Black Bear - outlaw running while closed

Squishy!

Rising Sun Member
Looking at their FB page they seem to be proud of the coverage. Even changed the profile pic to match. I’d say “ass clowns” has been earned twofold.

View attachment 119252
I want to see the comments on their post. I hope they got roasted. I hate that level of arrogance.

AimCOTaco

Cruise Moab Committee
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I can see the comments there and I ain't a member of that TX group.

Also, fascinating page on the origins of assclown (... Michael Bolton :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: ) I think it's appropriate for the sheriff's use here.

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
tried it on my phone (where i am logged into the book of face) and i can view them now. maybe you have to have a fb account. i don't think its blocked by work, because i do get the header and login and join buttons

HoneyBadger

Rising Sun Member
They are getting a lot of negative comments. But they seem to just be soaking it all up as great fun/publicity.

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
They are getting a lot of negative comments. But they seem to just be soaking it all up as great fun/publicity.
more proof of what entitled douchebags they are. so embarrassing that they are in toyotas

KC Masterpiece

Hard Core 4+
In the photo the guy is pointing toward the recovery rigging. I wish I could see his face...

It has to be either "I did that!" Or "WTF did you idiots do?"

Am I crazy or does it look like the 4 runner could just drive right out of that spot?

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Have to be a member of their group to view
All visible now. Guess they like the attention. Honestly, its not that interesting.

1692310767160.png

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
This was posted to facebook. The comments on the photo are alarming. Our hobby attracts a lot of idiots.

BB-pass-closed.jpg

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
From what I can gather:
  • Black Bear Pass has been closed all summer because of unusually heavy snow (our unusually mild summer causing the snow to melt slower is probably also a factor)
  • Four days ago, some Jeepers dug out the remaining snow bank that was the final barrier to allow people to run the trail.
  • While the San Juan website tells you Black Bear Pass is closed, the gate has been open for some time.
  • Four days ago, experienced four wheelers ran BBP successfully with no incident. So did some people on dirt bikes. These people stayed on the trail as we do.
  • The next day (three days ago), a group from Texas ran the trail. The guy in the red 4Runner dropped a tire off the trail. It would have been an easy recovery had he not been in the lead spot. That's when things got ugly — Telluride Towing and San Juan sheriff department got involved. The Sheriff posted on social media describing the group as "ass clowns."
  • People react with the usual strong opinions from all sides. Everything from "Telluride wants BBP permanently closed" to "how hard is it to determine the trail is closed?" to "Muh rights as an American..."
  • My guess is that the trail will get officially opened soon. That won't keep inexperienced people from driving it poorly, but the optics will be slightly better since the trail won't be officially closed.

Here's a photo where you can see that the trail has been cleared of snow, which means you can now drive the trail while staying on the trail. That's a good thing no matter what.

Screenshot 2023-08-17 at 5.06.25 PM.png

Here's a screenshot of one group that ran the trail without incident 4 days ago. These people look to be experienced wheelers. There is no indication from them that there is additional maintenance that needs to be performed on the trail to safely open it.

Screenshot 2023-08-17 at 5.06.05 PM.png

Screenshot of a small bit of discussion:

Screenshot 2023-08-17 at 4.56.17 PM.png

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
IMG_0034.JPG

My only question is: what does "Be a duck" mean?

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
From what I can gather:
  • Black Bear Pass has been closed all summer because of unusually heavy snow (our unusually mild summer causing the snow to melt slower is probably also a factor)
  • Four days ago, some Jeepers dug out the remaining snow bank that was the final barrier to allow people to run the trail.
  • While the San Juan website tells you Black Bear Pass is closed, the gate has been open for some time.
  • Four days ago, experienced four wheelers ran BBP successfully with no incident. So did some people on dirt bikes. These people stayed on the trail as we do.
  • The next day (three days ago), a group from Texas ran the trail. The guy in the red 4Runner dropped a tire off the trail. It would have been an easy recovery had he not been in the lead spot. That's when things got ugly — Telluride Towing and San Juan sheriff department got involved. The Sheriff posted on social media describing the group as "ass clowns."
  • People react with the usual strong opinions from all sides. Everything from "Telluride wants BBP permanently closed" to "how hard is it to determine the trail is closed?" to "Muh rights as an American..."
  • My guess is that the trail will get officially opened soon. That won't keep inexperienced people from driving it poorly, but the optics will be slightly better since the trail won't be officially closed.
a week or so before the texans some "jeeps" did run thru the tundra according to the a friend from coa4wdci. not sure how he knows but he posted pictures on my fb page.