hunting rifle- preferred brand/caliber

Jameson

Rising Sun Member
Hi all. I'm in the market for a deer/elk rifle. Bolt action... debating between 30 06, 308 and 500 win mag. Think I've narrowed it down to a Savage 110 hunter in 30 06 w/ synthetic stock but interested in hearing from any rifle/hunting guys on their preferred setup. Also- what scope would you recommend? Going for middle of the road here... it won't make it out more than a couple times a year but I don't want a cheapo either.

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee
for bolt rifles that don't break the bank, I have always been a fan of the Remington 700.

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee
and as far as glass, i am a huge fan of the scopes from Vortex. They are great quality, best warranty in the game, and easy on the wallet.

Basaltfj40

Trail Ready
Remington 700 all the way, 3006 and go w a wood stock, the synthetic stocks make a lot of non-natural noise when they get brush by branch’s and plants etc. I second the vortex scopes! But you can find some killer deals right now on Nikons. The monarchs aren’t bad

Basaltfj40

Trail Ready
Also make sure it has a floor plate to empty the mag well, other wise you have to cycle the bolt to unload/empty the rounds out

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
.30-06 if you will only own one large game rifle. Tons of available loads and ammo is easy to find.

Vortex is a great choice. I’m a fan of Leupold personally.

For a field rifle I prefer a synthetic stock and a stainless barrel. The savage 110 is a great inexpensive platform. You could also check out the Browning AB3, Weatherby Vanguard or a Tika.

Go and handle the rifles at a shop. Determine what safety location you like. A 3 position safety will allow you to cycle the action with the trigger locked. A nice feature to have especially if the rifle has no removable floor plate or magazine.

Then just keep in mind that for $300 more you could jump up to an entry level Browning X-bolt, Kimber Hunter or similar.

Last edited:

Jenny Cruiser

Hard Core 4+
You'll like that Savage. Burris is a CO company in Greeley and were the #2 scope maker behind Leupold when I worked for them a long time ago. They have a lifetime warranty on their scopes regardless of who owns it. I think that's still the case anyway. Leupold, Nikon, Vortex are also good options to find deals on. We've got everything from Simmons to Swarovskis. All do their job. Really, 99% of shooters would be happy with any $250 - $400 weather proof scope. I focus on the reticle and then the specs of the scope personally. I've got an old 4x Weaver on my old Colt .243 from the late sixties that I took a button buck with a head shot at 448 yards when I was 14. I doubt that scope is worth more than $50. * .308 is what I'd go with.

Last edited:

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
.30-06 if you will only own one large game rifle. Tons of available loads and ammo is easy to find.

Vortex is a great choice. I’m a fan of Leupold personally.

For a field rifle I prefer a synthetic stock and a stainless barrel. The savage 110 is a great inexpensive platform. You could also check out the Browning AB3, Weatherby Vanguard or a Tika.

Go and handle the rifles at a shop. Determine what safety location you like. A 3 position safety will allow you to cycle the action with the trigger locked. A nice feature to have especially if the rifle has no removable floor plate or magazine.

Then just keep in mind that for $300 more you could jump up to an entry level Browning X-bolt, Kimber Hunter or similar.
Where do you find ammo for the 3006? I have looked around and can only find steel cased mil surplus.

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
Where do you find ammo for the 3006? I have looked around and can only find steel cased mil surplus.

I have not shopped recently during covid as I have plenty currently. But generally I buy at Sportsman’s warehouse or any of our local shops here in durango. Walmart normally has a couple of cheap options. I can’t speak for today’s market right now.

Or load your own... This is .270 just didn’t have 06 pic handy.

35F641FA-8CA4-4157-885A-1274E574C984.jpeg

wesintl

RS Moderator
I'm not a fan of Savages. Hard to beat a 30.06, 270, or 7mag for colorado. I just picked up a Tikka superlight from sportsman for my son in 7mm-08. It's so fun to shoot. Its a great rifle for the money. The remingtons are solid and so are the new winchester model 70's. IMHO that's what i'd buy for a wood stock.

Can't beat vortex for scopes these days but now leupolds and other have low end chinese manufacturing scopes for reasonable $. IMHO get a 30mm and larger the better.

wesintl

RS Moderator
I haven't been to sportsman in the last couple weeks but both sportsman and cabelas should have stock.

Woodsman

Trail Ready

This is not a good/easy time to find ammo of any type. My local farm and ranch chain (Rural King/RK guns) is out of almost everything desirable and Sportsman's guide and Freedom Munitions are the same. COVID had already boosted demand dramatically and now the riots have made demand go through the roof.

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
I have not shopped recently during covid as I have plenty currently. But generally I buy at Sportsman’s warehouse or any of our local shops here in durango. Walmart normally has a couple of cheap options. I can’t speak for today’s market right now.

Or load your own... This is .270 just didn’t have 06 pic handy.

View attachment 86792
I will be taking possession of my grandfathers 06 on Sunday. It comes with two boxes of ammo and 80 rounds of brass. I need to invest in a reloading kit but this is all new to me. Reloading research in my future. All suggestions appreciated.

Graniteone

Wincher
Ok.. not a hunting rifle per se but I just picked up this sweet little .22. Henry AR-7 take down survival rifle. Everything stores in the stock and is less than 16.5” packed up. Perfect little plinker for storing in my vehicle. https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/u-s-survival-ar-7/ It is pretty dang accurate! I was really surprised.

Attachments

• D23437DA-9CB9-4AE0-8FBD-EC4CA31DBE96.jpeg
    D23437DA-9CB9-4AE0-8FBD-EC4CA31DBE96.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 143

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
I will be taking possession of my grandfathers 06 on Sunday. It comes with two boxes of ammo and 80 rounds of brass. I need to invest in a reloading kit but this is all new to me. Reloading research in my future. All suggestions appreciated.

https://www.rcbs.com/kits/rock-chucker-supreme-master-reloading-kit/16-9354.html

I like the Lee dies better personally. Mainly for the crimp die. This set gives you two options on resizing. I only have it for .270 but definitely going to get them for other calipers moving forward.

https://leeprecision.com/30-06-ultimate-die-set.html

3rdGen4R

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I bought a Ruger American Rifle last year and am running a nice vortex scope that is not really needed. I have the .308. We can go shoot it sometime if you want.

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
"Investing" in reloading is something of a misnomer. You won't save any money but you may get to shoot more rounds. Reloadiing is a lot of work to do right and requires a lot of continued focus. YMMV.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
This thread reminds me I need to take my new shot gun to the range. Bought it right before the pandemic, Benelli M2

Jameson

Rising Sun Member
Alright all... thanks all for the recommendations. I purchased a Remington 700 American Wilderness Rifle in 30-06. It has a Cerakote coating on a stainless steel barrel and a synthetic Grayboe stock. I purchased a 4-20X40 Vortex Diamondback scope.