Bring-A-Trailer Bring a Trailer highlight thread

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
This one was my former FZJ80.
What's the middle part between the supercharger and the intake? I've never seen that before.

SC-BAT.jpg

Telly

Rising Sun Member
Water cooled intercooler. There is a small radiator (tranny cooler type) installed in front of the radiator. Worked well.

Edit: I guess David used to own this one too.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
It's an intercooler.
Please excuse my ignorance, but the purpose is to cool down the compressed air coming from the supercharger before it reaches the intake?

BlueSteel

Lifted
I think it's because air heats up as it’s compressed and I think it can bring “more air” into the combustion process if it’s cooler.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Please excuse my ignorance, but the purpose is to cool down the compressed air coming from the supercharger before it reaches the intake?
It's science! Recall PV=nRT, the ideal gas law.

If volume is held constant as the temperature of gas rises the pressure increases. This is an inescapable phenomenon of a compressor, which is what are superchargers or turbochargers.

But the other part of the ideal gas law is that volume must change proportional to pressure and temperature. So warmer air is less dense, meaning fewer oxygen molecules per unit of volume. Compressing the air doesn't help you much if it the lower density just forces you to adjust the fuel ratio down. Cooler air is more dense.

An intercooler removes heat so the gas can be simultaneously at higher pressure and constant or even higher density. With a turbo they are basically critical due to all the heat you add to the process using exhaust gas.

A supercharger is driven differently so the housing itself can cool the air, which is why you don't see intercoolers on mild TRD installations. Adding one allows you to use even higher boost. Since the incremental increase in power taken off the crank to drive the compressor and maybe a small water pump is offset considerably with more, essentially free, power.

Last edited:

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
<snip>
But the other part of the ideal gas law is that volume increases proportional to pressure and inversely with temperature. So warmer air is less dense, meaning fewer oxygen molecules per unit of volume. So just compressing the air doesn't help you much if it the lower density just forces you to adjust the fuel ratio down.
</snip>

Would it be better to cool the air before compressing it? I'm thinking yes, cooling the air makes it more dense (good), but also reduces the compression of the air (bad).

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Would it be better to cool the air before compressing it? I'm thinking yes, cooling the air makes it more dense (good), but also reduces the compression of the air (bad).
Cooler is better no matter how you do it but it's more efficient and easier to keep the process (e.g. air-fuel) in control to cool it after compression.

ccslider

Hard Core 4+
That won't help much because the supercharger is positive displacement. Whatever goes in, comes out. You want it cooled after it's compressed because it's more dense with oxygen.

A turbo or centrifugal supercharger will be a dynamic displacement and will benefit from the colder inlet temperatures.

Riverrunner

Wincher

Many of you may know of Eric at Ed Martin Toyota. He mostly specializes in 200 series, but has a love for ALL Cruisers. This is his personal 62 Series for sale on BAT.

ScaldedDog

Hard Core 4+
Wow! I want this thing, bad. Not $30K bad, but bad. I am still kicking myself for not jumping on the mint manual supercharged one that went for $10K a couple of years ago.

Mark

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Clemson Cruiser is selling a really cool Sulphur FJ40. V8 unfortunately, but one of the coolest 40 colors and nice patina. Will be interesting to see what it goes for.

Sold: 45K

Last edited:

rckhound

Rising Sun Member
Clemson Cruiser is selling a really cool Sulphur FJ40. V8 unfortunately, but one of the coolest 40 colors and nice patina. Will be interesting to see what it goes for.

Man that looks good.

subzali

Hard Core 4+

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Wow, this one is ending soon, the bidding is out of hand! :oops:

Final price 46.5k

Last edited:

acolefj

Wincher
46K plus for an original FJ40 is amazing...