Advice for rifle choice

wesintl

RS Moderator
I'd stick with a bolt for a 1st, I'm not a fan of lever actions. My personal pref though growing up with 30-30 win and a cheek pad. Hated it, I do like the single shot break actions but that is a different type of hunting.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Those look really interesting. looks like there's even muzzleloader barrels available.

Thanks for all the great suggestions everyone. I wish I could shoot some rounds and figure out what I like, but with the info, I feel like if I make a purchase right now, it will do what I need and I can always add to the collection in the future. :thumb:

I actually have a .307Win blued Encore I would make you a smoking deal on. It has open sights but I think I have some rings I'll toss in too. .307 Winchester is essentially the same as a .308. Mo better is I can let you play with it for a bit and see if a single shot break action is for you. I also have walnut stocks and a set of synthetic thumb hole stocks you can play with.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
I actually have a .307Win blued Encore I would make you a smoking deal on. It has open sights but I think I have some rings I'll toss in too. .307 Winchester is essentially the same as a .308. Mo better is I can let you play with it for a bit and see if a single shot break action is for you. I also have walnut stocks and a set of synthetic thumb hole stocks you can play with.

Thanks Kevin. I am going to look around a bit at some of the shops and see what's available and what feels right. I'll let you know if I decide to go the single shot route. :thumb:

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Martin, for your purposes I would stay with bolt action and nothing fancy. .30-06, .308, .270, .300WSM if you want BANG for your buck...

Green Mountain is fine. They do stock some reloading stuff if you want to look into that. Frankly you should check Big R up here! I picked up a Savage AccuTrigger in .243 for cheep, even the 3-9x40 Nikon drop compensation scope it came with is fine. Super accurate, super cheap. Drop-A-Lope at 500 and no pain for it. As long as you don't try to run Remington factory garbage through it.

No, .243 is not big enough for elk IMHO... good deer round though.

Big R often has a sale going on this and that. Talk to Bobby (the manager) and tell him Bill the mini horse guy sent you... :lmao:

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
I checked the Big R up here. I guess I like old-school. Not a single wood stock to be seen. And the ammo shelf = empty. :eek:

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Ammo shelf being empty due to conspiracy websites :lmao:
Wood stocks are highly overrated for field work. Really. If you must, there are some cool thumbhole laminate stocks out there and you can use one down the road. Come on by sometime and I'll show you what I did with my Ruger M77 MkII .308. :D

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I know what you're saying Martin about wood stocks and blued guns, but stainless and composite are getting more common because they are an improvement functionally. I wouldn't get too wrapped around the axle on it. Does it really matter that your rifle is visually period appropriate for your FJ40?

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Stainless doesn't rust and synth stocks dont scratch. Since big game hunting happens in the high country in late fall your gub will get wet and trees branches, rocks, and even your knife and other hardware on your belt will scratch the stock. Synth is also a little bit lighter and it absorbs a small bit of recoil.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
I know what you're saying Martin about wood stocks and blued guns, but stainless and composite are getting more common because they are an improvement functionally. I wouldn't get too wrapped around the axle on it. Does it really matter that your rifle is visually period appropriate for your FJ40?

No, it doesn't matter. Just a visual/tactile thing.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Stainless doesn't rust and synth stocks dont scratch. Since big game hunting happens in the high country in late fall your gub will get wet and trees branches, rocks, and even your knife and other hardware on your belt will scratch the stock. Synth is also a little bit lighter and it absorbs a small bit of recoil.

Makes perfect sense. I guess I could just forgo the grief of scratching the heck out of a shiny new rifle and get something meant to absorb the abuse. I certainly won't be hunting from a truck, so it's going to be subjected to bumps, bruises, mud, rain and snow.

Speaking of seasons, I'm getting ready to do my license applications and my head is spinning with all the preference points - seasons - GMU's - ABC choices - leftover - over the counter - ... Anyone have advice if I'm planning to apply for both Elk and Deer but I'm open to several different units and seasons? I'm not real clear on the stats I'm seeing for the hunt codes and whether I would be wasting choices on the application. Also not clear about getting multiple tags by applying for the draw and purchasing over the counter.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
No, it doesn't matter. Just a visual/tactile thing.
I wouldn't pass up a nice used rifle if it has a wood stock, I agree they look classic and they worked fine for centuries. Just that what you are looking for is a tool not a collectable.

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
My dad has a wood stock/blued rifle, while my brother and I have stainless/synthetic.

His looks way cooler, and is, IMO, a classic. However, in the timber, snow, muck and rain, mine cleans easier, ESPECIALLY in the field, and takes a lot less maintenance when back at home before going back in the safe. After a fall/dropped gun, I can wipe my bolt, chamber, and magazine out very quickly, while he has to make sure he gets his really clean/dry to avoid rusting inside, even over the few days of a hunt.

That said, I'd buy a wood/blue'd gun in a heartbeat, just love the way they look.

wesintl

RS Moderator
I prefer a wood stock. I like the feel and weight stability for freehand shooting you'll likely do in the field vs syn. Some see the downsides of a wood stock but I like the character, Scratches, dents etc. They all tell a story and remind me of hunting trips over the years. Not that there is anything wrong with Syn and stainless. My next rifle will be a Weatherby Mark V accumark 30-378 and its syn stainless

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
I do have to confess that the laminated thumbhole stock I put on the Ruger does feel awfully nice and the weight causes almost absolutely no felt recoil in. 308...

wesintl

RS Moderator
you still like kick start dirt bikes and mini horses though :D

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
Martin I got my Rem 700 with a Nikon Monarch 2.5-10 scope, badger ordinance rail and rings, for $650 shipped off of AR15.com, there are some great deals if you go used. Mine had a box through it to sight it in, otherwise it was new. Its a 308 and a tack driver. Everyone's buying tacticool guns right now the hunting market is strong and not priced at idiot prices.

The stock leaves something to be desired otherwise it's a fine bolt gun.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Drew, have you used the .308 on Elk? I've been considering a .308 but it doesn't seem like it's as popular as some of the other suggested. Also worried about being able to find ammo for it. Actually saw an older Winchester 88 .308 recently that looked old school cool and the price was right.

wesintl

RS Moderator
It's a fine caliber as bill noted it shoots slightly flatter than the .06 and doesn't have as much recoil. Any lost energy down range is minimal and most people can't effectively shoot past 300 yards anyway.