DomOfTheDead's 1996 FZJ80 build

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
Nice! The avocaDom??

Bumper looks good!

The texture is interesting! ... And yea definitely sandpapery... Maybe it'll rub off on you haha lolz 😉 (there's a decent opportunity for some abrasive puns, hahaha)

Allen
I hope it sands down the trail edge shrubs to keep the pinstriping down on my baby!
It's coming along quite nicely!

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
it's the Guac!

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
Fully bolted in the front bumper and installed winch. Warn VR 12k. Indexed the free spool lever and mounted foot forward. I didn't realize ARB sells a separate spacer for mounting the winch, (much to my irritation, some insults were uttered towards Oregon and Australia) so I fabbed some spacers using flat stock. Thanks to @jps8460 / Slee for the hook up (crappy pun, I know😉) on a nice self closing hammer lock hook
20211209_151159.jpg
20211209_151204.jpg

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
Here's a few items over the last couple of month's I have been working on.....

Traced a constant electrical draw to a PO installed defunct alarm system.
20211228_160346.jpg

20211228_160331.jpg
finally installed the snorkel I had been sitting on for a while. Had some issues with the bolt pattern template but powered through it with help from @Notyourmomslx450 . I had to fab my own A pillar support as my used snorkel didn't include the part
20220327_124847.jpg
20220327_124819.jpg
20220327_124829.jpg
replace a front brake line that got a little too close to the exhaust. Also replaced 2 others that were still OE rubber.
20220323_191918.jpg
20220323_191748.jpg
replaced ujoints in both front and rear drive shafts
20220327_155953.jpg
Grandpa B's ball peen hammer handle finally had enough of my abuse since I inherited it
20220329_171753.jpg

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
Now for the fun part...
Installed underdrive high range gears and 3:1 low range gears in the tcase.
20220405_194914-jpg.103633
20220410_193950.jpg
20220410_201240.jpg
20220412_202206.jpg
Message_1650146981929.jpg
Message_1650151335059.jpg
as of now tcase is back in the truck and working on putting the driveshafts back in. Aiming to road test and get some break in time this week before Cruise Moab. Big thanks to @jps8460 for consultation and use of tools, @rover67 for additional tool loan and @Stuckinthe80s for help with press work and endless comradery

Attachments

• 20220405_194914.jpg
    20220405_194914.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 344
Last edited:

allen.wrench

Rising Sun Member
Grandpa Bs ball peen needs a new handle
@DomOfTheDead I have to confess, I have a rare enjoyment for replacing wood handles on hammers & axes.

Dude! If you're cool with it, I'd love to offer replacing the handle for your grandpa's ball peen! I'd get a nice straight grain hickory from Ace, put good wood and steel wegdes in it, sand it smooth, and finish it with boiled linseed oil. Might take me 1-2 months to finish between work and other things (I make zero promises on speediness). But I promise I won't disappoint and I will deliver (probably using USPS or UPS)!

All the same, all good if not, still just want to offer.

Allen

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
Update:
Replaced the tacoma wheels with chrome steelies. These wheels have been used by a few different trucks in the club so I will rock them proudly. Went white walls out on the STT/Pros to balance outer lug wear and chunking.
Message_1650590493778.jpg
the truck did not make it to Cruise Moab. We started having overheating issues test driving the truck. Fan clutch was failing and replaced.
20220422_211136.jpg
upon leaving for the trip, we experienced further overheating and power loss 30 miles from home. The truck was thought to have blown its head gasket and was parked at home. We took the taco to CM, wheeled it hard and it did great.

Post CM, drained the oil looking for contamination and ran a coolant test for the presence of exhaust particles but not performed in that order😉.
20220508_094338.jpg
20220508_094448.jpg
oil was free of coolant and no exhaust particles detected. Further investigation revealed secondary catalytic converter was clogged from debris caused by broken pieces from first cat. I replaced the exhaust manifold gasket and the secondary cat. I cleaned out the remaining debris floating around and welded in new studs for the upstream o2 sensor mount as they broke off during removal.
20220521_171123.jpg
this whole exchange tested the spacing of my rock rails supports. Worked perfectly, I had just enough room to pull the exhaust parts out individually. Currently, the truck runs fine with no overheating and what mighty power the 1fzfe has, restored.😒

Last edited:

allen.wrench

Rising Sun Member
At CM when you were telling me about your 80's power loss I was vaguely remembering my beater '99 S70 Volvo from college. Back then, for a few weeks it suffered (some) power loss (though it never had any to start with). And it had a strange hissing noise that would come & go especially at higher revs (2500+). I eventually find that the 🐈 had become clogged with a fat hairball (unburned fuel from frequent short trips to college/home) for whatever reason. But as you were telling me I didn't think it could be the same since my Volvo didn't have the overheating symptom.

My Volvo had an electric fan that would turn on/off based on the engine's temp sensor. If stopped at a red light for 20+sec, it'd turn on and it sounded and felt like a jet engine if I had the windows rolled down. And it'd very quickly cool down the engine!

Not quite the same symptoms or the same platform, but still. I should've remembered my Volvo and mentioned it. Lolz. There's a lot of lessons I learned and should do better to share.

I thought you had put an electric fan on your 80 in addition to the regular belt fed. If you haven't... You might consider scavenging a fan from a 90s Volvo sedan :D I'm totally willing to help out.

Allen

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
At CM when you were telling me about your 80's power loss I was vaguely remembering my beater '99 S70 Volvo from college. Back then, for a few weeks it suffered (some) power loss (though it never had any to start with). And it had a strange hissing noise that would come & go especially at higher revs (2500+). I eventually find that the 🐈 had become clogged with a fat hairball (unburned fuel from frequent short trips to college/home) for whatever reason. But as you were telling me I didn't think it could be the same since my Volvo didn't have the overheating symptom.

My Volvo had an electric fan that would turn on/off based on the engine's temp sensor. If stopped at a red light for 20+sec, it'd turn on and it sounded and felt like a jet engine if I had the windows rolled down. And it'd very quickly cool down the engine!

Not quite the same symptoms or the same platform, but still. I should've remembered my Volvo and mentioned it. Lolz. There's a lot of lessons I learned and should do better to share.

I thought you had put an electric fan on your 80 in addition to the regular belt fed. If you haven't... You might consider scavenging a fan from a 90s Volvo sedan :D I'm totally willing to help out.

Allen
I have a 12" pusher fan mounted in front of the transmission cooler (paranoia from years of replacing GM transmissions) to help out engine and trans. I used the fan when the overheating issue was occurring to help keep the temp from getting too high when we were just trying to make it back home.

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
More brackets...
Mounted an 10" pusher fan in front of the transmission cooler. View attachment 95710i made brackets that sister up to the factory cooler mounts on left and right sides. View attachment 95711the plastic grill had to be clearance a little bit but not too noticeableView attachment 95712i will wire up to a dash switch but i haven't got there yet.
Next up is the battery hold-down. I didn't like the design of the one the truck came with, so I made a modified design to better suit the red top. I wanted to add a underhood fuse block but space is limited on the driver side engine compartment. Safely suspended above the battery seemed like a good choice. View attachment 95713View attachment 95716View attachment 95714got the compressor mounted. I used a nice Slee bracket that installed easy and squeezed that ARB in a perfect spot. It too isn't wired yet View attachment 95717but soon...
And loading up for some suspension fun tomorrow😄
View attachment 95718
Where did you get the fan?? I need to do this when I get my transmission rebuilt

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
Where did you get the fan?? I need to do this when I get my transmission rebuilt
MOSTPLUS Black Universal Electric Radiator Slim Fan Push/Pull 12V + Mounting Kit (10 Inch) Amazon product
I had a nice flex-a-lite fan on a previous truck but for the cost this guy couldn't be beat. The brackets I fabbed were super simple too.

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
MOSTPLUS Black Universal Electric Radiator Slim Fan Push/Pull 12V + Mounting Kit (10 Inch) Amazon product
I had a nice flex-a-lite fan on a previous truck but for the cost this guy couldn't be beat. The brackets I fabbed were super simple too.

Right on. Did you wire it to a switch or some sort of thermostat??
Feel like fabbing up some more brackets for some dollars??

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
Right on. Did you wire it to a switch or some sort of thermostat??
Feel like fabbing up some more brackets for some dollars??
Straight to a switch without a tstat. although tstat w kill switch would be the better set up. Sure, I can probably crank out another set of brackets for ya:thumb:

3rdGen4R

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Straight to a switch without a tstat. although tstat w kill switch would be the better set up. Sure, I can probably crank out another set of brackets for ya:thumb:
so I’d you still have the drive shaft fan and that as well?

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
so I’d you still have the drive shaft fan and that as well?
Retains engine driven puller fan behind radiator and adds pusher fan in front of trans cooler. I only use the pusher at trail speeds to supplement air flow. I just invested in a scan gauge so I can keep more accurate notes than the stock engine temp gauge gives me.😄

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Retains engine driven puller fan behind radiator and adds pusher fan in front of trans cooler. I only use the pusher at trail speeds to supplement air flow. I just invested in a scan gauge so I can keep more accurate notes than the stock engine temp gauge gives me.😄
I’m pretty sure that’s what killed my trans. The low speed crawlin.
Plan is rebuild and add a shift kit and a fan too.