• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

2022 Blow Off Work and Go Wheelin' Run: 21st annual! Wed. 6/29/22

FireMike

Rising Sun Member
Looks like it may normally open 7/1 South Platte Ranger District. We'll see what Matt finds out. Hoping to make this one, just getting the 80 back running since Moab.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Looks like it may normally open 7/1 South Platte Ranger District. We'll see what Matt finds out. Hoping to make this one, just getting the 80 back running since Moab.
It depends on snow. In 2011 it didn't open until 7/14.

2021: Red Cone open 6/26 and Webster/Handcart 7/13.
2020: Red Cone open 6/27 and Webster 7/26.
2019: Red Cone open after 7/26 and Webster after 7/28.
2018: Red Cone open 6/16 and Webster 7/16.

3rdGen4R

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
It depends on snow. In 2011 it didn't open until 7/14.

2021: Red Cone open 6/26 and Webster/Handcart 7/13.
2020: Red Cone open 6/27 and Webster 7/26.
2019: Red Cone open after 7/26 and Webster after 7/28.
2018: Red Cone open 6/16 and Webster 7/16.
Correct. It’s different every year, I do this trail every year and it’s always different.

Shylock

Rock Stacker
I’m thinking of doing the run up Red Cone with you guys,my only concern is I have a 1997 LX450 with only the center differential with 2 inch OME lift. Would that be sufficient enough to make it?
It’s also got rock sliders and armor underneath with a 10S winch.

NotyourmomsWife

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Hey guys. Keela is going out to Red Cone today to check it out and see what’s open and trail conditions. I’ll post up here when I hear back from her.

sunshine_and_jack

Rock Stacker
Hey guys. Keela is going out to Red Cone today to check it out and see what’s open and trail conditions. I’ll post up here when I hear back from her.
Too much lightning/ weather risk to go up today- I am messaging the forest service to see. From Summit side- Websters Pass gate was closed as of yesterday, but I am waiting for the response about Handcart rd (the loop most denverites use to return home).

sunshine_and_jack

Rock Stacker
Update from the Forest service. She’s unsure about the Red Cone side, but normally (to my knowledge) it the saddle that keeps snow until late June/ early July. That saddle, geographically, is where the vertical red cone “descending traffic only” meets websters pass summit and handcart road begins to return to the 285 side. So, I’m thinking it’s probably passable- but we might need to exit red cone via Websters to Montezuma.
Regardless, I plan to go on Wednesday and check it out! 😁.

Attachments

• 987BFAEA-45D0-4AF1-B08D-6A7480890FF7.png
    987BFAEA-45D0-4AF1-B08D-6A7480890FF7.png
    1 MB · Views: 88

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Hey everyone,

I'd like to run Red Cone this summer, but I'm concerned about snow and starting in the afternoon. Maybe we can blow off work another day in July and start in the morning rather than the afternoon.

So let's go run Slaughterhouse Gulch. For those who have run this trail before, it's fun and scenic. If you're new-ish to the club, it's a great first run to do with Rising Sun.

Let's meet at 1:00 pm at the SAFEWAY in Conifer. Address is: 27152 Main St, Conifer, CO 80433
(Yes, we've met at the King Soopers in the past, but there is a Sonic in the same parking lot at the Safeway).
Google Maps link to Safeway

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Unfortunately I have to be out.

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
I am out. Work conflict for Wednesday but I still want to wheel this week, I might start another trip thread for red cone on Friday 7/1....

Jcbmx

Trail Ready
Sweet, I'm close to 99% in...I just need to decide if I call in at the beginning of the day or time it so I can arrive just on time 🤣

Shylock

Rock Stacker
Hey everyone,

I'd like to run Red Cone this summer, but I'm concerned about snow and starting in the afternoon. Maybe we can blow off work another day in July and start in the morning rather than the afternoon.

So let's go run Slaughterhouse Gulch. For those who have run this trail before, it's fun and scenic. If you're new-ish to the club, it's a great first run to do with Rising Sun.

Let's meet at 1:00 pm at the SAFEWAY in Conifer. Address is: 27152 Main St, Conifer, CO 80433
(Yes, we've met at the King Soopers in the past, but there is a Sonic in the same parking lot at the Safeway).
Google Maps link to Safeway
Excited to join

bassguyry

Commander + Cruise Moab Chairman
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I'm out. Work sucks, and I can't blow it off on Wednesday. :(

Doughboy

Rising Sun Member
No!!!!! 😱
71, the starter wouldn't disengage and I'm sure it's gone with the amount of smoke coming from the truck. Pretty sure it's cooked. The 81 drive flanges and birfields splines went...

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
FYI: we plan to go to Snowpack Taproom & Pizzeria after we're off the trail. I'm guessing we'll be there at 4:30-5:00, but last year I think we got there earlier. If you can't make the run but you want to come have a slice of pizza, you're welcome to join us.

11863 Springs Rd #210, Conifer, CO 80433
Google Maps link