• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

2022 Blow Off Work and Go Wheelin' Run: 21st annual! Wed. 6/29/22

VoodooBlue_Vixen

Rising Sun Member
Last year Red Cone opened 6/26 by volunteers. Handcart Gulch was closed due to snow: Webster/Handcart didn't open until 7/13:

So Red Cone was one-way from 285 through to Keystone; no return back to 285 until 7/13.

2020: Red Cone open 6/27 and Webster 7/26.
2019: Red Cone open after 7/26 and Webster after 7/28.
2018: Red Cone open 6/16 and Webster 7/16.

I ran Red Cone early last season. The back side was a sheet of ice still, so it turned into an out & back run. And that made it take a really long day.
I love that trail though, I'd be down! The 29th works better for my schedule as well.

Last edited:

Doughboy

Rising Sun Member
I'm in

HoneyBadger

Rising Sun Member
The Red Cone trail is not difficult. Stock height vehicles, with armor, should be fine with some good line choices. A locker is a must though, otherwise you'll be getting strapped through some flexy spots. I feel like it's overall difficulty has dropped in the last few years. The rock garden is fully optional. The first obstacle has been worn down and is easily doable for stock height vehicles with some good spotting and possibly a small tug.
Webster pass will not be open. I promise you. I don't think I've ever seen it clear of snow before July 4th, even on bad snow years. So it'll definitely be an up and over sort of thing.
So, good tires, a locker, and good driver mods. It should all go smoothly.

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
Interested and hopefully in

subzali

Hard Core 4+
It’s June already! Almost time!

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee
damn it. just found out work is sending me to the other side of the pond again that week. i'll be there in spririt.

HoneyBadger

Rising Sun Member
damn it. just found out work is sending me to the other side of the pond again that week. i'll be there in spririt.
I think you're missing the "blow off work" part of this event...;)

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee

NotyourmomsWife

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Nope. Today is June 10. I will call the local ranger district to ask about Red Cone in 2 weeks to see if it's open.
@Hulk i have a friend out that way who’s offered to go check it out in person if we want her to, let me know!

MATPHAT

Lifted
Erg! I need to check the forums more often. I still have the 22nd in my calendar and thats what I'm blowing off. Sad to miss the run! What else is open and awesome?

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Erg! I need to check the forums more often. I still have the 22nd in my calendar and thats what I'm blowing off. Sad to miss the run! What else is open and awesome?
Sorry, dude! I haven't been out much since Moab, but I'm sure there are plenty of trails open.

MATPHAT

Lifted
Sorry, dude! I haven't been out much since Moab, but I'm sure there are plenty of trails open.
No problems at all Hulk! I haven't been on at all since Moab. By the way, me and the boy found good camping and ended up not staying with all yall at the Old Spanish. Thanks for the invite anyway. Much appreciated!