wave-portable-air-conditioner

J1000

Rising Sun Member
Doesn't the 80 have about 25 kwh of batteries in it? That seems like a reasonable mi per kw given that you were wheeling.

With the 400w of solar on the roof it is cool to think that you get about 2 free miles per day just from solar.
My battery is actually 30kwh. I wish I could have the solar passively charge the main battery automatically but currently it's not possible but something I'm interested in figuring out eventually. For a few weeks I would charge off the solar only and I was able to run some errands and stuff but it's not sustainable in the least.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member

J1000

Rising Sun Member
Reminder of the EV car show this Saturday the 13th!

At Red Rocks Amphitheater 10am to 4pm

I will be showing off my EV80 and 1982 UM Electrek but there will also be some other EV conversions from some of the biggest names in the business right now. Should be epic!

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Hey Jimmy I checked that website and it says that registration is full... also that registration costs money. Is that different from just looking at the Expo? I didn't realize you guys were speaking on Friday also, that would be cool to see.

MonPetiteShoe

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Registration for the Friday conference is closed/full.
The expo on Saturday that Jimmy mentioned is open to the public and is free.

Attachments

• C620FF32-F103-43E0-BA8A-8B6DDCFC64E2.jpeg
    C620FF32-F103-43E0-BA8A-8B6DDCFC64E2.jpeg
    374.1 KB · Views: 79

J1000

Rising Sun Member
Hey Jimmy I checked that website and it says that registration is full... also that registration costs money. Is that different from just looking at the Expo? I didn't realize you guys were speaking on Friday also, that would be cool to see.
Yeah Friday is a tech discussion session with a bunch of EV conversion guys each presenting but yes it's full.

Saturday is free and open to the public! Sorry for the confusion!