Emissions testing with 35" tires?

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
....After all of this, I was going to fail the gas cap test, but they faked that when I promised to immediately go buy a new one.

From page 1 of this thread you started... :rolleyes:

Also if you're still running your stock gas cap, it wouldn't hurt to pick up a new one- that seems to be a common failure point and for a few extra bucks you may as well do it now rather than have to take a second trip to the emissions place, which is a PITA especially when a second set of tires is involved. Or if Timmbuck's gas cap is newer than yours, borrow his! :)

but congrats on passing regardless.. :cool:

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Glad it worked out. I am making sure in 1 year and 6 months that I will drive by the rapid test several times each week so I dont have to go through this again. I didnt know that it cuts off two months before your plates are due and thats when I started driving by those places.

sleeoffroad

Hard Core 4+
They sure do emissions with larger tires. You just have to find the right station :D

I had to take the motorhome. :D Talk about scary putting a 38ft motorhome with a Cat diesel engine on a dyno and then letting it run full throttle. :D

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
NEXT STEP
Jeff Zettl swapped tires with me. His Toyo 285 tires are roughly 33" vs. my 315 Mickey Thompson tires which are more like 34".

Want to swap back again? :D

The LX looks seriously wimpy now with the 285s on it again...Not as wimpy as your 80 with the 4" lift and the 285s looked though :lmao: - Glad it all worked out :thumb:

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
They sure do emissions with larger tires. You just have to find the right station :D

I had to take the motorhome. :D Talk about scary putting a 38ft motorhome with a Cat diesel engine on a dyno and then letting it run full throttle. :D

It's not 4WD though, is it? I think that's the real issue.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Want to swap back again? :D

The LX looks seriously wimpy now with the 285s on it again...Not as wimpy as your 80 with the 4" lift and the 285s looked though :lmao: - Glad it all worked out :thumb:

Yeah, but you got your cool Lexus wheels back -- that's gotta be worth something, right? :D

When I had my 60, I had to keep a pair of 33's in my garage just for emission testing. The first time they tried to test with the 35's, the truck drove right over the rollers on the dyno. It was hilarious, but having to swap out the rears every time testing came around wasn't very funny at all.

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
Yesterday I was turned down for the first time in Broomfield with my 35s. I had tested there three times before with no issues.

Does anyone have true 33” extra set on north side? Calvin has offered me his 295s but I’m concerned they will not test those either. He said they have a new measuring tool and won’t test anything bigger than about 33s.

What a pain!

Basaltfj40

Trail Ready
Yesterday I was turned down for the first time in Broomfield with my 35s. I had tested there three times before with no issues.

Does anyone have true 33” extra set on north side? Calvin has offered me his 295s but I’m concerned they will not test those either. He said they have a new measuring tool and won’t test anything bigger than about 33s.

What a pain!

I have a set of semi bald 255/75/17 bfg km's on 4Runner rims in Denver at a buddies house, they are also for sale. But you can use them if needed

Attachments

• IMG_0280.jpg
    IMG_0280.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 164

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
I’m not sure the runner rims will fit over my 80 hubs? I have a GX 470 and considered using those rims, but the hub looks smaller on the GX. The backspacing is off as well. The 40 rims would probably fit, but I think it would change the shift points on the tranny too much and I would worry it could cause issues with the test? They need to keep the rpms at certain points if I remember right?

Basaltfj40

Trail Ready
They will fit an 80 I had them on mine, the back spacing is only an issue if off-roading.

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
The air care off of sheridan will test trucks with 35s. They have a special lane for it amd they even state it on their website. It's one of two stations they have for oversized tires.

Giovanni

Lifted

What a pain!

Broomfield Air Care are some serious bastards. Straight up. I've had endless problems with them. The worst was last year they would not test my 60 because my "air pump" was not in the same location as their magic book states. I don't usually yell at the techs at air care but my 60 has been tested at this location for the past 15 years without the smog pump ever moving. I was told I would get a free retest next time and they gave me a card. Next time I went through a few days later I had a different tech that did not mention the smog pump whatsoever. To my surprise I took my free card up to pay and they said it wasn't valid. I went over to the previous tech that failed my truck due to the pump, he stated the free card he gave me wasn't valid for no apparent reason. They have also previously tried to fail me because my cat "didn't" look right. Its and oem cat, that is a whole other screwed up story with air care. Also had issues with them and the work truck that is brand new. In my experience they are very inconsistent and will make up any reason they want to fail you.

I know we live here and its local to us but I would strongly suggest you go to Erie, I have had much less headache there, less busy, and you can hop on the highway before easily.
I would offer you up my 80 tires but I think they're too big also,34s. I don't know for sure that one doesn't go to air care.

LXBRADY

Hard Core 4+
ACC on Colorado in HR has accepted 35” tires the last three times I have been in.

Passed yesterday, :clap:

Last edited by a moderator:

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
Thanks guys...I think my best bet is to try one of the other places that will do bigger tires? Swapping tires is a PIA if I can just drive a little further with mine and get 'er done. I'll report back.

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
The air care off of sheridan will test trucks with 35s. They have a special lane for it amd they even state it on their website. It's one of two stations they have for oversized tires.

This only applies if you can get in 2 wheel drive....at least that's what they told me when I called.

This only applies if you can get in 2 wheel drive....at least that's what they told me when I called.

On my 2004 4runner it can't be run on a RWD dyno because of traction control. Because my tires measured less than their stick but still touched the alignment rollers they ran it only as an OBD2 scan. The OBD2 scan is not technically allowed for a vehicle that old. If you're pre OBD2 or carbureted I'm not sure what they would do. I usually go to the Ken Karyl facility and they don't even question it, not sure of the difference there.

RayRay27

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee

I have had great success at the Sheridan station with my 80 on 315's. They seem to be the only ones who have any brains and common sense when it comes to testing lifted vehicles.

Definitely do not ever go to the Ft. Collins station. I was told I could not test because my oil pressure gauge would go to high while driving on the rollers. They told me that your oil pressure gauge should never move. They failed me for having a defective vehicle. I told them to pound sand.:rant:

Cheeseman

Rising Sun Member
I have a set of 4 32" tires on 16" rims that I keep just for emissions. Matt Farr used them and donated a set of Lug nuts for an 80. So did Steve Crase on his 62. I have used them for the last 2 sessions on my '85 Runner and my '89 62. So they are available for anyone for the short time. I Plan to put the tires on my sons 3 Gen runner soon. So give me a call. Number is in the club roster.

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
Greg...thanks for the offer. I ran down today to the ACC off 52nd (is this the “Sheridan” location?) and they tested it without an issue at all. They grabbed an older “experienced” looking dude who even knew to press the power button and take it out of OD. Very impressed.

Passed with flying colors, even w cheap gas and no HEET!!!

I know where I’ll be going from now on!

Thanks again for all the advice and offers!