• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

electric bikes

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Seen at one of the local motorcycle shops (Perri's in GJ). Quietkat Apex - 71 lbs and 1,500 watts. Still a bicycle?

It seems the main issue here is that they are viewed as an alternative to a motorcycle in the sense that hunters and anglers are using them to access non-motorized places, which is a debate of its own.

But they get too far in and run out of juice, which presents a problem in that it's not easy to recover them being essentially to pedal without assist impossible unless you're a good cyclist (in which case you probably didn't really need the assist anyway) and impossible of course to use a pickup to carry them or dirt bike to tow, because they're on a non-motorized trail.

201832177_1138132623347747_2579914693183918039_n.jpg

Last edited:

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
There’s another great example. Said fat ass hunter needs an e-bike to access backcountry he/she can’t hike to. Then drops a nice trophy elk. Now what? Is this hunter going to ride said bike with a 70-120lb pack? OK, lets section said animal down into 50lb loads and just make more trips. Wait my battery is dead now what? Charge off a generator I’m sure.

Angler, OK whatever. Just tell them you released your 50lb trout because you couldn’t ride it out. Fish stories never get old.

I like Dave’s simple approach. Motor/engine yes or no. Treat accordingly as we always have. Just wait until we have drones capable of carrying a person. Then we can all summit any mountain peak.

F909B0F6-8437-489E-B09D-09E09C01B591.png

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
In a perfect world that being motorized has to be a negative (which is the implication) but each trail would then have to be categorized on merits. There's trails where the extra power wouldn't create excess wear on the trail surface and an eMTB would still be easier on the trail than a dirt bike.

It also goes the other way where there might be trails that a lightweight XC bike is the limit (viewed as a beefed up hiking or equestrian trail) and the big hit DH bikes, human or electric, would be too much wear and tear or allow too much speed for high traffic trails.

Where I'm leading with is I honestly think that hunters and bikes have a common meeting point especially when it comes to Wilderness. When bikes got kicked out in the 1980s so did hunters using wheeled trailers and carts. Maybe there's opportunity to say some MTBs are no different than a hiker or horse in this case.

But adding electric motors is going to undercut any opportunity for that.

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Here's some examples of this class of e-bike for hunting. It's fine, really no different than an ATV or something. Just think it needs to be recognized as the vehicle it is and not a bicycle.

They're quiet and easier than a gas engine so there is certainly real benefit to the application as long as the user takes responsibility for extra batteries, flat kit, extra chain. Not sure how many potential customers are "bike people" so-to-speak to know that stuff.

index.jpg

index2.jpg

Beach Boy

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Just finished a 53 mile ride on the Mickelson trail up in the Black Hills. They now allow pedal assist bikes. Would never have been able to ride this far any more, how nice it was to get out for a long bike ride. I took an extra battery which I used.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Got my Ariel Rider Grizzly in yesterday. I'm pretty impressed. 2 motors and 2 batteries. It's a lot of fun!
You still liking it? I made the mistake of looking at their website, now my IG, browser ads, email, all remind me about ebikes constantly. Curious why you went with the Grizzly over the D-Class, do you notice the rear suspension? And have you taken it off many jumps? Is it made for that? These seem to be better than the Rad Power line, at least from what I've read but I'm probably only reading one side of it.

satchel

Rising Sun Member
You still liking it? I made the mistake of looking at their website, now my IG, browser ads, email, all remind me about ebikes constantly. Curious why you went with the Grizzly over the D-Class, do you notice the rear suspension? And have you taken it off many jumps? Is it made for that? These seem to be better than the Rad Power line, at least from what I've read but I'm probably only reading one side of it.

Yeah I love it. So much faster to get around on that thing most places out here than driving. I got the grizzly for the dual battery (longer range) and suspension. I haven't done any jumps, not sure how it would handle for that kind of stuff, but I am running a lot of dirt roads/washboard/pot hole kinda roads and it does really well for that I think.

It gets about the same speed as most of the top end bikes, a little more probably (my max was 39mph), but the reviews I saw were drastic when going up hills. It just kills everything else out there. I'm maintaining 20+ mph speeds at incline instead of slowing to 5-10mph like most the others, and it gets up to 35 super quickly so I'm able to get out of the way of cars and keep up with them on the roads as needed.

And I agree, I'm still getting ads on every website.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
So I'm looking at these again, considering buying the family one for Xmas... anyone have any intel on the entry-level eBikes? Or one they want to sell?

I'm looking in the $1000 and under range. What I can tell you is...

- range doesn't matter. Someone might ride this to the store, to soccer practice, to school, etc. then plug it in when they get home.
- speed doesn't matter. No commuting here, just sidewalks mostly
- ability to haul groceries is a plus. doubtful a 2nd rider would ever come into play.

thinking like a Lectric 3.0 for example. https://lectricebikes.com/products/...eDRSXE6QfzJZ_F54AFpxMDUNT-ziTwbcaAhVSEALw_wcB
bxp-bfb-1.jpg

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
the company I get light bars from also makes bikes now. So I am considering one of theirs...
20'' 750W.jpg

just not sure if these are all the same, or if there's any notable difference? I am guessing the battery is dead in a year-

gungriffin

Rising Sun Member
Just a heads up, the city of Denver has a rebate program for electric bikes. I cannot remember the specifics. I know that some of it is income based and it can cover quite a bit of the purchase.

Edit: It looks like it is all used up for 2022 and will return in 2023

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
So I'm looking at these again, considering buying the family one for Xmas... anyone have any intel on the entry-level eBikes? Or one they want to sell?

I'm looking in the $1000 and under range. What I can tell you is...

- range doesn't matter. Someone might ride this to the store, to soccer practice, to school, etc. then plug it in when they get home.
- speed doesn't matter. No commuting here, just sidewalks mostly
- ability to haul groceries is a plus. doubtful a 2nd rider would ever come into play.

thinking like a Lectric 3.0 for example. https://lectricebikes.com/products/...eDRSXE6QfzJZ_F54AFpxMDUNT-ziTwbcaAhVSEALw_wcB
bxp-bfb-1.jpg
Shoot me a message. I was about to list my father in laws Rad Rover for sale.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
The rad power bikes are pretty nice for what you pay, I'd consider the one Hans is selling...