3rd Annual Ghost Town Run - 2007

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
...The tenative schedule has us leaving the Morrison exit off I-70 at 7:30am. ...Any more questions? Feel free to ask.

Ok so I'll see whomever wants to meet at the "geocut" on I-70 on Saturday am, probably go for the NE corner, since the west side is so chewed up with all the construction...

I'm confused about when and where the official meeting point is. :confused:

Jethro

I'll bring potato salad for 25.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
I'm confused about when and where the official meeting point is. :confused:

One and the same, Martin. The Morrison exit off I-70 is affectionately referred to as the Geo-cut, because of the geological wonders of the big cut through the hogback. As kids in the area you actually take a field trip to the area, to learn about the different rock layering, then you head south towards Morrison and see the dinosaur footprints.

This is the next exit past 470 headed west, top of the hill. Or if you're on colfax then don't bother with I-70, just take that all the way up past Heritage square and then stop at I-70. clear as mud? I'll be the other green Land Cruiser loaded up for camping..

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
One and the same, Martin. The Morrison exit off I-70 is affectionately referred to as the Geo-cut, because of the geological wonders of the big cut through the hogback. As kids in the area you actually take a field trip to the area, to learn about the different rock layering, then you head south towards Morrison and see the dinosaur footprints.

This is the next exit past 470 headed west, top of the hill. Or if you're on colfax then don't bother with I-70, just take that all the way up past Heritage square and then stop at I-70. clear as mud? I'll be the other green Land Cruiser loaded up for camping..

Got it, thanks. I may just meet up at the Argentine trailhead since there is noooo way my 40 is keeping up with a bunch of 80's on I-70.

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Got it, thanks. I may just meet up at the Argentine trailhead since there is noooo way my 40 is keeping up with a bunch of 80's on I-70.

Just FYI for those not accustomed to the club's style of caravan:
We use the slowest vehicle to set the pace, no vehicle left behind type of thing.:) :flop:

Martin, if you wish to head up earlier, we'll plan on it. But it is by no means necessary. :thumb:

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
Camp sites

Here is another place you could check for camping. Miner's Creek Road. Its above Frisco and you can legally camp 2 miles? up the road out of town.

Directions:

Turn west at Peak One BLVD. (next stop light south of Main St.) 100yrs turn right and quick left. You will be driving on the bike path but this is a road too. Follow the bike path until it comes to a T with the actual bike path. Go straight onto a dirt road. It makes an immediate left turn up a hill. Follow this road at least two miles up and camp. Miner's Creek will provide water but your on your own for everything else. FYI for some reason its called "Rainbow Lake Rd" on yahoo maps beyond the bike path? Its the road going off the bottom of the page below.

Hope this helps someone out. If you can't find it call me on my cell 970 668-5334. I'll talk you through it or come and show you. I live only 2 blocks away.

Attachments

• mapimage.jpg
    mapimage.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 178

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
Camp sites

There are also a few spots out Tiger Road. They are often full of the ATV / Moto crowd but available never the less. You could also camp up Peru Creek near some old mine sites.

Again water available no toilets. Note water in Peru Creek questionable to drink even filtered.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Here is another place you could check for camping. Miner's Creek Road. Its above Frisco and you can legally camp 2 miles? up the road out of town.

FYI for some reason its called "Rainbow Lake Rd" on yahoo maps beyond the bike path? Its the road going off the bottom of the page below.

Thanks for that post Corbet. I use to wheel up there in my old Toyota PU in the late 80's early 90's, way before the buildings were there and they turned the road into a bike path/road. I haven't been back as I thought they closed it and it gets confusing back in there.

Anywho, I believe the reason for calling it Rainbow Lake Rd is because that little blue lake you see on the map is Rainbow Lake. I don't know what it looks like now but it use to be a beautiful little lake and on a calm day you could get some awesome pics of the mountains reflecting in the water :thumb:. As I recall Miner's Creek Rd was a fun little trail with some boulders etc. I'll have to drive up there and see how the area has changed over the last 15-20 years now that I know it is still open to OHV vehicles.

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
Rainbow Lake Rd/Miner's Creek Rd whatever is pretty much graded and drivable by 2WD car for a few miles. Gets better the farther up you go. I walk the dog around Rainbow Lake almost every morning before work. I have never noticed anything labeling it as Rainbow Lake Rd except when I saw it on Yahoo Maps today. I guess I'll look tomorrow.;) It is open to OHV and there is a maze of old mining roads up above Frisco.

Anyway back on topic, camping available there. Room for many if no one already there this weekend.

Hants

Rising Sun Member
Caroline is baking 2 pies this morning for the potluck. :thumb:

Does anyone have a spare CB? I've got family in town, so we'll be bringing 2 rigs, but I only have 1 CB.

Thanks,
Hants

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Camp area set up!

We got a nice primitive camp area for saturday night. Stayed there last night. Got 4 tents set up.
It is primitive, so bring water and toilet paper. we will be bringing a CM portable toilet.

Fire ban is in effect, so no campfires unless someone has a ring they want to schlep up there.

Meet at the "geocut" at 7am. Nakman and lexusben will be arranging the cravan from the geocut to georgetown. we will be leaving at 7:30am or when evryone is there, whichever comes first.

Fpr those trying to come up tonight, the campground is at milemarker 218 on US 6 between keystone and A-basin, south side of the road, down the dirt road between the trees.

Matt, Perry, cell phones work at the campsite, and I am monitoring the colorado connection. 145.310 w/123.0 tone in denver, 146.790 w/123.0 tone in Breck.

bh4rnnr

Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant
Nathaniel, I may not be able to get up tonight, but will call if I can.

We got a nice primitive camp area for saturday night. Stayed there last night. Got 4 tents set up.
It is primitive, so bring water and toilet paper. we will be bringing a CM portable toilet.

Fire ban is in effect, so no campfires unless someone has a ring they want to schlep up there.

Meet at the "geocut" at 7am. Nakman and lexusben will be arranging the cravan from the geocut to georgetown. we will be leaving at 7:30am or when evryone is there, whichever comes first.

Fpr those trying to come up tonight, the campground is at milemarker 218 on US 6 between keystone and A-basin, south side of the road, down the dirt road between the trees.

Matt, Perry, cell phones work at the campsite, and I am monitoring the colorado connection. 145.310 w/123.0 tone in denver, 146.790 w/123.0 tone in Breck.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Nathaniel, just in case you didn't get my PM, I'm going to miss this run. My 40 is not running right and I have no time to finish the needed repairs. I hate when work gets in the way of life...:rant:

Have fun! :thumb: :beer: :campfire: :beer2:

~jealous~ :(

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Martin just show up tomorrow AM and hop in with someone. Will just be me & the boy all day Saturday.. lots of space.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Martin just show up tomorrow AM and hop in with someone. Will just be me & the boy all day Saturday.. lots of space.

Thanks Tim. I'm tempted, because I was really looking forward to this run, but if I don't use the weekend to fix my 40, I'll miss even more runs. :thumb: :beer:

I would like to bring the wife and kid out on sunday morning. Can someone post up directions to montezuma or a gps loc?:thumb:

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
From I-70 exit in Dillon/Silverthorne. Take HWY 6 towards Keystone. After passing the big skier parking lot stay in the right lane. This will put you on Montezuma rd. (do not take HWY 6 up Loveland pass) Follow the road to Montezuma. Once in town it should be pretty easy to spot club members.