Emissions testing with 35" tires?

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
What's the probability that I can go get emissions tested with my 315 tires? :(

They wouldn't let me do it.. I had to have my 33's put on. What a run around. I've heard you can request they measure the tires because 35's usually measure 33. Didn't know that at the time:tongue2:

In Boulder I tested my truck with my 38's on :D and I failed the test Bad:rolleyes: so I registered my 40 in weld county to my dad's address I guess they dont make people pass emissions up there :hill:

Beater

Hard Core 4+
well, one of my best friends is a director for the state dept that over sees emissions/clean air. while the rule clearly states that they must measure, the over-riding rule is the safety rule that follows that immediately. I pushed this real hard, seeing as I had a copy of the statute, and got NO WHERE.

Now, the counter of it is, that one facility tried to do the full-time 4wd dyno and my 315's. It was downright scary. We, the facility manager and myself ended the test before it was finished due to fear. maybe different for 2wd/part time, but knowing what I know now, I will always borrow some wheels for testing if needed on full time.

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
I am close by. could swap with my 80 for the day...

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
In Boulder I tested my truck with my 38's on :D and I failed the test Bad:rolleyes: so I registered my 40 in weld county to my dad's address I guess they dont make people pass emissions up there :hill:

But you're cruiser's old enough that you don't have to dyno. tire size doesn't matter if you don't have to dyno.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
I got denied too Matt, remember how we traded tires?

Also if you're still running your stock gas cap, it wouldn't hurt to pick up a new one- that seems to be a common failure point and for a few extra bucks you may as well do it now rather than have to take a second trip to the emissions place, which is a PITA especially when a second set of tires is involved. Or if Timmbuck's gas cap is newer than yours, borrow his! :)

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Two years ago I fought the statute issue on the advice of the state administrator of the contract with Envirotest. He wanted me to push it, as he was frustrated with them. I lost. I went to three Envirotest centers and they even had called ahead to blacklist me. Nasty folk.

Then last year Squishy got his tested with 35s at the Sheridan sniffer. Feeling less lucky, I swapped on my 33s - only to watch a Bronco go through on 35s without issue. Duh. The new supervisor at the Sheridan sniffer is a sensible fellow, spoke with him a while on the issue. He is aware of the statute - and is also a wheeler.

Oh, make sure your tires are inflated to near the sidewall max. Just sayin'.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
I was wondering the same myself... my 35's measure something like 33-34 when inflated to 35psi. I have a stock set of wheels and tires in the garage though, so i'll just swap those on and be done with it. My TN tags are up next month so I gotta get cracking... I have lots of work to do to get this baby to pass.

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
Envirotest is a sore point for most...Anytime the government pours money into a single business, even if it was the right one, and mandates they are the only place you can go... you can forget about expecting integrity, honor, customer service, ethics, logic, reason, etc. Monopolies have no incentive to treat you right because you are forced to do business with them. I would fight it if I wasn't in the minority. I have heard plenty of people tell me they got rid of a car because the check engine light was on and Envirotest told them to pound sand. The only loop hole is the gross polluter tag you can apply for after you can prove you dumped hundreds into trying to turn the light off. The system is broken. My advice to you Matt is to see if you can fit a 315 up the shop manager's a**. No reason to be a pessimist, that would be downright funny.

On a side note while you are there, rip down every sign and pamphlet you see that is only written in Spanish.

Part number for an 80 gas cap is 77310-16011. List price $16.21

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I have a set of "e-tires" mounted on stock 80 wheels your welcome to use.

That would probably be easiest, so I don't have to worry about getting Timm's tires back to him in a hurry. Can you bring them to the October RS meeting?

Thanks for all the advice and stories, guys. I'd rather just go once and get it over with. I'll buy a new gas cap too.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
That would probably be easiest, so I don't have to worry about getting Timm's tires back to him in a hurry. Can you bring them to the October RS meeting?

Thanks for all the advice and stories, guys. I'd rather just go once and get it over with. I'll buy a new gas cap too.

Sure....I think they're up at Robbies so I'll grab them. That works out as I will prolly need to haul home a 60 full floater from the meeting too! (unless someone wants a FJ-60 width full floater rear with Lock right set up for FJ-40 spring under? {shamless plug :rolleyes:})

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
You could swing by and ask the manager. Perhaps (s)he is a sensible person too!

Wow, Root, I agree with your premise... but GEE PEOPLE it is a beautiful day and it is GREAT to be alive and your retirement WILL come back in value, it really will!

Grumpy is a waste of energy!! :lmao: :lmao:

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
You could swing by and ask the manager. Perhaps (s)he is a sensible person too!

Wow, Root, I agree with your premise... but GEE PEOPLE it is a beautiful day and it is GREAT to be alive and your retirement WILL come back in value, it really will!

Grumpy is a waste of energy!! :lmao: :lmao:

That may have come across as a bit bitter but there has to be a better system out there. Post a pic of your puppy and we can save this thread!

Attachments

• DSCF1978.jpg
    DSCF1978.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 280

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee

No hurry, I can drive with 35's for as long as needed. Give me a good idea on how badly I want some..... :)

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
what about the drive-by testers? thought if you drove by those a few times you would not have to go in....

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
what about the drive-by testers? thought if you drove by those a few times you would not have to go in....

Too late for that.. if they send you the notice that you need to go in, then you didn't drive by enough of the sniffers. On the flip side, if you drove by a bunch of sniffers your notice in the mail would say "no test required."

Here's Belle before she turned all gray.. :beer:

Attachments

• belle1.jpg
    belle1.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 286

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
That may have come across as a bit bitter but there has to be a better system out there. Post a pic of your puppy and we can save this thread!

Better yet I bet some Barbie and Ken poser pics would lighten things up! :eek: :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao: