Confession?

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Working on getting the Ham radio and mobilinkd device wired up under the drivers seat. Pulled switched power for the mobilinkd from the security system. This way it’ll be on when the truck is on. I kept debating if I wanted an option to power it on when the truck was off but opted for the simple route.

3E40D8D1-CB5C-42C9-8E3F-3996094E6E56.jpeg

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Powering from a switched circuit makes sense. You will probably find a time you'll want to have APRS when the truck isn't running but you'll most likely be sitting there using it. Like trying to talk someone into camp maybe so turning the key to ACC isn't a big compromise compared to forgetting and letting it run the battery down. I put a physical switch on my APRS power circuit but that was a hasty solution and not well engineered...

rover67

Rising Sun Member
What I was thinking earlier was actually having it come on and off with the radio. so I was going to open the radio and find either 12v or 5v somewhere. Maybe I'll still do that I'm not sure.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Here's the .stl of the cubby insert in case anybody wants to print one. the holes are for 3/8-16 helicoil inserts.

Attachments

• cupholder_ram_ball_mount.stl
    178.1 KB · Views: 173

rover67

Rising Sun Member
So lesson to unhook batteries while working on yer rig: busting loose banjo bolt on fuel filter to fuel rail connection.... fuel is dripping as per usual.... drop 17mm wrench into starter. Luckily it didn’t hit the post the battery is hooked up to and spark.

Anyhow because I’m not to terribly into spending money I don’t have to and also because I’ve never had an injector come back from being cleaned professionally that was that different than before... I’m at it myself. We did the lemons car injectors like this. Ran them in the cleaner for a while then back flushed with some carb cleaner under pressure then looked at spray patterns. I didn’t even check my spray patterns before starting.

6C8E87E5-4FF4-45B4-B583-33C79C02B040.jpeg

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
My only hang up with the CB is spending 100 something bucks for a piece of junk.
That's exactly where I'm at with this. I would love to install the base unit for the Cobra 75 in each of my vehicles and just move the mic around depending on which vehicle I'm driving. But it's a lot of money for convenience and less clutter.

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
So lesson to unhook batteries while working on yer rig: busting loose banjo bolt on fuel filter to fuel rail connection.... fuel is dripping as per usual.... drop 17mm wrench into starter. Luckily it didn’t hit the post the battery is hooked up to and spark.

Anyhow because I’m not to terribly into spending money I don’t have to and also because I’ve never had an injector come back from being cleaned professionally that was that different than before... I’m at it myself. We did the lemons car injectors like this. Ran them in the cleaner for a while then back flushed with some carb cleaner under pressure then looked at spray patterns. I didn’t even check my spray patterns before starting.

View attachment 83526

ultrasonic cleaner?

rover67

Rising Sun Member
ultrasonic cleaner?
Yep, little baby cheapie. Mostly gets the outsides clean lol. Pulsing the injector while in there and blowing it out every 10 minutes usually cleans them ok though. I ran each injector for like an hour in there pulsing and reverse flushing/ forward flushing them every 10 minutes or so.

They all have good spray patterns now and probably did before I did anything :)

rover67

Rising Sun Member
And because I now own an FZJ80 and cruise ‘mud I have to do stuff like take apart new fan clutches to modify them. I mean you have to right?

2D0369B5-11B2-482B-87E9-F9B16FE36B62.jpeg
6508A8B9-AE6D-4649-A1A8-5B86BD7D96B4.jpeg

Last edited:

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
And because I now own an FZJ80 and cruise ‘mud I have to do stuff like take apart new fan clutches to modify them. I mean you have to right?
Allison must be so pleased...

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
that thing is going to be singin in no time Marco, dang!

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Together again and much harder to turn by hand. Yikes. Set the holes to half open at 95-100 degrees F and used 15,000 cSt diff fluid from Hobby town

D4A66B7F-F3DE-4939-A4F8-2B1553D36054.jpeg

subzali

Hard Core 4+
I was thinking more along the lines that doing a head gasket as pm is definitely a mud thing to do :)

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Well..... it kinda needed it I think. At least to make me feel good about driving it to middle of nowhere. I was putting like a gallon of oil in it every 3500 miles too. That was annoying.

Last edited:

subzali

Hard Core 4+
I wish there was a frowny face like option. Sorry to see that Marco, but I know you’ll sort it out!

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
You gonna get all the hardware plated? :bolt:

rover67

Rising Sun Member
I wish but This thing was supposed to be on some semblance of a budget... At least everything is super clean externally... Anyhow, I was hoping to just yank the head lap the valves and put it back together but it looks like several valves are pretty tight (bottom end of clearance if not under) and the exhaust valves look decently worn. The faces are pretty dished and the seats kinda pitted. I’m thinking I’ll have to spring for a regrind. I’m slightly bummed.

Now I’m spending money on a 1fz when the ultimate goal was an LS3. I told myself I’d run the stock motor as long as it lasted then entertain a swap and now I feel like I’m doing more work to keep it alive than I need to. Short term goal is significant desert time in the spring though and this gets me there and beyond..

If this motor lasts then maybe I’ll choose a different path who knows.

One thing is for sure this crap is eating into my budget for a lift and bumper though.

Maybe I should just lap them and reshim and forget about it. I dunno I’ll have to sleep on it.

3BED28A6-E240-4961-9DEE-2F2FC6C10832.jpeg
1932C86F-0304-4FEE-A75F-3CE7F5F52E64.jpeg
B871CD6E-AE6B-42DA-8112-B4163F8D39AE.jpeg