• TONIGHT! UPDATED LOCATION DUE TO RAIN FORECAST: MAY 2024 CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: The next RS meeting will be Wednesday, May 1, 2024 at 7:30 p.m. The meeting will be held indoors at the fabulous Golden Gate Canyon Grange. Click here for directions. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.

⦿ If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

DomOfTheDead's 1996 FZJ80 build

3rdGen4R

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
So what I did was just add anot her external color. Hot goes to that one first and than goes to the radiator, and it’s kept my temps down quite a bit. I did this because of towing, but using a external fan for crawling would be more beneficial. On your guys phone 80s are you able to monitor the trans temps through OBDII? Just curious.

KC Masterpiece

Hard Core 4+
So what I did was just add anot her external color. Hot goes to that one first and than goes to the radiator, and it’s kept my temps down quite a bit. I did this because of towing, but using a external fan for crawling would be more beneficial. On your guys phone 80s are you able to monitor the trans temps through OBDII? Just curious.

I've been trying to figure out how to monitor trans temp via obd2 with no luck. I think the sensor only has two readings. Okay or too hot.

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I need to find the setting/gauge for my scanner.

3rdGen4R

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I have it set up for the 4runner which is a 2002 and I have the exact read out.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Straight to a switch without a tstat. although tstat w kill switch would be the better set up. Sure, I can probably crank out another set of brackets for ya:thumb:
Hmm, could help my AC on the trail too, right?

HDavis

Hard Core 4+

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
I replaced the OE power steering cooler with a Wits End cooler.
20220804_164549.jpg
Cleaned and flushed out a good condition reservoir sourced from @Notyourmomslx450
20220804_164625.jpg
do all of the 450s have the golden reservoir? Is that a Lexus thing?
Also replaced all of the power steering hoses
20220804_164640.jpg
Wits End sway bar caps. Fancy! Bushings were in great shape so easy swap out.
20220804_194217.jpg
new sway end links and bushings. Why? Cheap and easy plus old ones were toast.
20220817_200118.jpg

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
Rotated the tires:
I wanted increased wet pavement traction from the Cooper STT PROs so I siped the lugs. I have siped and cut many other tires and brands so this was somewhat of an educated guess based on previous experience and observing race car tire mods. After siping, wet pavement performance was increased but caused lots of chunking. Interesting as I have had stiff compound bias ply do this but usually better wear characteristics with the radial muddys. Might be due to spacing of sipes vs size of lugs. Visible is also the heavy wear from the auto locker in the rear. I rotate the set Very often to combat excessive wear and try to avoid excessive wheel spin. This was the rear tire. Inboard side points up in pic
20220817_193935.jpg
front tire inboard side to the left in pic
20220817_194040.jpg

Last edited:

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
Variety of things over the last few months:

Added 1in coil spacers to my dobinson 1.75s. I liked the height but after one outing, the spacers and coils seated wonky and I yanked them out for OME 850s.
20220924_145439.jpg
I watched a Aussie YouTube vid about rebuilding the power steering reservoir and decided to try it. After disassembly, it was discovered that previous attempts to clean the filter without removal were inefficient and had actually damaged the screen from poking it with the red spray tube
20221113_144727.jpg

I could not find a replacement filter or gasket so a few cans of brake cleaner later and the filter looked respectable. Put some rtv on the old gasket and buttoned it up.
20221108_113710.jpg

Added a longer throw tcase shifter as I have had issues with it popping out of low range on the trail occasionally and thought that might help.
20221217_111940.jpg
still having issues with an unhappy sounding power steering pump so in went a new unit. I just heated up the drive gear and used a brass drift to knock it off the old one. Unfortunately, the high pressure line died when removing it so that was replaced again too. Here's the old one
20221218_103902.jpg
sweet jumping Jesus is bleeding the system a slow processo_O

Added a toy Yoda to my Toyota. I have had this guy since 96 and I hope he brings me wisdom in line choice, navigation and leadership.
20221218_104205.jpg

Raised the roller fairlead to match the opening in the bumper. The winch line had to cross a sharp edge and that needed to be fixed.Before and after pics
20220924_122709.jpg
20221218_104458.jpg

Tossed in some new OE tie rods as the 555s I put in were toast.
20221218_144853.jpg

Last edited:

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
Dom how long did you get out of the 555s? I put a set on a year ago and was hoping they would have a long life.
I installed the set of 555 tie rods when I was baselining the truck in spring of 21, roughly 5-7k ago. They had more play than I wanted and the truck had some mild death wobble at certain highway speeds so i made the call to replace them. The 2 on the drag link were ok so I left them alone for now. Slee had the Toyota ones in stock and a it's a 10 min drive for me to pick them up. In the past every truck I have wheeled hard ate tie rods often until I jumped up to 1 tons, those held up for much longer.

allen.wrench

Rising Sun Member
Idk if this makes sense, but I'm going to say it anyway: I love how stock the 80 and 100 series "look".

It's like they're just one with the terrain without having to be on 40"+ tires, lifted feet off the ground, a bazillion lights pointed everywhere, and/or angry headlights. While I understand & can agree all of those things are cool looking, they're not necessary and I feel they clash with being in actual nature.

Allen

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
Idk if this makes sense, but I'm going to say it anyway: I love how stock the 80 and 100 series "look".

It's like they're just one with the terrain without having to be on 40"+ tires, lifted feet off the ground, a bazillion lights pointed everywhere, and/or angry headlights. While I understand & can agree all of those things are cool looking, they're not necessary and I feel they clash with being in actual nature.

Allen
I agree and the trucks look great in this video (Jimmy's way more than mine). This was before the fender flares got ripped off on Wheeler lake and the rear locker went in to encourage me to take harder lines. But the paint was fading, lots of pin stripes and it had started to get some body damage so thus the Offroadacado was born.

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
ohh kelly flats looks fun, im gonna have to run it this summer!
I love that whole area. Kelly flats, seven mile, bald mountain and green ridge are all fun trails. On KF, heart attack hill was way more tore up than last time I ran it, the chute looked like someone had moved a lot of rock into it to fill holes and make it easier.