Ghost Town Run 2006

bh4rnnr

Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant
Tentative dates are for july 22 and 23rd 2006. Right now we are going to be going over Mosquito Pass(from 285) into Leadville. Stop at the mining museum in Leadville(lots of great history there), have lunch then head out. Head to the top of Hagerman Pass. From there we will head back down and make camp in Camp Hale. Sunday we will head over Ptarmigan Pass and McAllister Gulch to form a loop. Depending on snow melt, we may not be able to do Mosquito. If that is the case, we will go over Weston Pass to get to Leadville. If you missed last years run, be sure to mark it on the calendar for this year. :beer:

Last edited by a moderator:

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
So, is the trail condusive to Yodder's (Stracraft 10RT) and My (Jayco Baja 10Z) new pop ups. They are called offroad, but I wouldn't take them on Chinamons.

bh4rnnr

Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant
After talking with Ben(he is thinking about getting one), he said he would have takin it on the trails that we did on last years Ghost Town Run. The trails this year sholdnt be any more difficult. I think Nathaniel was talking about heading up friday night and leaving his pop up camper at the campsite in Camp Hale.

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
bh4rnnr said:
Tentative dates are for july 23 and 24th 2006. :
that's sunday and monday? :confused:

subzali

Hard Core 4+
From my little outing last fall I wouldn't suggest taking a trailer over Mosquito with a carbureted vehicle. Had a *little* lack of power at 13,000 feet, barely grunted itself up the little steep section near the pass. A locked 80 will do wonders for those high-altitude whoopdeedoos though.

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
We could do it for sure with our newer rigs pulling them. Just air down the trailer tires. Not sure how fun it would be bouncing a trailer over all those long bumpy roads though.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
JadeRunner said:
We could do it for sure with our newer rigs pulling them. Just air down the trailer tires. Not sure how fun it would be bouncing a trailer over all those long bumpy roads though.

So why are you buying an offroad camper? :D

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Trailers

I believe that the backcountry guide says that Ptarmigan and McAllister are moderate trail ratings, but only for a few sections on each. My trailer is a '92 Coleman, and while I have plans to put springs under it that would allow for bigger tires, I probably won't drag it over all of the trails just yet. I was toying with going up Friday afternoon and getting it set up for Saturday. It might be nice to have more folks w/trailers do the same to get kind of a group area set-up.

I concurr that the trailers designed for off-road use would have no problems.

The dates should be July 22nd and 23rd. More details to come. :woot:

wesintl

RS Moderator
Groucho said:
The dates should be July 22nd and 23rd. More details to come. :woot:

Thanks Nathaniel. I added it to the calendar. Looking forward to more info once you guys hammer out the details :bowdown:

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I've run Ptarmigan several times. It's got great scenery. A bunch of water crossings towards the end. Definitely an easy trail. I took a group up there a few years back for a family reunion, that included a stock Jeep and a Ford Exploder. Everyone had fun, no one got stuck.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
A group camper outing would be a blast, hopefully we can do this as well. I'd be a lot more into dropping the popup off then going wheeling, than wheeling with the popup though. Not that it couldn't do it, but all that bouncing around only makes things looser and not work as well. It's just veneer, plywood, & wood screws..

[hijack]And Groucho, let's set a date to build up our trailers. I've been planning on a spring over and bigger tires too, already got the tires in fact. I also need to weld on a receiver hitch & some sliders.. but I ran out of runway to get it all done before Moab so will have to be this summer some time. [/hijack]

Also, if the dates for this are indeed July 22-23, then we should make a strong effort to keep the last weekend of July (29-30) open, because that's when the Boulder Ranger district has us penciled in for our Jenny Creek/Yankee Doodle Lake/mud bog resto project.

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I'm up for that! Indeed, not enough time before Moab. Keep it on the front burner. We'll have to gauge interest in bringing trailers up beforehand. I will also have to assess the camping situation around Camp Hale to do so.

Perry and I will keep everybody updated.

nakman said:
[hijack]And Groucho, let's set a date to build up our trailers. I've been planning on a spring over and bigger tires too, already got the tires in fact. I also need to weld on a receiver hitch & some sliders.. but I ran out of runway to get it all done before Moab so will have to be this summer some time. [/hijack]

farnhamstj

Hard Core 4+
Mosquito is bouncy but doable with trailer. Ptarmagan is a dirt road. Farnham's family has it on the calender. Great time last year. There is plenty of camping at Camp Hale. If Mango is open in Redcliff, (supposed to open next week 5/25) well worth stopping at. Rumor has it they will have a new roof top deck with the same great margs and fish tacos. We'll be in my neck of the woods can't wait. Should have the hot dogger installed by then. Is Wearimans(sp?) on the route? was fun until Nova guides leved for their Hummer tours. Lime creek is also fun and finishes near Shrine pass/ Vail pass. If there is any planning that I can help with please ask.

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
Isn't Ptarmigan pass connected to Muddy pass? My dad drove down Muddy Pass in the K5 and I'm pretty sure the wheels were locked the whole way down. More of a controlled skid than wheeling.

farnhamstj

Hard Core 4+
No muddy pass is near Kremling off hwy 40. Ptarmagan pass is the top of resolution mountain road(fr708) 11765ft very much a road.Black dot on map,2wd gravel/dirt. Not paved but almost. From the pass you woud go down Wearyman jeep trail(fr 747) ,well graded for Hummer tours 2 years ago. It is typically run the other direction. Up shrine pass rd rt turn at confuence of turkey and Wearyma creek. During run off there are a few stream crossings that can be unlifted rockerpanel deep but uneventful. Forest services calls it "challenging but not too difficult 4 wheel drive road" I believe it could be done in a Subaru if water levels are low. Don't get me wrong vey beautiful and worth driving of you've never been but easy in my book (starbuks parking lot was way more chalanging). It is 5.7 miles camp hale to Shrine pass rd. At one time there was a more chalanging route down Wilder gulch tr to Vail pass but that's been closed to motors for the 9 years I've been here.(good MTB trail) If desired I'd recomed run it in AM, luch at Mango's in Redcliff, Then Lime creek in the afternoon. Has a couple 4wd sections and a good(scary when wet) hillclimb. Ends up at shrine Pass and 2 miles out to Vail Pass. As a thought We might check on the Availability of Fowler-hillard Hut and see about spending the night at the top of Ptarmagan pass. www.huts.org (looks like no spaces available that weekend)

Last edited:

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
Has anyone run the 4wd road into Aspen? I have lived in Colorado for 29 years and had never been to Aspen so we drove up there last year. As you drop into the valley from the main road it is a forest service road off to the left.

You can head up Aspen Mtn and go over Taylor or you can head up to Ashcroft which will take you to Pearl

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
I LOVE Pearl Pass and would be up for that run later this year, either mid-August or early September. :D :smokin: