• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Fyffer's low oil pressure Chevy V8 issue

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Moved all the posts on this topic to its own thread.

White Stripe

Hard Core 4+
So you had bad oil pressure and running hot before? Then replaced all that stuff, had good oil pressure for 2 miles, then got low oil pressure?

fyffer

Rising Sun Member
So you had bad oil pressure and running hot before? Then replaced all that stuff, had good oil pressure for 2 miles, then got low oil pressure?
Yes and it was getting hot again, spokee too a guy whom wondered if my el. fan was working. So was going to test it, tracing the harness, found a connection was off of it. Attached took it for a ride, fine while cool , clutch start making a familiar noise squeaking.
Took it up Raton pass, now with very poor power.. Getting warm to 210-215, ambient Temp at 71. Stopped the fan was not on, home and a loud ticking noise. overflow1/3 over the Full line. Note, filled iit up by that same amount prior to drive, it's inhaling coolantI believe.

fyffer

Rising Sun Member
Looking at remanufactured engines 1999-2007-gm-lm7-l59. Believe this to be near Identical, but then would also need a place that could install it (might have found one locally) . The difference between rebuilding or chase the problem is worth it to me. Cause I will have 500k on that odometer, that has been my goal for some time now.
Thoughts @rover67

I do not want to drive in fear as I kind of go by myself most of the times.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Not saying it’s a filter issue but there is a thread on mud about wix filters toasting engines…

fyffer

Rising Sun Member
agreed, probably worth a tech thread for sure. The oil pressure after warmup seems very low. What does it sounds like when it is getting hot? do you have pictures of the metal you found in it?

the engine is if I remember correctly from a 2003 chevy express van. I don't think the oil type would have caused any issues. Weird filters maybe, but that doesn't seem like the culprit. Stick a PH46E in it and double check.

One thing that does happen is the o ring for the oil pickup tube can get messed up. Did you remove and replace the oil pickup tube and check the o ring?
IMG_8626.jpeg
IMG_8622.jpeg

There were some more in the oil pick up tube mesh. As well as little milky and shiny residue bottom of pan.

White Stripe

Hard Core 4+
Sorry. At least 5.3s are very easy to get ahold of. Good time to upgrade to a 6.0 if you want more power. Although the 5.3 scoots pretty good.

fyffer

Rising Sun Member
Sorry. At least 5.3s are very easy to get ahold of. Good time to upgrade to a 6.0 if you want more power. Although the 5.3 scoots pretty good.
Not looking for more power, did 104 mph at 3900 rpm 1 time. Never had any issues towing (grossly 2800 lbs) up grades. Would like to use the same harnesses installed (plug n play type) solution. As I am fairly certain it's shot by now. Forgot to mention at the SAS7, per OBD2 running lean bank 1 for 4 days then resolved itself.

I really would need advice on the easiest and best resolution, to get back on the Trails ASAP. I am really not very smart about all this and wont be able to do this on my own. Could Tow it to Springs or Pueblo, certain it's not safe or drivable that far. Suggestions / locations are very welcomed.

Telly

Rising Sun Member
I know a guy that specializes in LS swaps. He helped me with my LQ4 swap in my now sold 68 Camaro and current 87 FJ60. He recently built a harness for my upcoming C10 6.0 swap. Anyway, the guy is awesome and knows his stuff. He runs his business out of his home shop and lives on the south side of Colorado Springs. Reach out if you want his digits.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
sounds like it’s totally worth contacting the person Telly is referring to. They’d at least be comfortable with the swap as is I’d imagine. I wonder if he’d have a line on a short block also. You could probably find another 5.3 pretty easily from a salvage yard if you were ok with running a used motor. I did do valve springs and pushrods in that motor he could swap them or it may not even be worth running them again and he could adjust the redline appropriately.

I think with the metal and symptoms the motor sounds kinda done. Not sure what caused it though. It always had great wear characteristics when I had it. Maybe the o ring on the pickup started leaking and it initially lost oil pressure due to that and it caused damage to the point that fixing the o ring did t save it. Just a guess

fyffer

Rising Sun Member
I know a guy that specializes in LS swaps. He helped me with my LQ4 swap in my now sold 68 Camaro and current 87 FJ60. He recently built a harness for my upcoming C10 6.0 swap. Anyway, the guy is awesome and knows his stuff. He runs his business out of his home shop and lives on the south side of Colorado Springs. Reach out if you want his digits.
Send you a message.

fyffer

Rising Sun Member
If you wanted the cheapest route possible a used short block and swapping it yourself would be the ticket. I bet you could do it all for less than a grand
I do not have the know how, space and tools.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Any news? did you talk to the Guy Telly was pointing you to? A used 5.3 in there would get you back on the road fast and inexpensively.

Telly

Rising Sun Member
My guy (Eddie) did not respond yet but I'll try him again. I do know he is usually very busy and somewhat selective on what jobs he takes on. Good chance this is a dead end road. Sorry!

I bought my 6.0 and 4L80e last year from CL or FBMP (can't remember which on) for $2500. Probably a bit more $ than what you can find out there but it had a 2wd 4L80e included, which is hard to find in CO. Mike only needs a long block with no harness or accessories. I bet you can find a good engine for less than $1000.

fyffer

Rising Sun Member
No, Telly tried to contact him but he is appearantly very busy and has not gotten back to him.
Not completly desperate but back on the road again asap would make me very happy. Would not mind some additional ideas, suggestions and advice. I want to make it my daily. Pocket says around a 5k +\- figure, remanufactured is of preference. With install and tune, maybe I am asking for to much?

rover67

Rising Sun Member
what about sending Steve a message:

fyffer

Rising Sun Member
Well, Durango is about a 4.5hrs drive, not towing (thats another issue). I seriously doubt the 60 would make it that far, sounded really bad last time, soo bad I hesitate even to start it.

However, still thinking hard about that idea, but haven't contacted at this time.

fyffer

Rising Sun Member