• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

Black Dragon/Goblin Valley.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Is a SAS truck going to be stronger, ride better, and out perform an IFS of similar build? Yes, every time.
In rocks, yup. But it's kinda nice not floating all over on washboards. There's a reason Baja trucks use IFS and WRC cars have fully indy suspension. At non-crawl speeds IFS does pretty good, even off pavement.
Apologies for the digression.
It's your thread, we should apologize to you!

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
I guess thats why we have so much apathy towards letter writing to keep trails open as web wheelers really only need a keyboard and an audience!

Very true. I'm sure Bill has seen this more than anyone. I'm grateful to have such a dedicated person as our Land Use Coordinator. I've written more letters as a member of this club than in all my years before, and I felt like I used to write a lot.

Anyway.

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
I've been told my truck wasn't up to fairly moderate trails like Kane Creek, despite the fact that it has 3/16" plate covering the front, the front diff, and 3/8" covering the belly. 2 lockers and 2 transfercases. Go figure right? I laugh it off, and nod. Most have to see it to believe. There is just so much internet garbage floating around, and people get caught up in it.

Please....:rolleyes: I made it through Kane Creek in my truck with relative ease, and I've seen your truck go several places where mine could not.

With open diffs, the gap between SAS and IFS is fairly large, but with one or two lockers it closes rapidly.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
IFS is perfectly capable of taking you to 90% of the expedition destinations you seek.

If you don't mind how it makes the front end feel! :lmao:

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
This is where we go for the Outlaws Run. Perry, I and others have explored this area a lot and Black Dragin Wash is definitely a great one. Hopefully this will whet the appetite of more club members to go this October.

bh4rnnr

Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant
In rocks, yup. But it's kinda nice not floating all over on washboards. There's a reason Baja trucks use IFS and WRC cars have fully indy suspension. At non-crawl speeds IFS does pretty good, even off pavement.

It's your thread, we should apologize to you!

I'm hard to believe this, as seeing what a well sprung axled front 80 can do over a long dirt road, Hint: Utah Cruiser Expedition. Like anything, a well equiped rig will do well. It all comes down to personal pref, and as Dave has stated, what you enjoy doing.

As for the pics, thanks for sharing. Looks like you guys went directly south from Black Dragon? We just traveld that road end of Feb, all the way to Goblin. Good fun road. Did you stop at the Three Fingers Pictograph panel? Very remot back in there.

And theres nothing like an open dirt road to quinch your taste buds. SAS or not:beer::beer:

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
well sprung
...and damped

Those are always the key. Well, wheelbase, suspension travel and weight don't hurt either. Same reason that a 1969 Cadillac rides way smoother than a 1972 Pinto, despite both being solid rear/IFS.

OK, now I'm done, what a long day. Where's that beer?

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
My dad's 1969 Caddy rode smoother than anything by the time he used it to haul hay out to the fields. And I can assure you it had no remaining damping whatsoever. None.

Very entertaining ride.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Very entertaining ride.
Papa Chili:
lowrider-279.jpg

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
BAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

That is awesome. Holy cow. I'm pretty sure thats bill in the yellow shirt and jeans. He just wears a toupe for us. Notice the red paint.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
BAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

That is awesome. Holy cow. I'm pretty sure thats bill in the yellow shirt and jeans. He just wears a toupe for us. Notice the red paint.

Yup...Squishy is right behind him in the blue shirt. I'm wondering if thats Mrs. Chili looking at the in-famous "Squeek-o-Meter?" :lmao:

Very nice pics and great write up! I have been to Goblin Valley before for a brief stop. Never heard of Black Dragon. Will have to look into it as we are planning out a trip for October into Utah and wanted to stop at Goblin Valley.

I like the build. That is where my 4Runner will basically be except I am sticking with petrol. Diesel is just too much $ for my blood (only put 1,500 miles or so on the 4Runner last year). I can usually get 20-22mpg still with the roof rack. Question-what locker do you run up front? I had a lockright and felt like is was a POS. Still looking into another option for down the road. Honestly the rear e-locker does more than enough for now.

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
Very nice pics and great write up! I have been to Goblin Valley before for a brief stop. Never heard of Black Dragon. Will have to look into it as we are planning out a trip for October into Utah and wanted to stop at Goblin Valley.

I like the build. That is where my 4Runner will basically be except I am sticking with petrol. Diesel is just too much $ for my blood (only put 1,500 miles or so on the 4Runner last year). I can usually get 20-22mpg still with the roof rack. Question-what locker do you run up front? I had a lockright and felt like is was a POS. Still looking into another option for down the road. Honestly the rear e-locker does more than enough for now.

Diesel is too rich for my blood too.

I run ARB's front and rear. I would buy them 1000000 times over.

I'm sorry you had a lockright. Before I bought my lockers, I drove a spool, a lockright, and a detroit on the street. I couldn't stand ANY of them. But the lockright was sweet. Thought it was fine popping and grinding away around a turn, then it locked up, and my heart almost stopped. I thought the truck was going to pitch onto its lid right then and there.

I thanked the guy, shakily walked back to my truck, and drove away.

2 months later I found a SWEET deal on another forum for a front ARB, and a mini compressor. I was totally sold.

For some reason I thought you said you were running a diesel. I haven't ever gotten 25mpg out of my 22r or 22re, even empty with a light foot. Of course mine have 220k+ and haven't been opened for any reason.

I went with a Toyota e-locker for the rear. The only reason I went with the Lockright was at the time there was no ARB available. It was about the only locker available for a 7.5. I would go for another locker in the front in the future, but it definately has to be selectable! Honestly the single rear locker does enough that I really don't need a front locker. It would just reduce the need for the skinny pedal as much in certain situations and wear/tear on the rig.

So now that we have seen pics of Black Dragon, we are gonna try to fit it into our trip in the Fall. Thanks for the great writeup and pics!