• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

hunting rifle- preferred brand/caliber

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
I inherited the Lee challenger press. It's an inexpensive press but i've reloaded quite a few rounds through it. 7mm-08, 270 and 30-06. I have the quick change bushings which is nice. They are all set for depth. A simple single stage press like this has been fine for reloading rifle rounds. I don't do .223/556 or hand gun rounds. If so i'd want a turret or progressive. I weigh the powder on each round and rarely use the powder measurers (dumpers). The hand tools to pop out the primer and press in a new primer are handier than using the press for everything.
I’ve got the same Lee press and a RCBS rock chucker. Do rifle rounds and .41/.45 with them. Have the dies for .223/5.56 but never have bothered with that yet. Things would need to get pretty desperate.

BritKLR

Rising Sun Member
I haven't hunted since moving to Colorado. Spent over 30 years white tail hunting every year in Missouri. Good times, great memories. Was given this unfired, circa 1972, Winchester 94, 30-30 with a plan of using it but, just can't bring myself to use it.....Kinda wish gun prices were still this reasonable!

Anyone have much luck with a 30-30 out here?
ECED9904-A942-4035-9A8C-E2A7F24655E7.jpeg
BC88A87A-A20D-4C1C-ACC3-3C245C9FF0F6.jpeg
D5A41B6F-6B80-4B1F-82B3-73F1223C5A0A.jpeg

Last edited:

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
..Kinda wish gun prices were still this reasonable!
i bought my first handgun in the late 80s. colt detective special. was just over $100 nib.

SteveH

Hard Core 4+
If you practice, an iron-sighted 30-30 is likely good to 150 yards. Not an unusable gun, but not ideal for longer elk shots. Being a 1972 vintage, that gun isn't super collectible, so if you want to go shoot it, do so. You could also peddle it (or throw it back in the closet) and get a scoped bolt-action rifle that would be a lot better suited for hunting.

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member

BritKLR

Rising Sun Member
My son will head out into the woods next season for his first elk hunt carting my uncles old Marlin 30-30. My goal will be to get him within 50 yards. I’m sure it’s probably good to 200 but little man’s first hunt is not the place to push the limits.

I’m sure we will he using the new-ish Hornady FTX bullets for elk.

Well done dad! Best of luck for your boy and memories for you......I remember my sons (he's 26 now and too cool to hunt with the old man now) first BB gun/grey squirrel slayer hunt.......one of those damn things bit me as I put it in the gunny sack prior to frying him up.
8CCBF6F0-1C41-40A4-A434-CF40612EF64F.jpeg

wesintl

RS Moderator
I've got an old winchester 94 30-30 it was my dads first deer rifle. Same vintage too. One of these days i want to take it out and get an elk with it. just like for whitetail it's a solid brush gun for elk too.

riderjgs

Lifted
I've probably bagged more big game with my Dad's old late 1930s-era .300 Savage than with my Winchester Featherweight 30.06. I'm not one for long shots...though my brother measured 318 yards for my first elk on his ranch...with the open sight Savage. (Even a blind hog etc....) I usually take them both and chose which one to carry depending on the day's hunting plans. Headed out for third season elk next week.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Ok.. not a hunting rifle per se but I just picked up this sweet little .22. Henry AR-7 take down survival rifle. Everything stores in the stock and is less than 16.5” packed up. Perfect little plinker for storing in my vehicle. https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/u-s-survival-ar-7/ It is pretty dang accurate! I was really surprised.

How are you liking the AR-7?

Anyone else have experience with one?

Seems like a handy tool to toss in a truck.

Brucker

Hard Core 4+

I like mine, but never use it. For a backpack/truck option I now lean toward the Ruger PC Charger takedown with a folding brace. Sure it is chambered in a more expensive 9mm, but it accepts either Ruger or Glock mags. And it breaks down/reassembles quickly and efficiently. It is amazingly accurate with a cheap red dot out to about 100 yards without much compensating. I would highly recommend it as a fantastic option, especially if you have a Glock or Ruger EDC. And pair it with your favorite suppressor and you still have a short, powerful, and accurate setup.

attachment.php

attachment.php

FireMike

Rising Sun Member
I haven't hunted since moving to Colorado. Spent over 30 years white tail hunting every year in Missouri. Good times, great memories. Was given this unfired, circa 1972, Winchester 94, 30-30 with a plan of using it but, just can't bring myself to use it.....Kinda wish gun prices were still this reasonable!

Anyone have much luck with a 30-30 out here?View attachment 89903View attachment 89904View attachment 89905
Oh Nice 94! That's an old one, "The Gun That Won The West" Do you want to sell it? I'm interested. Message me or text 516-729-7500 Thanks

FireMike

Rising Sun Member
Hi all. I'm in the market for a deer/elk rifle. Bolt action... debating between 30 06, 308 and 500 win mag. Think I've narrowed it down to a Savage 110 hunter in 30 06 w/ synthetic stock but interested in hearing from any rifle/hunting guys on their preferred setup. Also- what scope would you recommend? Going for middle of the road here... it won't make it out more than a couple times a year but I don't want a cheapo either.
As expected there's many different options given here, Are you set on buying new? If not check Armslist or pawn shops, I've found most of my guns at these type places also gunshows are good. I've had great luck getting a high quality Firearm, even setup with scope, sling, extras for what a new gun alone would cost. As far as Elk/Deer gun, I like 308, 30-06, 7mm mag, a common caliber with good knockdown power and bullet options. Good luck and shoot it lots before ya hunt to get dialed in to how it performs.

BritKLR

Rising Sun Member
Oh Nice 94! That's an old one, "The Gun That Won The West" Do you want to sell it? I'm interested. Message me or text 516-729-7500 Thanks
Thanks but, I'll hang onto it and hang it my shop for those unwanted critters. Cheers.

FireMike

Rising Sun Member
OK, but my offer is to buy you the same gun and ammo. Thanks

KC Masterpiece

Hard Core 4+

I have one. Usually bring it along when we are out if we decide to plink a bit.

It can be pretty touchy about ammo choice.

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member

I'd probably look at a Ruger 10/22 takedown over the Henry. Just my .02 https://ruger.com/products/1022Takedown/specSheets/31152.html

But other than for plinking or thinking you're only going to rely on rodents in an emergency to eat I don't see the point of a .22 as a survival gun out west. I'd want something bigger. Or a shotgun. Or better, both.

Something like this would be my pick for survival. I'd deal with the fact it's not a takedown. https://www.gunsamerica.com/902187067/SAVAGE-24F-COMBINATION-GUN-30-30-12-GAUGE.htm

One actually for sale but looks a little high to me. https://www.gunbroker.com/item/901914220

Last edited:

FireMike

Rising Sun Member
I'd probably look at a Ruger 10/22 takedown over the Henry. Just my .02 https://ruger.com/products/1022Takedown/specSheets/31152.html

But other than for plinking or thinking you're only going to rely on rodents in an emergency to eat I don't see the point of a .22 as a survival gun out west. I'd want something bigger. Or a shotgun. Or better, both.

Something like this would be my pick for survival. I'd deal with the fact it's not a takedown. https://www.gunsamerica.com/902187067/SAVAGE-24F-COMBINATION-GUN-30-30-12-GAUGE.htm

One actually for sale but looks a little high to me. https://www.gunbroker.com/item/901914220
I have this gun in 410. shot / 22 LR. Great for a single shot but small and limited.

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
I’ll jump on the zombie post …. Always been interested in hunting deer/elk but never done it. I’d love to fill up a chest freezer one of these years. I bought a Howa 1500 (as mentioned above: Japanese steel!) in 30-06 during lockdown last year and haven’t even fired it yet. Mostly just plink with my 10/22 on rare occasions.

I see the Pawnee range or the range in Erie are spots where I can target out past 100yd. Any other advice on where to shoot or how to hunt? @stusic and I were actually just talking about all this over the weekend.

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
I have this gun in 410. shot / 22 LR. Great for a single shot but small and limited.

Yah the 410/.22 combo is a great starter gun for a kid but not really useful for hunting as an adult. Bridger actually hunted with one last year and was super disappointed with the grouse he tagged flew away. I just got him a new Browning Silver Field 20 gauge for bird hunting on Monday.

Savage made those model 24’s in so many different combos over the years. .223 and large pistol rounds were paired with 12 or 20g as well.