Advice for rifle choice

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
.308 has a great trajectory! My .460 SW actually has near the same trajectory as a .308 with the downrange energy of on 06! Unfortunately, The cost of ammo, especially non NATO rounds, has made the cost per shot over $3 per round! In short, .308 is a fantastic all around non magnum round! Basically a short 30-06. 300 WM is a 30-06 on steroids!

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
That's sounding like it fits the bill. :thumb: Thanks for all the info guys.

I just submitted my license application this morning for deer and elk, so I'm looking forward to the season. the Unit I want to hunt is not an Over The Counter Unit, so I hope to get lucky in the draw.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
That's sounding like it fits the bill. :thumb: Thanks for all the info guys.

I just submitted my license application this morning for deer and elk, so I'm looking forward to the season. the Unit I want to hunt is not an Over The Counter Unit, so I hope to get lucky in the draw.

What unit? Go to Co DOW and find out how many preference points it really takes to be in the raffle drawing. Here is a direct link....http://wildlife.state.co.us/Hunting/BigGame/Statistics/Pages/Statistics.aspx

MDH33

Hard Core 4+

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Unit 39, where I will be working this summer. I did as much research as was available and it looked like 0 preference points were required, but increased the odds.

Thats a good area but lots of red necks. :rolleyes: You need to chat with Yoder and/or myself as we both have hunted that area. Snow gets real up there! :thumb:

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Thats a good area but lots of red necks. :rolleyes: You need to chat with Yoder and/or myself as we both have hunted that area. Snow gets real up there! :thumb:

Yeah, it's a pretty busy place, but I figure I get to scout it all summer, so hopefully I'll find a good out of the way spot to avoid the crowds. I'll be backpacking in more than a few miles too, so that should eliminate some of the pressure too I hope. Would love to pick your brains some more.

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, it's a pretty busy place, but I figure I get to scout it all summer, so hopefully I'll find a good out of the way spot to avoid the crowds. I'll be backpacking in more than a few miles too, so that should eliminate some of the pressure too I hope. Would love to pick your brains some more.

Just remember the farther your go in the farther you have to pack an animal out. Without a horse its a big job. Three of us plus Porter got my cow out in one trip two years ago. But it sucked even though it was probably only 1.5 miles.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Funny you should bring that up. Concern about mountain lions snacking on mini horses had me worried and trying to think up countermeasures. Then I happened on why you often see donkeys grazing with horses...

They have been known to kill mountain lions. No joke. And gelded jacks are not hard to live with.

Then thinks I, gee, another possible use for a donkey... one could get way back in there, bring along some comforts, and have a fairly easy way to get the carcass out.

Yeah, yeah... I can hear it now. "What's that in the woods??"

"Some jackass.

and his donkey..."

wesintl

RS Moderator
lol. yer too funny Bill

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
Funny you should bring that up. Concern about mountain lions snacking on mini horses had me worried and trying to think up countermeasures. Then I happened on why you often see donkeys grazing with horses...

They have been known to kill mountain lions. No joke. And gelded jacks are not hard to live with.

Then thinks I, gee, another possible use for a donkey... one could get way back in there, bring along some comforts, and have a fairly easy way to get the carcass out.

Yeah, yeah... I can hear it now. "What's that in the woods??"

"Some jackass.

and his donkey..."

:lmao::lmao:

Oh MAN! Bill, that is a classic right there.

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
Fear of a big cat sneaking up is part of the reason I brought Porter out two years ago to help pack out. He had a better set of eyes, ears, and a nose to keep a look out while we quartered it. Then he carried 30lbs of meat in his pack. Only bad part is he did not want to leave the carcass. He had that look of "I'd be just fine here for a few days dad".

A mule/jackass/donkey could do much more. I just don't want to deal with large livestock year round for a week worth of luxury.

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
Fear of a big cat sneaking up is part of the reason I brought Porter out two years ago to help pack out. He had a better set of eyes, ears, and a nose to keep a look out while we quartered it. Then he carried 30lbs of meat in his pack. Only bad part is he did not want to leave the carcass. He had that look of "I'd be just fine here for a few days dad".

A mule/jackass/donkey could do much more. I just don't want to deal with large livestock year round for a week worth of luxury.

Yeah, we've considered Llamas for the same purpose, but have never gotten them due to that reason: the rest of the year, you have a royal PITA to deal with.

In Bill's case, he has horses already, so the donkey isn't that much more work, and, like he said, the donkey can act as a protector for his mini-horsies during the rest of the year. Win Win for Bill.

I do hear ya on the cats. The last two years we've seen big cat tracks on the ground when packing out. For the first trip out, we just keep the rifles loaded, but on subsequent trips, we go to chest holsters and revolvers to keep the weight down.

Longest I've ever packed an elk: 4 miles. I really didn't like that by the second trip.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Yeah, we've considered Llamas for the same purpose, but have never gotten them due to that reason: the rest of the year, you have a royal PITA to deal with.

In Bill's case, he has horses already, so the donkey isn't that much more work, and, like he said, the donkey can act as a protector for his mini-horsies during the rest of the year. Win Win for Bill.

I do hear ya on the cats. The last two years we've seen big cat tracks on the ground when packing out. For the first trip out, we just keep the rifles loaded, but on subsequent trips, we go to chest holsters and revolvers to keep the weight down.

Longest I've ever packed an elk: 4 miles. I really didn't like that by the second trip.
We debone and pack out meat mostly. Elk is common to take 4 trips per critter.

Last edited:

wesintl

RS Moderator
donkeys, llama's, guns... you just need a mask to scare a man eating tiger...
sunderbans_mask_20090330.jpg

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
Drew, have you used the .308 on Elk? I've been considering a .308 but it doesn't seem like it's as popular as some of the other suggested. Also worried about being able to find ammo for it. Actually saw an older Winchester 88 .308 recently that looked old school cool and the price was right.

So far my elk adventures have been wonderful hikes while holding a rifle :thumb: That said, at the distances the .308 looses steam, I'm no longer comfortable taking the shot.

For me NATO calibers are what I'm sticking to as they're typically the easiest to source from regular places.

It's a fine caliber as bill noted it shoots slightly flatter than the .06 and doesn't have as much recoil. Any lost energy down range is minimal and most people can't effectively shoot past 300 yards anyway.

Yeah, I'm comfortable at 300 yards, but I think most shots will be closer or a LOT farther, like across a ravine or canyon. Shooting well at long distances obviously increases your odds of filling the freezer.

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
So far my elk adventures have been wonderful hikes while holding a rifle :thumb: That said, at the distances the .308 looses steam, I'm no longer comfortable taking the shot.

For me NATO calibers are what I'm sticking to as they're typically the easiest to source from regular places.

Yeah, I'm comfortable at 300 yards, but I think most shots will be closer or a LOT farther, like across a ravine or canyon. Shooting well at long distances obviously increases your odds of filling the freezer.

300 yards! That is outstanding Drew! You are one steady dude.

I can barely hold steady enough for 100 yard shots, and that is at a range. With adrenaline pumping, and out of breath from hiking a ridge at 11,000 feet, I completely missed at 50-60 yards this past season, though, to assuage my ego, it was a moving shot.

I've made a 100 yard shot (longest I've ever even seen an elk out hunting), but that was leaning the rifle against a tree. Free standing would have been another miss.

Needless to say, I'm impressed, you are a much better shot than anyone I've met before :bowdown::bowdown:

Do you have a good local place to practice? After last season, I decided I need to be getting out more, as my accuracy has gotten a lot worse since high school when I actually knew how to shoot.

I'd love to find a really private place to go up in the forest, to avoid exhorbitant range fees, and avoid other people all together, but I imagine that is a pipe dream in this day and age.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
300 yards! That is outstanding Drew! You are one steady dude.

I can barely hold steady enough for 100 yard shots, and that is at a range. With adrenaline pumping, and out of breath from hiking a ridge at 11,000 feet, I completely missed at 50-60 yards this past season, though, to assuage my ego, it was a moving shot.

I've made a 100 yard shot (longest I've ever even seen an elk out hunting), but that was leaning the rifle against a tree. Free standing would have been another miss.

Needless to say, I'm impressed, you are a much better shot than anyone I've met before :bowdown::bowdown:

Do you have a good local place to practice? After last season, I decided I need to be getting out more, as my accuracy has gotten a lot worse since high school when I actually knew how to shoot.

I'd love to find a really private place to go up in the forest, to avoid exhorbitant range fees, and avoid other people all together, but I imagine that is a pipe dream in this day and age.

300 is not that uncommon is it? Last years trophy hunt non trophy buck I popped was 382 yards. Distance you will end up taking the shot is very dependant on the area you are hunting. Unit 39 will likely have shots 100+ yrds.

zornff

All the calibers listed here are great. No matter what you end up with you need to get out and shoot it a lot. Hitting a paper plate at 100 yds is not acceptable, shooting with holes touching is. I have seen too many people shooting 6" groups @ 100 yds and think they are good to go. Whatever you buy figure out what ammo you are going to use, buy plenty of it, and spend time on the range.
Personally I like the rem 700 platform in .308, but 300 win.mag is a top performer for sure.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
All the calibers listed here are great. No matter what you end up with you need to get out and shoot it a lot. Hitting a paper plate at 100 yds is not acceptable, shooting with holes touching is. I have seen too many people shooting 6" groups @ 100 yds and think they are good to go. Whatever you buy figure out what ammo you are going to use, buy plenty of it, and spend time on the range.
Personally I like the rem 700 platform in .308, but 300 win.mag is a top performer for sure.

Sound advice for sure! I'll add that many hunters go to the range once a year and "sight in" their rifles. The rifle is a tool....what needs to be sighted in is the hunter! Hitting your mark in the controlled conditions at the range does not condition you for hitting that prize elk in his home! They don't get big by being stupid! Shoot often so knowing where your gub hits is embedded in your mind so you can focus on other things!