Friday afternoon music

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
Here’s another video of really hip musician type people that I’ve been listening to lately.

And an oldie. 80s Athens Georgia garage revival stuff:

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Here’s another video of really hip musician type people that I’ve been listening to lately.

And an oldie. 80s Athens Georgia garage revival stuff:

I like that Uni Boys track. Good stuff

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Here, have a nice pallet cleanser with the amazing Merle Travis and Speedy West…

Merle Travis. Yes! Interesting tidbit. He was born and raised in Muhlenberg County, KY. Along with John Prine...

Also Don Everly, Kennedy Jones and James Best.

Everyone knows Don Everly, half of the Everly Brothers. Kennedy Jones is said to be the first guitarist to use a thumb pick.

James Best, yeah, Rosco P. Coltrane of the Dukes of Hazzard fame. But he was a very talented musician and singer, not to mention his mother, Lena Guy, is the sister of Ike Everly, father of the Everly Brothers.

The downside to Peabody Coal is black lung and economic destruction. But at least that hardship seems to have seeded some real musical talent.

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Merle Travis. Yes! Interesting tidbit. He was born and raised in Muhlenberg County, KY. Along with John Prine...

Also Don Everly, Kennedy Jones and James Best.

Everyone knows Don Everly, half of the Everly Brothers. Kennedy Jones is said to be the first guitarist to use a thumb pick.

James Best, yeah, Rosco P. Coltrane of the Dukes of Hazzard fame. But he was a very talented musician and singer, not to mention his mother, Lena Guy, is the sister of Ike Everly, father of the Everly Brothers.

The downside to Peabody Coal is black lung and economic destruction. But at least that hardship seems to have seeded some real musical talent.
Just as slavery begat the field hands’ blues. Misery is misery.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Tonight's show should be good!

View: https://youtu.be/vfvcUvFun0k

"Winslow"
High Country Hustle (top of the bill, from Durango)
Weather The Storm (2022)

View: https://youtu.be/Q5BygsZC5yM

"Julia Belle Swain"
Still House String Band (from Palisade)

SHSB's John Hartford cover was this past May, also at the Mesa Theater. They were the headlining an all local to GJish show that night so kind of a hodge podge. There will be no drum riser in the house tonight.

simps80

Rising Sun Member
I know this is all too mainstream
But this one is right up my “nice backstory” lane

This is Shane Hawkins playing at the Taylor Hawkins memorial concert for his dad the famous foo fighters drummer who died on tour in Columbia
There went that kids hero..compelling

Watch this kid hit these drums as hard as he can for his dad…you can see it in his face playing for him…rad

As one of the commenters notes…
When Grohl was the drummer he lost his front man
When Grohl was the front man he lost his drummer

The kid rips

View: https://youtu.be/P2KnD7sfpoA?si=YS99lfggFBPxhMWw

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru

View: https://youtu.be/em9b2iEcGQE

"Shopping For A Dog"
Fear of Strangers
Fear of Strangers S/T (1982)

This was a band back in the 1980s from Albany, NY. They had a slight cow punk (perhaps cow new wave?) sound that was forward looking by a few years of the explosion as we tripped into the 90s. I doubt they'd have ever crossed paths with the Midwest bands but I think they probably would have found an audience. I didn't know of them until much later and they had long since broken up.

They were:
Bass - Steve Cohen
Vocals - ‘Lonesome’ Val Haynes
Drums - Al Kash
Guitar- Todd Nelson

Last edited:

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
I was talking to my dad earlier this week and he was telling me how he went to see these guys in concert and Fleetwood Mac was their opener. That must have been a pretty awesome concert.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CTUsFm0BAu8&pp=ygUbaXMgbG92ZSB0byBjaGFuZ2UgdGhlIHdvcmxk

I honestly can’t remember pops ever talking about Ten Years After nor do I think I’ve ever heard them before. Regardless, I think this is a great song and kinda resonates with me right now.

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Saw TYA with Jethro Tull. I think Tull opened as it was not long after Woodstock and TYA was on fire at the time. I remember Alvin Lee using his mic stand as a slide on his guitar and it drove the crowd wild. For a bit, the crowd was screaming at the top of its lungs and it sounded like a Beatles concert. Alvin shouted “Don’t be so f@&/ing loud!”. My extroverted friend I was sitting next to hollered right back “Don’t be so f@&/ing great!” right as the crowd quieted down. It felt like 8,000 concert goers’ eyes were on us. 🫢

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Seeing/hearing Victor Wooten at the Boulder Theater tonight. Hope we don't get flooded out!
Ha, @KC Masterpiece as today you “liked” my post from 2014 about seeing Victor Wooten. You must be prescient as Cheeseman and I, along with wives, will be seeing him and his brothers Thursday night at the Cervantes Masterpiece. Good call! 😎

KC Masterpiece

Hard Core 4+
Ha, @KC Masterpiece as today you “liked” my post from 2014 about seeing Victor Wooten. You must be prescient as Cheeseman and I, along with wives, will be seeing him and his brothers Thursday night at the Cervantes Masterpiece. Good call! 😎
Believe it or not I was jamming to some Wooten and scrolling through. I thought thar was a recent post!

Yota_addict

Wincher
Kinda on the subject of music. Picked up this dual 1009 turntable locally for cheap and it sounds great. The cartridge is a shure which cost twice as much as what I paid for the turntable. I did a speed check and it’s running a tad slow. Anyone know of a vintage audio shop that works on these? I’ve cleaned it up a little but haven’t opened up the motor to see if it needs servicing. If I can’t find a place familiar with vintage stuff I’ll open it up and tear thru it. Any help appreciated.

IMG_8311.jpeg