• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

Black Dragon/Goblin Valley.

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
Went with my family out to UT for a few days.

Weather was beautiful, 50's on Sat and sun, but completely clear, 70's on Mon and Tues.

I managed pretty well on my gimpy leg. Well enough I suppose. I got about 6 miles total hiking in with a knee brace and one crutch.

Stats for the trip:

105 miles of unpaved, dirty goodness.

Lots of rubber left on the rocks, and several 60mph baja moments. Made me long for long travel.

Anyway, onto the good stuff.

Me and youngest bro:

IMG_2757.jpg

First up was Black Dragon Canyon. This canyon starts out pretty mildly, up to the sweet pictographs.

IMG_2759.jpg

IMG_2765.jpg

But quickly gets rougher.

IMG_2768.jpg

Not too many pics as we were losing light, and had to get up to set up camp.

Campspot hunting:

IMG_2769.jpg

The next day was a pretty slow drive up to jackass benches. This is where the crawler shined. I was able to get back my stock low range, which was perfect for this road.

Anyway, the benches were appropriately named:

IMG_2777.jpg

Those are wild donkeys sitting next to the road. We saw a whole herd of them, but the picture didn't come out, as they were far away.

Views from the hike out to Swaesy's leap:

IMG_2790.jpg

IMG_2820.jpg

The next day, we packed up, and headed out for Goblin valley via the back roads.

First was exiting Black Dragon the way we came in:

IMG_2833.jpg

Crawler in action. If you listen, you can tell that the engine is running at 2500 rpm's. Yeah. Slow.

Next up was some high 4, baja style running.

IMG_2836.jpg

Getting into the goblin valley area.

Red dirt:

IMG_2849.jpg

Beautiful country:

IMG_2855.jpg

Hiking down into Chute Canyon:

IMG_2864.jpg

Gimp:

IMG_2865.jpg

Weird tree

IMG_2858.jpg

More of the canyon:

IMG_2873.jpg

IMG_2878.jpg

Gimp stopping point. Not going down that with the bum knee.

IMG_2879.jpg

Baja to Rock Crawl. I love it. Unfortunately, no shots from the other cameras, as my family stayed out there, I came back because I had to get back to work. So, I don't have their pics yet.

Anyway, two lockers and 206:1 can be fun, but also bad.

IMG_2890.jpg

IMG_2891.jpg

IMG_2892.jpg

Made it, but left behind plenty of rubber and paint. Thank goodness I got those babies retubed:

IMG_2893.jpg

More fun fast driving

Just a great view I had to stop and look at:

IMG_2888.jpg

End of the trip:

IMG_2894.jpg

And, the best reason for having a 4 cyl truck. I filled up in green river utah. I drove 330 miles, back to golden. No stops. That is corrected using the 3% difference in gears and tire sizes that I have.

Here is my gas guage, which works perfectly:

IMG_2897.jpg

25 miles per gallon. I love it.

It was a blast, truck drove great. I'm tired, dirty, and happy. Good trip.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Wow, I never got 25mpg in the Chili even with a 4-popper.

Must be the slick aerodynamic design. :lmao:

GREAT trip report!

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Cool trip. Thanks for sharing the photos.

Pretty cool around there, eh? I haven't driven up there, but did ride the bike up through Black Dragon Wash. BTW, those pictographs at the start of the trail were done by the Fremont Indians. Goblin Valley is so weird, too.

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
Thanks.

Dave, awesome to know about the pictographs. That was one thing we couldn't figure out. Shame they are not protected. One of them had a few bullet holes in it. Made me sad.

Goblin valley was a little crowded. We were far enough back to only see one group of hikers, but it took a while to get in there.

Bill,

The key is 55-65 the whole way. Thing just sips the gas.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
I tried.
I guess a SAS and 35x12.50s with a lift and roof rack sucked it down.
I get 17mpg if I keep a light foot these days. Sans roof rack.

Regards protecting the pictographs, I agree to a point - though in the NP, we had a ranger drive up to us Baja style and jump out of the truck to make sure we had not approached an overhang that had pictographs. We had, and we did not tell her we had, and there was no signage saying you shouldn't, and we did not touch anything, just look - but her solution to protecting it was to make sure no one ever saw it.

That dog don't hunt.

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
Great pics looks like a blast.

25 MPG in my dreams, I am like Chili around 16-18 MPG. In a BN 4Runner I never got 25 mpg but then again I never tried.

Keep using the knee if that is what is wrong. Push it till it starts to hurt nearly and then ice and rest. Best advice I ever gave myself ;-)

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
Nice way to break in your new crawler. Great pics!

Oh yea - nice asses too!

corsair23

Hard Core 4+

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
Funny part is, pulling into the gas station, I was almost laughing out loud while thinking about taking that picture, thinking how funny it would be to put it up for the cruiser guys.

Good times.

wesintl

RS Moderator
how funny it would be to put it up for the cruiser guys.

I dunno what you're talking about :guapo: My range is 500+ miles with a 23gal tank :D

Nice Pics! While I like moab.. I love the surrounding areas more.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Funny part is, pulling into the gas station, I was almost laughing out loud while thinking about taking that picture, thinking how funny it would be to put it up for the cruiser guys.

Good times.

Just think of how great of mileage you would have got if the brake wasn't on! :eek: :p: :lmao::lmao:

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
I dunno what you're talking about :guapo: My range is 500+ miles with a 23gal tank :D

Nice Pics! While I like moab.. I love the surrounding areas more.

True. You definitely have us all beat with the diesel. I looked at a conversion for my truck, as the 2L-T is a direct bolt in, but its so expensive, and so is diesel fuel, i figured I could hold on to gasoline for a while longer.

I think what I love most about a trip like this is that it's exactly why I have a modified 4wd. Don't get me wrong, I love driving on trails, and being able to say, "I did such and such". For me, the real thrill of wheeling is doing this. Showing up to a road with nothing more than a map, and a good attitude, and having no idea what to expect.

Black Dragon easily could have been a 4 out of 5 if you took the hard lines, but as you can see, we had 2 bone stock trucks up there.

I love that sense of adventure when exploring areas you don't know anything about.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I think what I love most about a trip like this is that it's exactly why I have a modified 4wd.
Dude, you have seen the faint flicker of what the plan for my truck has always been. I may be (OK, am) still clinically certifiable, but at least more people are starting to understand my reasoning for building it the way it's been. That is to say like a dull ol' boring traveling mule and not a dedicated rock truck.

The point is to go here:
page3_8.jpg

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
Your truck has a big topper, which would be a real damage worrier for me, as I don't like to damage stuff, but other than that, it could play in the rocks probably a lot more than you'd imagine.

As I'm sure you're beginning to notice, mini-truck IFS is a lot more capable than most give it credit for.

I've been told my truck wasn't up to fairly moderate trails like Kane Creek, despite the fact that it has 3/16" plate covering the front, the front diff, and 3/8" covering the belly. 2 lockers and 2 transfercases. Go figure right? I laugh it off, and nod. Most have to see it to believe. There is just so much internet garbage floating around, and people get caught up in it.

You aren't crazy, you are one of the few sane ones. Crazy is thinking you need to cut off the entire front end, and hang an axle just to go in the dirt.

There are a great many who really do need to hang the axle. They have a need for very strong parts, and big tires. You simply cannot get that without a SAS. But for 95% of the trails you can get a truck up without body damage, IFS does just fine.

Anyway, I'll get off my soapbox now.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
You aren't crazy, you are one of the few sane ones. Crazy is thinking you need to cut off the entire front end, and hang an axle just to go in the dirt.

There are a great many who really do need to hang the axle.
It isn't a matter of need. I've been to Jamaica, they have needs.

Nevertheless you can do almost all the wheeling with an IFS (modified, and beefed) that you can do with a SAS.

It just depends on how you want to do it.

So it has been said you couldn't do Kane Creek? Sheesh...:blah:

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
It has been said. I wasn't trying to whine about it, but simply point out that the views of IFS are very ignorant, because of internet hoopla.

Is a SAS truck going to be stronger, ride better, and out perform an IFS of similar build? Yes, every time.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. Apologies for the digression.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
It has been said. I wasn't trying to whine about it, but simply point out that the views of IFS are very ignorant, because of internet hoopla.

Is a SAS truck going to be stronger, ride better, and out perform an IFS of similar build? Yes, every time.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. Apologies for the digression.

I guess thats why we have so much apathy towards letter writing to keep trails open as web wheelers really only need a keyboard and an audience!