• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

2020 Triple Bypass Run....FO REALS!!!

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
@Romer @Mendocino , I took both of you off the list. I can't fault you for taking advantage of a Maze opportunity. :thumb:

Everyone else please post up if you are still wanting to go. It's just a little over a month away! :woot:

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
With no leadville 100 and moved to labor day I may be able to come give some history on this run. My son and i have been wanting to hike castle peak too.
That would be awesome! So do you want me to put you down as a participant or are you just going to hang out?

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
I've updated the first post with some more info and taking names off of who have pulled out. Please post up if you are still going.

ddelong6767

Lifted
I'd like to jump in if I can get my 60 back together in time. The LS is sitting on the engine stand at the moment waiting on a replacement lifter set and camshaft to be installed. I was planning on working on it today and this weekend so it shouldn't be a problem to finish it in time. Nothing like a deadline to motivate you though!

Also, if anyone is coming through Buena Vista you're welcome to stop in at the shop, we could even do a lunch break or something if enough folks are traveling together.

RayRay27

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Here's a short video from the scouting trip Nic and I just took last weekend.

Fisher67

Rising Sun Member
Nic,

still very excited for the run. Might want to go with the group running the passes clockwise, as I might bail out in Aspen to grouse hunt and hang with aunt and uncle.

best,

todd

3rdGen4R

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Yup! I actually am looking forward to this and will be doing a one over of the 4runner on the 31st!

FunkyYota

Rising Sun Member
For what its worth, I'll be running Taylor and Pearl this weekend if anyone is interested. Leaving denver bright and early tomorrow morning.

Went through the cruiser this week, checked torque and topped up fluids. Getting psyched.

LXBRADY

Hard Core 4+
5/8/20 UPDATE: I think I'm going to go ahead and cap the limit on each group to 8 trucks. That is where we're currently at now and I don't want to push it any larger. I'll create a waiting list if anyone else is interested from this point on. There's always some natural attrition as life happens so don't be afraid to post up if you want a chance to get in.

As stated on another post, I'm going to look into the formal side of things and make sure we're doing this proper. If anything needs to be changed as a result, I'll update the thread.

5/5/20 UPDATE: This is looking more and more promising like it is going to happen! :woot:As a result, and from Phillip @3rdGen4R volunteering to help out, we're going to make a second group and run in two different directions. Just to keep things clean (unless you prefer something else) for now we'll keep it with whomever has signed up already and is on the first list will still go with me. Whomever is on the waiting list and signs up from this point on will run with Phil. We'll still keep it under 10 trucks per group to keep things moving. And again, although I don't want to be "exclusive", this really isn't a run for beginners. The whole intent is to try to do it all in one shot and the trucks will have to keep moving to get that done.

Wanted to go ahead and gauge some interest. The other thread was getting some attention so here goes this one...

Who knows what this winter will hold for snow but we can still get something penciled in. For now, I think we shoot for Labor Day weekend which is 9/5-9/7. I will try to make a 4 day weekend out of it personally but we won't do the group thing until Saturday.

So here are the official items:

What: Triple Bypass Run - covering Taylor, Pearl and Italian (not necessarily in that order) passes in one day. This will be pretty difficult and will require lockers front and rear or equivalent. (modern ATRAC)

Who: Experienced drivers with capable rigs. In order to accomplish the intended goals of this trip (all three passes in one day), everyone will need to be able to keep up with the person in front of them. There will be some challenging obstacles and parts with sketchy traction. We'll stick together as a group but please don't be the one who holds everybody up.

When: 9/4 - 9/7 (tentatively) If this is able to happen this year, I plan on driving down on Thursday night, 9/3, and securing a camp spot for the group.

Where: Camp will be at Dorchester Campground. This is primitive camping but it is RV friendly if you choose to bring a camper. There are vault toilets but no other amenities. (i.e. - running water, trash cans, general store, etc.)

UPDATE: A secondary location will be Taylor Park area. @RayRay27 and I did a scouting run last weekend and camped here:

https://goo.gl/maps/NNoZZ2GuLGq2R8CT8 There's a TON of big open campsites in that area that would be perfect for big groups.

I've officially taken Thursday and Friday off of work so I'm hoping to get down there Wednesday night to secure a spot for us. There's areas with Wifi close enough to where we'll be that I can update this thread once a spot is secured.

This will be it for now. I'll update as time gets closer and it looks like we'll be able to run it.

Post up if you want to go and I'll start a list. I'm keeping it at 10 rigs to give us a fighting chance of completing all of the passes in one day.

1. Me
2. @rover67 - Marco
3. @ajordan1975 - Andy
5. @DaveInDenver - Dave
7. @gungriffin - Ryan
8. @LXBRADY - Steve
9. @Beach Boy - Brian
10. @LARGEONE - Paul

Phillip's group
1. @3rdGen4R - Phillip
2. @Basaltfj40 - Peter
3. @Fisher67 - Todd
4. @AimCOTaco - Andy
5. @MTSN - Matt
6. @RayRay27 - Ray
7. @FunkyYota

I have to back out of this, unfortunately.

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
I'd like to jump in if I can get my 60 back together in time. The LS is sitting on the engine stand at the moment waiting on a replacement lifter set and camshaft to be installed. I was planning on working on it today and this weekend so it shouldn't be a problem to finish it in time. Nothing like a deadline to motivate you though!

Also, if anyone is coming through Buena Vista you're welcome to stop in at the shop, we could even do a lunch break or something if enough folks are traveling together.
Yeah man! Glad to have ya!

RayRay27

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
v1B8lhkx70Nqw.gif

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Unfortunately I can’t make it. 😢

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member

FunkyYota

Rising Sun Member
Unfortunately I can’t make it. 😢
Bummer! I was psyched to see the v8!

@Stuckinthe80s Is someone going to have APRS or some other means for us to locate the campsite definitively on Friday?

I'm planning to head over Friday after work. We probably wont be getting in until dusk.

How are we breaking up the two groups? One going clockwise, one going counter clockwise?

Beach Boy

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Is there a fire ban in Colorado, if not, I have alot of firewood I can bring. If there is a fire ban, is a propane fire pit allowed?

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee

RayRay27

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee

@Stuckinthe80s Is someone going to have APRS or some other means for us to locate the campsite definitively on Friday?

I'm planning to head over Friday after work. We probably wont be getting in until dusk.

How are we breaking up the two groups? One going clockwise, one going counter clockwise?

This is where we stayed a few weeks ago when we did the pre-run. There is dispersed camping all over the area. I circled a few spots for camping. 742 is the main road coming in from Taylor Res. Dorchester campground is few more miles up the road from this spot. Based on the scouting trip there were a ton of people in the area camping and riding side x sides and since this will be a long holiday weekend there may be even more people. To make a long story short who ever gets there first will need to try identify a location.

For the HAM users, I will try to be there friday early afternoon some time, I will have my radio on (147.420) once you get to the top of Cottonwood pass you can call me on the radio and I will try to give you directions to the camp spot. I don't have ARPS so I can't help you there but the radio signal you get on top of Cottonwood pass is pretty amazing.

I don't know if @Stuckinthe80s has anything to add.

1598887879737.png

bassguyry

Commander + Cruise Moab Chairman
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Man, I wish I could go with you guys. Moving sucks. :(

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member

I'm hoping to get down there Wednesday night and secure a spot. Brain, @Beach Boy , is going to be down there Wednesday as well. Once we secure a spot (by Thursday at the latest) I will update this thread with the coordinates so everybody will know where to head. I will try to have my APRS working but I haven't had much luck with it on past excursions so I can't make any promises.

There's a pretty good chance that we'll be camping in the general area @RayRay27 listed. As he also referenced, I was able to reach him loud and clear when he was at camp and I was at the top of Cottonwood pass. So worse case scenario, just call out when you get close.

As far as the route goes, there are a lot of people having to bail last minute so we might be running just one group. If we still have enough for two groups, then yes, one group will go clockwise and the other will go counter-clockwise. If it is just one group, we'll get a general consensus and go with that. I'm really flexible and I'm sure the group will be as well.