Ghost Town Run 2006

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
I have Friday off that week so I can camp Friday. I get off work at 5:30 so I'll try to get a couple hours of sleep before the drive up there.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Nathaniel,

There is a very good possibility that Richard and Carrie Nelson (and three kids) will be joining us on this run with their LX470 (lifted and armored). They are former Windy City members who recently moved to the area. We plan to share our campsite with them.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Okay, so CJ7 Matt will just be running Mosquito Pass and going to the Mining Museum with us, no camping. So just me at the Camp Hale campground Friday and Saturday nights!

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
ROD will not be joining us for this trip, but Rachel will be bringing a friend instead. Rachel and her friend are suppose to join their youth group camping Sunday and Monday night at windy point camp ground. Niether Camp Hale or Windy Point have shower facilities. Rachel has asked me to find someplace she can take a shower in between. Anyone know of a place in the frisco/Dillion/ Silverthorne area that we can stop and the girls can take a shower?

I understand there is not really anything too chalenging on this trip, does anybody think I will be ok in 2wd? I'm having real issues with my 4wd that I don't think I'm going to resolve by the trip. I don't want someone to have to drag me half the way :hill: But we still really want to go.

Nick F.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
All I know is that when I went up Mosquito last fall the weekend before it got snowed in there was one little whoopdeedoo section near the top that required low range more than anything, but you didn't really want to lose traction because it was right next to a LOOOONNNGGG dropoff, so 4 wheel drive for that section, at least more my comfort, was a must.

BTW Romer there is a hostel in Leadville where the girls can take a shower, I think it's on the north side of E. 9th street.

BTW final logistics on my end will include: myself and my friend Kelsey camping the whole weekend and going to the Mining Museum, with CJ7 Matt ONLY doing Mosquito Pass and the Mining Museum. If it's too late to add one more person to the group rate at the museum no worries, I got it covered :hill:

Last edited:

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
How Bad?

Nick F. said:
I understand there is not really anything too chalenging on this trip, does anybody think I will be ok in 2wd? I'm having real issues with my 4wd that I don't think I'm going to resolve by the trip. I don't want someone to have to drag me half the way :hill: But we still really want to go.

Nick F.

How bad is your trouble? Please don't bring a rig that you know is going to break down all day and burden the group by slowing the trip way down. This group would be more than happy to set up a time to help wrench on your rig in the garage, but we'd rather not plan to do it out on the trail at 12000'. If you need help once or twice there will always be someone who will be willing to give a strap(and even if someone breaks, we'll stay there 'till its fixed, don't get me wrong). Please come if you know its ok.

Yes, this trip probably could be done in 2wd, albeit it might challenge the driver. This will have to be your call.

The claim to fame of Mosquito pass is that its the highest continuous road in North America. I haven't done it personally, but I'm sure there are folks out there that have taken their VW beetle over it.

farnhamstj

Hard Core 4+
I don' t think 2wd is a great idea. As Subzali it's mostly a low gear issue for Mosquito pass. McCalasters gulch is steep(again low) Wearyman has a couple muddy sections that you will get stuck in this time of year. Change those u-joints and get that 4wd working. I'll give you a strap as needed though. I've got a spare 4spd t-case in Vail if needed.

sno bored

Trail Ready
Romer,
The Silverthorne rec center would be a good shower spot for the girls. It's right off of hwy 9 and I-70. I can give you directions at the ghost town run.

wesintl

RS Moderator
sno bored said:
Romer,
The Silverthorne rec center would be a good shower spot for the girls. It's right off of hwy 9 and I-70. I can give you directions at the ghost town run.

I've been there a bunch too. Nice facility. Definatly recommended.:thumb:

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
farnhamstj said:
I don' t think 2wd is a great idea. As Subzali it's mostly a low gear issue for Mosquito pass.
My folks were commenting to me at lunch that they probably have a picture from the 70's of them going over mosquito pass in their late 1960's VW Beetle.:yeahdude:

farnhamstj said:
McCalasters gulch is steep(again low) Wearyman has a couple muddy sections that you will get stuck in this time of year.
EEWWW! Slimey!

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
sno bored said:
Romer,

Not all that close to Camp Hale, though. The closest places to Camp Hale will be: Red Cliff, Minturn, Leadville and Vail. Maybe they can shower at Farnham's house?

Groucho, please cross me off the list.:bawl: Doesn't look like is going to happen for me. I appreciate all the offers for help with my transfer case. Looks like it's going to need rebuilt, and a new universal. That's just tops on the list. I've only had it for 3weeks and the list keeps getting longer. It seems to run fine in 2wd but I really don't trust it enough to get it that far from home.
What I would appreciate if a club member with maybe a little technical expertise could come take a ride with me some night this week and and make sure I'm going in the right direction with this. I would like a second opinion.

Regards,
Nick F.

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
Where are you at Nick? Are you close to Wheat Ridge?

I'm in conifer, but I work in lakewood. I could drive it into work one day if that would help. I'm usually done about 4:30

I know I am a little late to the party here, but if you guys will have a semi-newbie-wheeler in a stock 'Runner, this sounds like fun. (Groucho, I got your reply yesterday, thanks!)

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
sno bored said:
Romer,

This is perfect since the campground I will be dropping them off Sunday afternoon is outside of silverthorne

Nick F. said:
Groucho, please cross me off the list.:bawl: Doesn't look like is going to happen for me. I appreciate all the offers for help with my transfer case. Looks like it's going to need rebuilt, and a new universal. That's just tops on the list. I've only had it for 3weeks and the list keeps getting longer. It seems to run fine in 2wd but I really don't trust it enough to get it that far from home.
What I would appreciate if a club member with maybe a little technical expertise could come take a ride with me some night this week and and make sure I'm going in the right direction with this. I would like a second opinion.

Regards,
Nick F.

Just wanted to add I'm more than willing to take it to you, If someone will look at it. I just don't want to send good money after bad.

Nick F.