• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

got a 40 - now it begins

simps80

Rising Sun Member
Yea I don't have any, I remember buying some aisins at the rally and we found the short ones from the rally
I will keep watching for a set

simps80

Rising Sun Member
I made some more progress past weekend/few days
I finished ps knuckle.
same as ds..
new oem rotor
oem reman caliper
oem soft rubber line
new oem wheel studs in hub and new oem lugs
new bearings seals knuckle studs and nuts etc

ps4.jpg

ps3.jpg

ps2.jpg

ps1.jpg

Last edited:

simps80

Rising Sun Member
i then started reconnecting tie rod drag link and relay rod
not realizing even though i was careful to do one at a time counting and marking threads to match lengths blah blah when replacing ends..that the two left hand threaded ends..one on drag link one on relay rod..i put the wrong one in the relay rod...
problem there is the rotating stud is longer on the relay rod to make it through the PS tie rod end...
so...in the process of reversing those i ruined both boots..

so I got annoyed and worked on wiring up the fogs with coolerman's kick ass fog light harness..which..
the dude makes nice stuff.
included frame clips and things.
oem style bullets at fogs and oem connectors in a 3 piece harness...bad ass.

anyways..i had mounted these lights up before but they never worked..so i ran the harness as per coolermans ocd instructions..which taught me something new...
the c-channel on the inside bottom of the bib is how toyota ran that harness from the factory.
i then put the oem fog light switch in the empty hole in the dash where i suppose a plow switch was based on the label...
didn't take off the yellow sticker..mostly cause i am lazy but i also like it for some reason..:blah::blah::blah:

then played around in the dark with it and took some sweet poser picks which got me over ruining the 2 new relay rod end boots...

light5.jpg

light4.jpg

light3.jpg

light2.jpg

light1.jpg

checked some stuff off latest todo
http://risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showpost.php?p=282963&postcount=347

subzali

Hard Core 4+
So cool.

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
Heck yes! Love the OEM goodness! :)

So good - major 40 envy.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
totes jelly.

nice work amigo

simps80

Rising Sun Member
shade tree shizz...
but it worked...NO WAY was I getting the bearing out with a slide hammer. I was going to make a jig for this, then decided not to waste the time...
I have decided that semifloat sucks compared to full float rear

shady1.jpg

shady2.jpg

Last edited:

simps80

Rising Sun Member
more progress

I am almost done with rear.
first some part numbers for the heck of it.
the first are the two rubber plugs for the backing plate..i need to order one of each..couldnt find the numbers anywhere..but the plugs have numbers on them so will try those.

second is the wheel cylinders. i saved the oem ones and ordered rebuild kits...will rebuild them down the line..but in interim put these new aftermarket ones in to move this project along..

theres a round plug and a square plug..two of each per backing plate..4 of each for the axle..all but two were in good shape and present.

parts1.jpg

parts2.jpg

rear right rear
rear right front
rear left upper (they mean front)
rear left rear
centric gets the orientation correct in their nomenclature
beck arnley still uses old orientation (upper and lower) in their naming conventions
cylinders1.jpg

i put the disassembled oem ones in those boxes to keep them straight for later rebuild. i got the rebuild kits..should take the time now..but want to move on from axles for now

Last edited:

simps80

Rising Sun Member
so after I got the bearings out of the semifloat rear a few posts ago..i replaced with new koyos and seals.
these bearings get lubed by the gear oil but i packed them with wheel bearing grease so they wouldn't be dry at first run..then I froze them which made pounding them in the tube easier.

then I put the axles in.
then I inserted c clips and fussed with the spider gears, thrust washers, spacer, and through rod that holds that business together. that was the hardest part so far..cause i let the spider gears come out when i pulled the spacer out to pull the axles..3 hands would be nice..pretty sure it's likely easier than I made it,
only way I could get it to go was to put the bottom one in, rotate past center, so 180 off was reachable for top one, then rotate back toward center using my fingers to keep the thrust washers from sliding out ... getting the bottom one far enough past 6 o'clock (about 4 o'clock) to get the top one in about 10 o'clock, so when rotated back to center they were exactly lined up was the only way I could figure out how to do it ....

here's a pic of the business put together cause it took so long

diff1.jpg

then i cleaned up the cover in preparation for sealing it all back up..i couldn't figure out when i got the parts order from kurt and the gang at cruiser outfitters a few months ago why the heck i got a cork diff cover gasket..i kind of assumed the rear would be like the ff on my 80..lol..nope..first one of these c-clip having, bearing pressed in, semifloat pita axles...glad they had the foresight I didn't have!

the cover had a giant dent in it that i spent some time getting out so it could look nice..a little heat,bfh,repeat
wish i had a before of the dented cover..looked like ship

diff2.jpg

diff3.jpg

diff4.jpg

Last edited:

simps80

Rising Sun Member
then I put the brakes together..

before and some after

b41.jpg

after1.jpg

brakes1.jpg

Last edited:

simps80

Rising Sun Member
then finally..
the impetus for this series of projects was a busted wheel stud on the left rear that snowballed into a list of crap..including the likely unecessary replacement of all the wheel studs and lug nuts with oem...

when taking it apart i realized the screw that holds the drum to the axle was stripped and rolli g around in the drum.

so i ordered new of those..
then I realized the threads in the axle were toast too..
10x1.25, I retapped that hole..axles are hard metal..
all buttoned up..

hole2.jpg

you can see the old screw that got all beat to hell before..

hole1.jpg

the old school store manager at the local parts store did a nice job turning these original drums..ran out of money this month buying some other crap for this truck that I am pretty excited about.. so i got these original drums machined then i wire wheeled the piss out of them and painted them with 550 deg caliper paint
they measured way under max i.d..don't think they were turned in the past..

brakes3.jpg

Last edited:

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
sexy.....

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
I am glad I am not the only one who appreciates these kinds of updates and resto's. Looks great Mike. I have to do the same thing in the rear of mine but I think I am going to build another axle, disk brakes and add an ARB locker, then swap it all in at once.

simps80

Rising Sun Member
I am glad I am not the only one who appreciates these kinds of updates and resto's. Looks great Mike. I have to do the same thing in the rear of mine but I think I am going to build another axle, disk brakes and add an ARB locker, then swap it all in at once.

thanks Drew
an Kurt and Ige and Steve

that concludes this round of items from here:
http://risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showpost.php?p=282963&postcount=347
Todo:

10. Add oil pressure gauge
11. Add water temp gauge

16. Adjust steering gear play
except those 3...

Subzali was right. i had free play in the wheel from 10 to 2..after the rod ends its way better maybe like 1130 to 1230.. but i need to take the rest out in the gear..will save that for later..

the 2 aftermarket old school gauges..i keep wavering on..i would like to but don’t want to make changes really. the stock ones are working fine.

i finished last item saturday which was wiring in 3 new plugs at the rear where the trailer harnes was scotch locked in..
i fixed it here...
http://risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showpost.php?p=264455&postcount=299

but wasn't 100% happy with it cause the connectors were damaged .. so i got new plugs from coolerman with the right color wires and soldered them in, shrink wrapped, then retaped. now I am happy with it...

rear1.jpg

so its back together and i have been driving it again.
no need in my mind now to take it down again..all the big stuff has now been gone through so..time to enjoy it and let this this thread rest..:)

Last edited: