• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

electric bikes

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Indeed, the bicycle itself was an improvement over walking and horses as a means of transportation. So things change over time, that's a given. I think it's kind of a philosophical question. What's the point of riding a MTB or using a bike to commute? Is not the exercise and using your own power pretty much the point? I mean, if I wasn't riding a totally human powered bike then I figure I might as well run a dirt bike and have a different kind of fun and challenge.

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
I think the electric assist opens up bike commuting to more folks who don’t want to get all sweaty on the way to work. If I lived in town I’d be all over one even making sales calls all day.

But to just go out a pleasure ride I’ll take 100% human power or a full moto if the wife would let me have one. :(

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
I think the electric assist opens up bike commuting to more folks who don’t want to get all sweaty on the way to work. If I lived in town I’d be all over one even making sales calls all day.

But to just go out a pleasure ride I’ll take 100% human power or a full moto if the wife would let me have one. :(

totally agree, Corbet. Except the wife part :D

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Tim, from my extraordinarily unscientific observation of folks I come across riding e-bikes on singletrack, I'd say there are very few e-bike riders today who've spent much recent time in the woods on a real MTB. Most seem to be on the trail because the e-bike enables them to be. That'll change, if for no other reason than my earlier comment about aging.

Mark

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Ok that's interesting, but I will take your word for it, you're probably right. so even more users then, sharing the same terrain.

simps80

Rising Sun Member
I need to get an e-bike and ride it up the asses of all the bro's who ride their bikes up my ass everytime I am running on the trail

baja1d

Hard Core 4+
Curious if those with special needs/combat injuries are exempt?

Anybody know? I ask because we were just having this same discussion at the firehouse. One of our very skilled (anti- ebike) riders recently passed an ebike on the trail. While taking a break the ebike caught up to him and the conversation the two had changed his mine significantly. The bike was a Veteran who had sustained some life changing injuries in the war. Simply put, the only way he could be out on the trail was with assistance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J Kimmel

Hard Core 4+
Curious if those with special needs/combat injuries are exempt?

Anybody know? I ask because we were just having this same discussion at the firehouse. One of our very skilled (anti- ebike) riders recently passed an ebike on the trail. While taking a break the ebike caught up to him and the conversation the two had changed his mine significantly. The bike was a Veteran who had sustained some life changing injuries in the war. Simply put, the only way he could be out on the trail was with assistance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

don't think so, the trail is either motorized or its not. ebikes are considered motorized regardless of physical limitations.

Jenny Cruiser

Hard Core 4+
That's how it is here on the trails only it's usually an older couple. I can hear them coming and as they blast past me I see the digital display on the handlebars and super bright LED front and rear lights. Pretty cool bikes, er motorcycles.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Notice this morning.

IMG_0284_mid.jpg

BLM said:
Although not gas or diesel powered, the e-bicycle does have a motor that enables powered assistance for its rider and thus is defined as a motor vehicle by BLM.

BLM policy designates trails for specific users (e.g. horseback riding, hiking, motor vehicles, mountain biking, etc.). E-bicycles, having motors and being defined as motor vehicles by the BLM, are permitted only on trails were motor vehicles are allowed. The use of e-bicycles on non-motorized routes is prohibited.

Bureau of Land Management
Grand Junction Field Office

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
Finally got the conversion completed and have been riding to work all week! I'm sticking to the bike lanes all the way to work and wont even think about taking it on any trails. I do take the 470 bikeway for part of it as I haven't been able to find any rules against it.

The way I see it, this not only saves me money in gas but more importantly, takes one more car off the road. Oh, and it's a lot of fun too!

Attachments

• 10429.jpg
    10429.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 274

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
good to see you coming around, Dave! :) I dig that last one, reminds me of Steve McQueen in the Great Escape.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
On Rollins Pass this past weekend we probably passed 10 bike riders, and most of them were electric assist. I guess that's a good road for those? Was surprised a little to see so many of them... and they were generally ridden by folks who would have struggled with all pedal power.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
new article on the subject... https://www.velonews.com/2018/10/bi...-e-bikes-and-the-worst-term-in-cycling_479837 Interesting quote:

These are pedal-assist bikes, not motorized bikes. They are pedal-assist bikes, not e-bikes. They aren’t one step away from a motorcycle, and if you’re a mountain biker shouting that on social media, you are cutting off your nose to spite your face. Take the time to ride a pedal-assist mountain bike and you’ll see why.

I think the parallel here with bikes and OHV access is pretty obvious- in some ways these "pedal-assist" machines are the next side by side..

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
You know what else started as "pedal assisted"? Harleys.

maxresdefault.jpg

I don't think there has to be a fine distinction. For the purposes of recreation it's either got a motor or it doesn't. Recreational use isn't mandatory, the point is to use your body to get somewhere. For utility, for transport, 100% on board with making technology work for us.