Rising Sun Member

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
PeasNoBeGrumpy.jpg

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
The testing place in Sheridan you say.

Hmm My plates are coming due. I started driving by all the rapid screen places and then I saw they have a cut off of two months before your renewal date for the rapid screen. I don't understand that one.

I was planning on swapping with Sarah for the day.

But you're cruiser's old enough that you don't have to dyno. tire size doesn't matter if you don't have to dyno.

they put it on a dyno in 2wd I watched it was pretty sketchy

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
My thought of the day...What is the purpose of emissions testing?
"Vehicle emissions testing is part of the State of Colorado's overall strategy to improve air quality in and around the Denver-Boulder region."

Why do they have the dyno?
"The I/M 240 test is much more effective than older technologies for identifying polluting vehicles. It tests for carbon monoxide (CO), hydrocarbons (HC) and oxides of nitrogen (NOx) during a simulated driving cycle. The vehicle is placed on a treadmill-like device, or dynamometer, and typical driving activities such as idling, cruising, acceleration and deceleration are performed while pollution is collected from the tailpipe."

We are talking PPM - Parts Per Million here. Demanding I 'rent' 33" tires to accuratly simulate real driving conditions is a disservice to the testing process. Using their own logic, I can assume it is also legal to remove all emissions equipment from my vehicle as long as I "returned to stock condition for testing".

Tires that are smaller than 17 inches or larger than 34 inches cannot be safely tested on the dynamometer.

"Only vehicles with manufacturer-equipped undersized or oversized tires that do not fit safely on the dynamometer will be authorized by the state to undergo an idle test instead of a dynamometer test. Vehicles with tires larger or smaller than original equipment that do not fit safely on the dynamometer must be returned to stock condition for testing. Vehicles with non-original undersized or oversized tires will not receive authorization from the state for an idle test."

Quotes taken directly from - http://www.aircarecolorado.com/im240tst.htm

I just had the emissions tested in Broomfield on my '72 FJ40 and they didn't put it on the dyno or even open the hood. They just ran it up to about 2200 RPMs and then let it idle for a bit. It was running rich during idle the first time so I adjusted the idle mixture and it passed to second time through.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
We are talking PPM - Parts Per Million here. Demanding I 'rent' 33" tires to accuratly simulate real driving conditions is a disservice to the testing process. Using their own logic, I can assume it is also legal to remove all emissions equipment from my vehicle as long as I "returned to stock condition for testing".
http://www.aircarecolorado.com/im240tst.htm
Two different issues. The emissions equipment is directly related to air quality. The tire size concern is directly related to the condition of the west wall of the testing facility and your vehicle's front end.

:lmao:

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
I think they even put my 73 Mustang on the dyno....but that was 8 years ago...

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I just had the emissions tested in Broomfield on my '72 FJ40 and they didn't put it on the dyno or even open the hood. They just ran it up to about 2200 RPMs and then let it idle for a bit. It was running rich during idle the first time so I adjusted the idle mixture and it passed to second time through.

Yes, that was the correct procedure. They only dyno test vehicles that are 1982 or newer.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Yes, that was the correct procedure. They only dyno test vehicles that are 1982 or newer.

Unless you get some young kid that doesn't know what the heck he is doing and insists it has to be on the dyno :rolleyes: - I learned not to argue with them when they insisted my "Jeep" had to be put on the dyno...I just asked that they strap it down first :) which to my knowledge they can't really do...

Oh, and the 40 had 35 BFG MTs on it at the time and they still did it :eek:

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
This brought a tear to my eye. Has to be the happiest day in my life...

No emissions test required :woot::party::grinpimp:

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 227

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
This brought a tear to my eye. Has to be the happiest day in my life...

No emissions test required :woot::party::grinpimp:

That must be for the GMC? Thought Diesel was every year? On my 1 Ton w/Duramax (it is commercial though) I have to test every year.

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
funny you mention that....I am not sure if I should even bother but.....

The state has the Diesel marked as a gasser :confused:

These are for the 40, the 80, the Duramax, and the Merc.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
who'd you pay off? :confused:

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
who'd you pay off? :confused:

I gave the state $1000+ dollars for a couple stickers. I think they are the ones I paid off. :eek:

The next question at hand is I paid 616 to register the 80. Taxes this year are 33. I think I may need to have a little talk with them on the taxable value used when I registered the 80.

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
That must be for the GMC? Thought Diesel was every year? On my 1 Ton w/Duramax (it is commercial though) I have to test every year.

must be commercial because i didn't have to test the ford this year.

Does anyone know if I would have get emmissons test on 73' Fj40 with an address in Almont or Gunnison? Thanks, Jeff