hunting rifle- preferred brand/caliber

J1000

Rising Sun Member
Anyone have experience with 6.5 Creedmore? From what I hear it's the new hotness and have been thinking about getting something in that caliber.

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
"Investing" in reloading is something of a misnomer. You won't save any money but you may get to shoot more rounds. Reloadiing is a lot of work to do right and requires a lot of continued focus. YMMV.

Correct. I’m still a novice. I inherited a lot of my reloading equipment. If that were not the case I’d just buy factory ammo based on how little I really get to the range. The average hunter probably shoots a box a year through his/her hunting rifle. A lot cheaper to practice good habits with a rimfire.

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
Anyone have experience with 6.5 Creedmore? From what I hear it's the new hotness and have been thinking about getting something in that caliber.

I know @wesintl was looking at that but opted 7mm-08 for his boy.

I struggle with that small of a bullet living in the west. But if it was not your only rifle I’m sure it’s now where near as abusive to shoot.

Jenny Cruiser

Hard Core 4+
Alright all... thanks all for the recommendations. I purchased a Remington 700 American Wilderness Rifle in 30-06. It has a Cerakote coating on a stainless steel barrel and a synthetic Grayboe stock. I purchased a 4-20X40 Vortex Diamondback scope.
That will do it.

wesintl

RS Moderator
Nice. Sportsman has plenty selection of 06

Attachments

• 38C92B45-4752-4A3A-B675-C37B19665B13.jpeg
    38C92B45-4752-4A3A-B675-C37B19665B13.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 148

Woodsman

Trail Ready

I just bought a Ruger Precision in 6.5 Creedmoor. I had planned to purchase the 308 version but at this time 308 is hard to find whereas 6.5 is readily available. They are pretty similar in performance. I was also looking at Tikka and Howa rifles that are similar to the Ruger but I know several people that have the Ruger in 308 as well as 6.5 and they are all happy with them.

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
I’ve been feenin for a 6.5 creedmore for a few years now. I’ve been out of the loop now for about 3 years but for a while there, all the long range guys were switching out their 308’s for 6.5

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
6.5 is good. I have two.

mosdefjeff

Trail Ready
I own a 6.5 and. 7mm rem mag, both in Weatherby Vanguard for deer and elk respectively. The Vanguard barreled actions are manufactured by Howa for Weatherby (Japanese steel 👍👍).

I chose Weatherby because they’re an American company primarily. But secondly, the Vanguard is an excellent platform for mountain hunting. Lightweight, accurate, reliable, quality.

I also use Vortex optics exclusively. American company that guarantees everything they sell for life. Ive used this warranty program a few times and its amazing turn around for repairs (1 week generally). The 6.5 is topped with a Crossfire in 4-16x50. Thats overkill for deer, generally, but I find it to be a Very usable option for a 200 yd. zero. The 7RM has a Viper in the same size (much better glass).

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Any ideas where I could go put a few rounds through my rifle before my season starts? Figured this might be a good place to ask. Normally I’d do it next to the house in the NF but that’s a no no right now

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
FYI, I was told that Nikon is no longer making scopes and all scopes are deeply discounted till they sell out. Not sure how good they are as I have a great scope on my 30-06 and don't have plans to buy a new one. Just thought I would throw that out there in case someone is looking.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
FYI, I was told that Nikon is no longer making scopes and all scopes are deeply discounted till they sell out. Not sure how good they are as I have a great scope on my 30-06 and don't have plans to buy a new one. Just thought I would throw that out there in case someone is looking.
Bummer I have a Nikon and it seems great for the price

60wag

Rising Sun Member
We were camping near Salida last weekend which is also in a stage 2 fire ban. We heard lots of shooting. Maybe it was hunters but if it was, they weren't very good at it.

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
Any ideas where I could go put a few rounds through my rifle before my season starts? Figured this might be a good place to ask. Normally I’d do it next to the house in the NF but that’s a no no right now
The Erie range just north of me does "hunter sight in" this time of year. They charge $20 (as a fundraiser for the range), but you can go out to 200 yds and they will even provide the spotting scopes. It's really close to me, just East of Erie town center. Shoot me a text if you think you are interested.

The other place that I like and is worth the drive is Pawnee Range. They have metal targets out to 1000 yds. and you can shoot all day for cheap. A bit of a drive, but every time I go I feel like it was well worth it.

3rdGen4R

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
The Erie range just north of me does "hunter sight in" this time of year. They charge $20 (as a fundraiser for the range), but you can go out to 200 yds and they will even provide the spotting scopes. It's really close to me, just East of Erie town center. Shoot me a text if you think you are interested.

The other place that I like and is worth the drive is Pawnee Range. They have metal targets out to 1000 yds. and you can shoot all day for cheap. A bit of a drive, but every time I go I feel like it was well worth it.

Wow... wish I would have known this last year. I actually went all the way to Buena Vista because they have a free Rangel there with up to 300 yards

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
Wow... wish I would have known this last year. I actually went all the way to Buena Vista because they have a free Rangel there with up to 300 yards
The Pawnee range is pretty good. I was a member there for a long time, and ran many Shivworks.com classes there. The 1000 yeard known steel distance range is great. They also have 3 Gun and precision rifle field matches monthly.

wesintl

RS Moderator
I inherited the Lee challenger press. It's an inexpensive press but i've reloaded quite a few rounds through it. 7mm-08, 270 and 30-06. I have the quick change bushings which is nice. They are all set for depth. A simple single stage press like this has been fine for reloading rifle rounds. I don't do .223/556 or hand gun rounds. If so i'd want a turret or progressive. I weigh the powder on each round and rarely use the powder measurers (dumpers). The hand tools to pop out the primer and press in a new primer are handier than using the press for everything.