• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Chain Saws

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
An Echo 490 w/20" bar found its way to our house today. Fired it up and broke it in on a 16" oak log. Nice saw. Not as nice as the Stihls I got to use in Germany, but well worth what I paid. Stock chain will soon be replaced. Not happy with that at all.
This is the same saw that I have. It has done really well so far. I am going to look to get a 16" electric soon so that I can make a little less noise when limbing. I might also get a pole saw...seems like it would be helpful for the ponderosa pines that have all of the low limbs making it tough to get to the main trunk. Sometimes it is difficult to get to the base of the tree with a regular saw. Most of the trees on the east side of my property are all pondos.

FunkyYota

Rising Sun Member
This is the same saw that I have. It has done really well so far. I am going to look to get a 16" electric soon so that I can make a little less noise when limbing. I might also get a pole saw...seems like it would be helpful for the ponderosa pines that have all of the low limbs making it tough to get to the main trunk. Sometimes it is difficult to get to the base of the tree with a regular saw. Most of the trees on the east side of my property are all pondos.
I've got an older polesaw you can borrow or buy if you want. Feel free to pm whenever.

DanS

Rising Sun Member
... and that's why I will get an MS500i as soon as I can. 9000' makes these things much more important than at lower altitudes.

I've heard the 500i is a good saw, I'd be interested to see how it stacks up against a 461C-M.

FWIW, guess what showed up?
View attachment 93687

I might get some time to cut with it today. Not sure. But the little bit I ran it when I picked it up, it sure it a torque monster! Much more than the 660. A relative of mine is pretty high in the Stihl quality/reliability department. He said that for as long as they have been in service, they have not seen many issues with the MS500i. Nearly 2 years in the European market, and about 6 months in the US I think. I'm pretty stoked on it...

As an aside - does anyone know how they tune on the fly? do they have a knock sensor to figure out if they can advance timing/lean the mix or do they just monitor peak rpm to tune like you'd tune normally?
I'm not sure. But next time I talk to my relative I'll ask.

Dan

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
I keep asking myself if I should have got the 500i. Pretty sure the extra weight wouldn’t be worth the extra power for what I’m doing. Kind of like do I need 40’s on my 80 when 37’s will do all I ask.

I’m also interested I knowing how the new CM and i monitor for fuel and timing.

HoneyBadger

Rising Sun Member
I ordered a Husqvarna off Amazon. It doesn’t get any easier than that.

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
Bucked up three down trees on the property today. About a tank of fuel worth of time with the new 462CM. It’s a beast.

I need to go pick up some forest service tags and start harvesting for the year. But I have a good start with just the dead stuff from the yard. Still have some to move to the splitting pile.

AD98316F-FBEE-4190-B118-ED6B78C4A09F.jpeg

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
Cut a 1/2 cord of storm fall (all on he ground already) aspen today in the National Forest. 14” max. The 462 was a pure joy to run. Definitely thirsty compared to the 290 but cut so much faster. My only complaint would be the dogs are so small. I’d generally contact the housing of the saw before the factory dogs. So considering an upgrade.

Not sure which ones I want. Stihl has some larger available. Or aftermarket like these. https://westcoastsaw.com/collections/all

2E698951-E361-4B7F-9725-E950E773739D.jpeg

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
First full day running the 462. Only took 3 tanks to cut a cord. So while it’s bigger engine and tank I feel like overall I used less gas than working the old 290 hard. Bridger loaded 2/3 of the trailer solo so huge help there. 4 trees total in the trailer.

32408C01-2502-462C-A678-0D53974EAA69.jpeg

FunkyYota

Rising Sun Member
First full day running the 462. Only took 3 tanks to cut a cord. So while it’s bigger engine and tank I feel like overall I used less gas than working the old 290 hard. Bridger loaded 2/3 of the trailer solo so huge help there. 4 trees total in the trailer.

View attachment 98009
Awesome! That’s a heck of a saw.

I’ve been running my 261cm a bunch. So far I’ve bucked up two cord.

Today I had the 20” bar fully engaged. Even though 90% of the time it’s got plenty of power, it made me think “maybe a bigger saw would be nice.”

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
I ran my saw all weekend as well. At least until my forearms couldn’t take any more! I’m having saw envy as well! It’s gonna take a few days for my arms and back to recover.

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
How much heavier is your new saw?

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
How much heavier is your new saw?
Power heads
MS462cm - 13.2 lbs
MS290 - 13.0 lbs

I'm running a light 25" bar on the 462 verse a standard 20" on the 290. 462 hold 5oz more fuel when full. I bet I couldn't tell the two apart holding them blindfolded.

SteveH

Hard Core 4+
I have a 20 year old Husqvarna 55 Rancher that has been super-reliable and satisfying, but has gotten weird on me lately - loses power erratically while sawing, cold or hot. I'm not sure I want to install a new carb. for $90 (OEM). What I like about my Husq. is that the air filter literally never gets dirty, the chain oiler works well, it never vapor locks, and it reliably starts every time (on the 5th pull). Extremely predictable every time you use it. It has never failed until now. I have no sense of how much power it may have lost over the years.

I see horrid reviews on new Husq. stuff sold at Lowes (lots of chain wear issues, oiler issues, pull-cord problems), so I called my Stihl dealer. The MS-291 is $459 and the 311 is $520. The dealer said the 291 is still a professional grade saw (as opposed to the lower end stuff sold at chain stores). The current 450 Rancher (with bad reviews) is $430 at Lowes. A 455 Rancher is $500 at Big R., and seems to have great reviews.

Thoughts? I have other Stihl equipment and flog it mercilessly and it holds up. Should I just put a carb on my old saw, or treat myself to a new saw?

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
I have a 20 year old Husqvarna 55 Rancher that has been super-reliable and satisfying, but has gotten weird on me lately - loses power erratically while sawing, cold or hot. I'm not sure I want to install a new carb. for $90 (OEM). What I like about my Husq. is that the air filter literally never gets dirty, the chain oiler works well, it never vapor locks, and it reliably starts every time (on the 5th pull). Extremely predictable every time you use it. It has never failed until now. I have no sense of how much power it may have lost over the years.

I see horrid reviews on new Husq. stuff sold at Lowes (lots of chain wear issues, oiler issues, pull-cord problems), so I called my Stihl dealer. The MS-291 is $459 and the 311 is $520. The dealer said the 291 is still a professional grade saw (as opposed to the lower end stuff sold at chain stores). The current 450 Rancher (with bad reviews) is $430 at Lowes. A 455 Rancher is $500 at Big R., and seems to have great reviews.

Thoughts? I have other Stihl equipment and flog it mercilessly and it holds up. Should I just put a carb on my old saw, or treat myself to a new saw?
If you’re certain a new carb solves the old saw issues I’d do that if you like it. But an inspection of the cylinder wall would be prudent prior as well as other general wear items.

If new I’d go Stihl or Echo. Husqvarna has chosen to move away from the full service type dealers to the box stores so service will become non existent. My local ag equipment supplier completely dropped them as a result and picked up Echo to complement Stihl. All 4 of my Stihls have worked flawlessly

FunkyYota

Rising Sun Member

Not sure if I’d call the 291 a pro grade saw. Probably a good saw, but I’m not sure how serviceable it is or what the materials difference is. My understanding is they save a little money there. I do know the power to weight ratio isn’t quite where the pro saws are.

I’ve got an echo cs590 I’m constantly having issues with. Id advise against getting one. Good while new but once they’re probably a throw away saw once they start failing. I’d assume most saws sold at the box stores are ok while they’re new but are in general going into the junk bucket once they’re not working well. I keep fiddling with mine but if I wouldn’t want to solely rely on it.

The husky pro saws are awesome. I was split between a husky 550xp and stihl 261cm. Only reason I chose the stihl was local dealer had one. Big R.

After getting a pro grade saw I don’t think I’d buy anything else. Worth the extra IMO.

edit:
I’d try to rebuild the carb. Kits are like 15 bucks and 9/10 small carbs I’ve had issues with had a bad diaphragm

Last edited: