• TONIGHT! UPDATED LOCATION DUE TO RAIN FORECAST: MAY 2024 CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: The next RS meeting will be Wednesday, May 1, 2024 at 7:30 p.m. The meeting will be held indoors at the fabulous Golden Gate Canyon Grange. Click here for directions. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.

⦿ If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

DomOfTheDead's 1996 FZJ80 build

Lastresort576

Hard Core 4+
I love that whole area. Kelly flats, seven mile, bald mountain and green ridge are all fun trails. On KF, heart attack hill was way more tore up than last time I ran it, the chute looked like someone had moved a lot of rock into it to fill holes and make it easier.
good to know! I havent really ventured out that way yet, so gonna have to research the trails a bit and hopefully make it a fun weekend.

J1000

Rising Sun Member
Yeah KF was a pretty tough trail. I'm even more impressed after watching that video again that you didn't have the rear lokka in but still made those climbs.

Lastresort576

Hard Core 4+
watching another video of the chutes, did you guys attempt the chutes, almost looks a bit too tight for an 80?

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
watching another video of the chutes, did you guys attempt the chutes, almost looks a bit too tight for an 80?
We didn't try it as neither truck had lockers at the time

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
I added access panels to the tailgate. I borrowed design ideas from alohajen on mud and bought the marine grade panels from ebay. Cut out using the trusty grinder and added some L bracket to keep things in place.
20230219_114520.jpg
20230219_140127.jpg
20230219_142442.jpg

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab prep work:
Installed some slightly used springs front and rear equating to 3.5in of lift. Might be Dobinsons but not sure of that. Delta 3in arms and new bushings. ARB Adjustable panhards front and rear. Alignment from Lakewood B & A. Re-grease and torque of wheel bearings. Replaced seals
20230408_105449.jpg
20230325_112649.jpg
20230325_112624.jpg

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
New tires! Drove on new ones to home to swap out back to old tires for emissions testing. Broke a wheel stud swapping new tires. I always enjoy pulling apart something i just put together recently to then put it back together again.:doh:
20230617_145947.jpg
Ran it through emissions today and blew some awful numbers. Not overly surprising with the upper cat hollowed out but I was hopeful
20230620_162257.jpg
my plan now is to patch in a used cat I have already and give the truck an oil change. Test again.

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
The Sheridan station next to envision Fab will test anything up to 37’s.

Lastresort576

Hard Core 4+
The Sheridan station next to envision Fab will test anything up to 37’s.
yup theyre one of the few stations that is setup with the vehicle restraint system or whatever. now if they actually strap it down, thats another story.
Ran it through emissions today and blew some awful numbers. Not overly surprising with the upper cat hollowed out but I was hopeful my plan now is to patch in a used cat I have already and give the truck an oil change. Test again.
Might be worth it to just go brand new unless you want to go through the same old song n dance again. I wasted far too much time and money on gaskets trying to make what i had work.

Last edited:

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
yup theyre one of the few stations that is setup with the vehicle restraint system or whatever. no if they actually strap it down, thats another story.

Might be worth it to just go brand new unless you want to go through the same old song n dance again. I wasted far too much time and money on gaskets trying to make what i had work.
My issue is CARB compliance. Can't afford an toyota direct replacement and no one will ship a cost effective non-CARB unit to CO.

Telly

Rising Sun Member
no one will ship a cost effective non-CARB unit to CO.
Ran into that with my old trusty 82 Pickup. My sister, who lives in Kansas, ordered one and shipped it to me. I'm going back to Kansas over the 4th and could bring one back for you.

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee

DanS

Rising Sun Member
We are not going to have this conversation about the pilot again. 🤣🤣🤣
This is a conversation I want to be a fly on the wall for…. 🤣🤣

Dan